USUHS with Children

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stewjds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I am repeating a thread here. I am new to this and this will be my first post. That being said, I am an older student looking to attend USUHS. I am married with 2 young children: 6 and 2.

How is life for the family in the Bethesda area. I am former army, so I am well aware of the military lifestyle, but completely new to the officer and milmed life.

Any advice from former or current students that attended with a family would be very helpful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bethesda is a nice city, despite the traffic, but it's expensive.

Lots of people live up 270 towards Germantown where the cost of living is (a little) less expensive. I lived in Damascus for USUHS + internship and it was a great place to have small kids.

Bethesda is a nice city, despite the traffic, but it's expensive.

Lots of people live up 270 towards Germantown where the cost of living is (a little) less expensive. I lived in Damascus for USUHS + internship and it was a great place to have small kids.
Looking back on your time at USUHS, knowing everything you do know, would you still have gone the military route?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a complicated question.

I started at USUHS in 1997. Med school debt calculus is different now (for civilians it's far more expensive and they graduate with a far higher debt load, on average). The military is different too - the patient population has changed as Tricare/etc pushed sick & old people out, overall GME quality has declined (though some specialties remain excellent), pay hasn't kept up with inflation ...

We spent the better part of a decade at war, something I knew was possible but didn't really expect in 1997 since, well, even our involvement in WWII only lasted 4 years.

I'm glad I went to USUHS. The pay up front and the lack of debt allowed me to comfortably have kids years earlier than I would have otherwise, and that benefit is hard to quantify. It's a great school. I had excellent residency training, though about 1/3 of it was at outside institutions (some good and some bad points about that). I did a GMO tour and made the best of it, even enjoyed parts of it despite the delay in training and the opportunity cost of 3 years spent treading professional water. The Navy hasn't abused me and I've been more or less content thus far.

Others' experiences vary.

Would I join today as a pre-med in 2014? I don't know. Maybe? If I could live my life over again 100 times I'd do 100 different things. That wouldn't imply regret for life #1 or #62.

A 7 year payback is a long time especially when you consider that the clock doesn't tick during 4 years of active duty during med school and 3-6+ years of internship/residency training. It's not just 7 years in uniform. It's 14-17, minimum. That's a long time to commit to any job.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a complicated question.

I started at USUHS in 1997. Med school debt calculus is different now (for civilians it's far more expensive and they graduate with a far higher debt load, on average). The military is different too - the patient population has changed as Tricare/etc pushed sick & old people out, overall GME quality has declined (though some specialties remain excellent), pay hasn't kept up with inflation ...

We spent the better part of a decade at war, something I knew was possible but didn't really expect in 1997 since, well, even our involvement in WWII only lasted 4 years.

I'm glad I went to USUHS. The pay up front and the lack of debt allowed me to comfortably have kids years earlier than I would have otherwise, and that benefit is hard to quantify. It's a great school. I had excellent residency training, though about 1/3 of it was at outside institutions (some good and some bad points about that). I did a GMO tour and made the best of it, even enjoyed parts of it despite the delay in training and the opportunity cost of 3 years spent treading professional water. The Navy hasn't abused me and I've been more or less content thus far.

Others' experiences vary.

Would I join today as a pre-med in 2014? I don't know. Maybe? If I could live my life over again 100 times I'd do 100 different things. That wouldn't imply regret for life #1 or #62.

A 7 year payback is a long time especially when you consider that the clock doesn't tick during 4 years of active duty during med school and 3-6+ years of internship/residency training. It's not just 7 years in uniform. It's 14-17, minimum. That's a long time to commit to any job.
Thank you for your very detailed response. It is very helpful. I think I might have to remember you if I have any other questions. Thank you again.