USUHS prior service pay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AirborneBearcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm debating whether or not to put USUHS as my priority over HPSP or not (currently I am leaning more towards USUHS), but just had a quick question about how the pay works at USUHS. I'm currently an Army ROTC cadet that was prior enlisted in the Army National Guard. By the time I commission I'll be about a month shy of 4 years in service. If I go to USUHS, will I receive O-1 with my current 3-4 years of service, or does that time in service reset as it was enlisted guard/reserves time? I ask because it would be pretty awesome to get O-1 with 4 years in service while still in school, and that would definitely help me feel better about the 7 year ADSO USUHS requires over the 4 year ADSO for HPSP :)

Also, I know I've read that there is no "extended summer break" at USUHS, as there is additional summer training that you do. How much time off in the summer can I realistically expect? What kinds of summer training opportunities does USUHS offer? Is it all medically related or do they also have other specialty school options (Air Assault, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

i do not think theres money or enough interest for air assault

yeah i think it has to be medically related; there is time in the summer for you to relax and unwind. i would say about a 1.5 weeks?

you can go to air assault, airborne, or army flight surgeon basic course during your fourth year as a Military and Emergency Medicine elective clerkship.

During the summers you won't be able to go, but there are some very cool medical training options.