USUHS NAVY or ARMY ?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by tdinh12, Oct 11, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tdinh12

tdinh12 2+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I'll have my interview at USUHS in a few weeks and I'm trying to decide which brand to go (I'm leaning toward Navy and Army ). I'm from California and it would be nice if I could get back here during my 3rd/4rd year, internship, residency. Can anyone from either Navy or Army give me some current information about the likelihood of getting into a residency vs going to a GMO tour for each brand. What are some factors that affect the possibility of getting to the preferred location of choice? Any information that you wish you know before you accept the school's offer? Thank you!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    I won't pretend to know the answer, but when we had our orientation, they told us that the Navy is slowly phasing out GMOs with the exception of dive and flight. However, they also said that while more residents will do straight through training, they still need people to do operational medicine, so the difference will effectively be that you could do your fleet time after residency rather than before. I believe that's closer to what the Army does.

So you likely won't escape it, you'd just be residency trained when you go.

Edit: also depends on the specialty. Some will likely almost always require a gmo tour.

4. tdinh12

tdinh12 2+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2015
    Does certain specialty have a higher chance of going straight to residency? for example family med vs anesthesiologist ?

5. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    Like I said, I'm no expert. I worked with a GMO who has applied for rads twice and didn't match either time. She told me rads is absurdly competitive. I think there is a Navy anesthesiologist on here who can give more insight into anesthesiology specifically, but family med is one of the few that offer straight through contracts upfront. EM has begun doing categoricals too apparently, but I don't know what percentage of applicants get categorical versus intern only spots and won't speculate.

On the other hand, the internists I know went straight through. However, I asked about going straight into fellowship and was told that is very uncommon.

Things also fluctuate and may be different in 4 years, but I think it is likely that competitive specialties like rads will stay the way they are.

6. HighPriest

HighPriest insert "clever" statement 7+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Army
    The Army will probably not send you on a GMO tour unless you fail to match, switch residencies, or ask for a GMO tour. That being said, you will almost certainly not be stationed in California, unless you're at Ft. Irwin, which is reportedly the third layer of hell. Also, don't join the Army. The Army sucks for the myriad of reasons that I and others have listed elsewhere on this site.

68PGunner and Matthew9Thirtyfive like this.
  7. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness 10+ Year Member

May 26, 2007
    Physician
    The Navy has been 'phasing out' GMOs for longer than current applicants have been alive.

8. HighPriest

HighPriest insert "clever" statement 7+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Army
    Everybody has a plan to do everything. The Army has been almost ready to start a new PT test format since the mid-80s.

9. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    Fair enough. As I said, just reporting what I was told at orientation. You guys know better than me.

10. WernickeDO

WernickeDO Mending tents 5+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Tatooine
    Ahhh...the GMO phase-out. The kind of general malaise that the hopeful possess and the non-select lament.

Take your pick: Get stuck in a $#!tty operational job before you gain any real skills or after residency when the aforementioned skills rot. If you join the military, you will ALWAYS be at risk for one of these jobs, either as a intern (GMO) or as a board certified doc.

OP if your goal is to live and practice in California then avoid the military. Yes the Navy has spots in CA but there's no guarantee you will get that assignment despite your native affiliation. If you stay civilian then you can apply to CA schools and when you graduate apply to CA residencies.

And yes, Ft Irwin is the 3rd layer of hell. Leave it to the Army to find the worst section of CA and set up shop there.

Matthew9Thirtyfive and 68PGunner like this.
  11. 68PGunner

68PGunner 5+ Year Member

Sep 16, 2012
    As a prior enlisted soldier in the Army, stay the hell away from the Army. Join the Navy if you have to choose one between the two branches. Army is 3x worse than the Navy in term of everything. Don't get suckered by your recruiter bragging about Ft. Irwin in California. I have been to the hellhole known as NTC 5 times throughout my 4 years in the Army. There's not a single word to describe the magnitude of suck in that hole. It's like a nuclear wasteland in the middle of nowhere.

12. Riles

Riles 2+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2015
    Whats the best Army base?

(i.e. where should I top spot my residency app)

13. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Physician
    Tripler, Madigan, DC

14. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    Yeah, that was what I got out of it and tried to include in my post. Basically, even if you don't get sent to the fleet after intern year, you're likely to go at some point. I'm honestly not sure if I'd rather go after intern year or finish residency first.

15. backrow

backrow 60% of the time it works everytime Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Primary care: after residency is better in my opinion.

Surgical or non primary care: before. Going after can be a big time career downer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Matthew9Thirtyfive likes this.
  16. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Foxy.

Jan 10, 2016
    That's a good point. I asked Col Buller (the current CO at USUSH) about it, since he's an OB/GYN. He said it is rough coming back after a gmo tour and having to relearn procedures you haven't done for a couple years.

17. BlackFrancis33

BlackFrancis33 7+ Year Member

Oct 10, 2008
    Physician
    Army
    Argument(s) against joining the Navy - I see my Navy colleagues flocking to Admin positions >> Army to make the next rank. The O-5 promotions have been brutal in the Navy compared to the Army. In the Navy, if you do a 2 year GMO after intern year (likely), then a 2-4 year residency, then serve the last 2 years of your 4 year commitment, you will only receive your full specialty pay for 2 years. The equivalent Army path is med school-residency-then 4 years of receiving full specialty pay. I can't argue with JRTC, NTC, and the post-residency operational tour in the Army, which are rough.