USUHS vs. HPSP military residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brats800

cheesehead
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's the question. i'm looking at USUHS and HPSP programs. what will affect my residency? i've heard that USUHS students tend to get their top choice residencies over the HPSP students (is this because USUHS students have to go within the military while HPSP can opt for civilian residencies?) anyway, is there a difference between the 2 programs for getting into a residency? i'm very interested in military medicine (EM or Aerospace). for those of you who picked one over the other, what helped make your decision? i haven't visited USUHS, but i'm really excited about it from things i've read.

Members don't see this ad.

If you look at the match statistics published by the army, the results are virtually identical for HPSP vs. USUHS. They list the percentage of applicants in HPSP USUHS and ROTC getting their 1st - 5th choices:

Look under statistics in the undergraduate medical education section of this website:

http://meded.amedd.army.mil/

Unfortunately, the most recent stats are for 2001. You should also note that there is a PGY-2 match for everyone with unpublished stats. There may be different results there.

Ed

I'm an HPSP student and as far as I know, the USUHS students have to take a military residency. Whereas HPSP students can get deferments for civy residency. Thus, if you're competing with someone who has to do a residency in the military, you might not be selected for it and get a civilian deferment. But then again, if you're looking for derm, you might not get selected for it in either military or civilian.

We should also understand that, as an HPSP student, you should get in writing any agreement from the government that allows you to do a civilian residency. The Navy, in particular, has a dismal record of pulling residents out after PGY-1 to go on active duty. I would imagine that it would be somewhat difficult to just "pick back up" where you started from after that.

Air Force HPSP vs. USUHS (most likely applicaple to all services)
http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/edu/MED-Briefing1.ppt
(FYI AFPC: Air Force Personnel Center ie. The "horses mouth")
Slide 5, Slide 8: USUHS must to active duty residency; HPSP may apply to civilian or military residency
So...a USUHS grad will bump an HPSP grad for a residency slot.
One more point: May apply to civilian and military residency means you must apply to military and (most likely will) apply to civilian and if selected for a military residency you must take it (you can't say you'd rather do the civilian res-besides the military does its match before all others)