USUHS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big_Z

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently interviewed at USUHS, was a busy day and didn't quite get all my questions answered. I'm prior service (Albeit national guard) and my contracts up in about 6 months.

1) Whats the actual service commitment here? 4 years of schooling and then 7 years service commitment? Or does residency not count towards your service commitment?

2) What military exercises will we have to partake in outside of the schooling? I know we start with officer training school (1 month) and then move into the actual school. We work during the full "summer break" every year? Is there any other excercises we have to do during the year?

3) Do you feel like the military gets in the way of your education while at USUHS?

4) Any regrets about going to USUHS? What if it's your only acceptance?

5) Whats the deployment tempo for mil physicians? Lots of TDY?

6) Any advice on DD form 368?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of these questions can be answered by reading the forum. That said:

1. Commitment is 7years. Residency does not count for payback (it actually accrues time if you have already paid off your commitment)
2. You have military classes sprinkled throughout the year. A couple of bigger exercises after first year and during fourth year with shorter activities sprinkled throughout. You also do some kind of military thing the first summer. (Though I went to USUHS a few years ago so the exact things you do may have changed some)
3. No, not while at USUHS. Where the military starts getting in your way is later in your career.
4. I don’t have any regrets myself.
5. See the rest of the forum. You mileage on this question will vary depending on service and specialty.
6. I don’t know what form that is.

Recently interviewed at USUHS, was a busy day and didn't quite get all my questions answered. I'm prior service (Albeit national guard) and my contracts up in about 6 months.

I probably saw you there! Hope you get good news.

1) Whats the actual service commitment here? 4 years of schooling and then 7 years service commitment? Or does residency not count towards your service commitment?

To expand on this, residency actually incurs a commitment. But you can serve it concurrently with your USUHS commitment. What this means for most people is that your commitment after you finish residency is 7 years. If you do a GMO, then those years count toward your commitment and things can get a little confusing if you do a GMO or two and then do a long residency. But no, residency does not count toward your commitment. And fellowship does not either, and adds time because you can't serve residency, school, and fellowship ADSO all at once.

2) What military exercises will we have to partake in outside of the schooling? I know we start with officer training school (1 month) and then move into the actual school. We work during the full "summer break" every year? Is there any other excercises we have to do during the year?

There is no full summer break really. We are on a shortened preclerkship curriculum which means the preclerkship period ends December of M2 and we start rotations the next month. So during the "summer" between M1 and M2, you get a 5 week period where you have to do a 2-week summer operation experience and a 1-week combat medicine course. The other 2 weeks you get for yourself and can take leave if you want.

Other than that, it is very non-obtrusive. You do MFP 101 after the first module of school. It's a 10-day FTX where you go be patients for the 4th years doing their final field practicum followed by 5 days of playing soldier (you shoot the M9, do some land nav, combatives, a cool LRC course, etc). It was actually really fun and a good break between modules. During each module there is a day where you do a 3-4 hour lab on a combat medical skill. We did suturing, primary/secondary surveys, and splinting during MSK. During cardio/pulmonary/renal we will do hemorrhage control. It's literally one afternoon a module.

Personally, I think the mandatory stuff that is obtrusive is the stuff they schedule right before finals. We had a 3 hour session on ethics the afternoon before our OSCE and half of it was a small group exercise so you couldn't just anki the whole time. They do stuff like that a lot. It's sort of the only part of the curriculum I don't like so far.

3) Do you feel like the military gets in the way of your education while at USUHS?

Only an MS1, but so far not at all.

I had multiple acceptances and am so glad I chose USUHS. I already had 7 years prior service, so I knew what I was getting into with the military though.

Depends on your specialty, branch, and what's going on. I won't pretend like I can answer this.

I actually didn't need this form, but I did end up getting it filled out anyway. I just filled it out, had my division officer (not sure what you call them in the nat guard, but it's the officer directly in charge of us) route it up to our commanding officer, and then our command master chief sent it over to the personnel office in millington. It was very easy, they just wanted some very specific wording on it for some reason. But it was actually for when I was applying for HPSP. I didn't need to have that form for USUHS. I was on active duty when applying and had no break in service though, so that might be why.

Members don't see this ad :)

Army. Graduated 7 years ago. But i’ll Echo what was said above

1. 7 years post residency. If you do gmo time and pay off some of that and then go to residency and the residency is longer than the commitment you get more payback. Ie. 7 year commitment. Intern year (wash), GMO for 3 years take commitment to 4 years. Then you do a longer (5 year) residency, your commitment would be 5 years after completion of residency.

2. Initial officer training. Brief FTX after first year. Then a military experience of some sort after first year. A few military specific medicine classes (which weren’t really time consuming). Bushmaster during 4th year (which meets your C4 requirement so you won’t have to do that during intern year). Depending on your residency program/program director that may earn you an extra week of vacation intern year

3. Not at all. I actually think the quality of the education I got at USUHS was incredibly great and very very underrated. That being said I was on the old curriculum and don’t really know about the new one. I can’t imagine the quality has changed too much.

4. Having done general surgery and now trauma fellowship I and knowing what the current state of case volume in military surgery is I’m not sure I’d do it again because of the long commitment. I’d definitely choose to get the same education and go to the same residency program again as a civilian if I could. The advice I generally give people now is, do your school and training and then join on the back end if you still want to join. It was my first interview and acceptance and didn’t have any other interviews for awhile. Then they all started rolling in late in the cycle after I had gone through the process at usuhs. I only went on one more. Got in. But had already done all the USUHS stuff had fallen into the fear of all the debt. So I went with it.

5. Specialty specific. General surgery is one of the most highly deployed AOCs in the entire army. Line mos/aoc included. ER, ortho, and anesthesia are all pretty highly deployed too. Some specialties are not deployed very highly at all.

6. Like above. No idea what that is security clearance?

Thank you all for the replies. Sounds mostly positive.

Just to clarify the form is a conditional release from the reserves to join active duty. I'm sure not many of you needed it but filling forms in is not my wheelhouse unfortunately so i'm slightly confused.

I think they said a 91% match rate into first choice specialty. Can anyone chime in on how this relates to other medical schools? Sounds pretty good to me.