Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCBShocker

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, can anyone tell me what a new student to USUHS makes a month after taxes? I can add the BAH BAs and Base myself but I have no idea what this amounts to after deductions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

go to www.npc.navy.mil
click on the officer link and scroll to career tools. there should be link for pay and compensation calculator.

I believe it is in the neighborhood of $3300/month after federal tax.

UCBShocker said:
Hey, can anyone tell me what a new student to USUHS makes a month after taxes? I can add the BAH BAs and Base myself but I have no idea what this amounts to after deductions. Thanks.

somewhere around $3,000. I think I have a few deductions that aren't necessary, but they probably add to only around 300 or so a month

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason we're having trouble telling you is because it depends what state you're from. I'm from CA, and so I don't have any state taxes taken out. With my extra bit for being married with dependents, I get $3800 every month. Hope that helped!

UCBShocker said:

USUHS2008 said:
The reason we're having trouble telling you is because it depends what state you're from. I'm from CA, and so I don't have any state taxes taken out. With my extra bit for being married with dependents, I get $3800 every month. Hope that helped!

I am from CA too, but dont we have state taxes? I remember hearing a list of states without taxes, but CA was not among them. Maybe I am missing something here, can ya clue me in? Also, an unrelated question: Are we expected to show with our service jacket on the first day? I have been getting conflicting information about just short sleeve blues, and short sleeve blues with jacket. Seeing how the weather is going to be, I would hope the former was the preferred method, but its not like it would be anything new hehe.... gotta love that Maxwell WBGT.

UCBShocker said:
I am from CA too, but dont we have state taxes? I remember hearing a list of states without taxes, but CA was not among them. Maybe I am missing something here, can ya clue me in?

If you claim California residency, in the military and stationed anywhere but Cali--the state income tax is not withheld from your paycheck...

A few states have similar provisions for the Armed Services members...

grmaster1 said:
If you claim California residency, in the military and stationed anywhere but Cali--the state income tax is not withheld from your paycheck...

A few states have similar provisions for the Armed Services members...

I'm not sure about Cali, but most military members pay income tax (if applicable) to their home state of record. I know TN (except dividends), TX, FL, WY, AK, and a few others don't have state income tax. I guess some states may have provisions to get around paying income tax if you are military, but I think it is rare.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
I'm not sure about Cali, but most military members pay income tax (if applicable) to their home state of record. I know TN (except dividends), TX, FL, WY, AK, and a few others don't have state income tax. I guess some states may have provisions to get around paying income tax if you are military, but I think it is rare.

Here's a link

Cali taxes for military

Page 3, Section E...

Anyway, there are seven states that don't have state income tax (you listed a few); however, they have a $hitload of other taxes to make up for it...

I remember that New York has the same deal for military--if you're stationed "out-of-state" on permanent orders--no state income tax...

And, there may be other states like that, but I only had to care about CA, NY, and FL...