SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USUHS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DZT, Mar 27, 2002.

1. DZT

DZT Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm just wondering what is term of military service after graduating from USUHS?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. California

California Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2002
    The Golden State
    On my interview day, I believe I was told that the term of military service is seven years of active duty.

I don't know what your situation is...whether you have been accepted at USUHS...other medical schools...etc...but I would definitely make sure you know what you are getting yourself into if you decide to go to USUHS. Military medicine takes a lot of committment and is definitely different from what most people expect of civilian physicians. After my interview, I realized USUHS was not the right place of me. Fortunately, I was accepted to a few other medical schools so I had no hesitation about withdrawing my application.

Good luck to you whatever your situation may be.

4. DZT

DZT Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    7 YEARS? Ouch! Well, I guess that I prob wont be all set with my loans by then. So its a good option. But I hear that servicemen/women get preference.

5. Droopy

Droopy Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Northeast
    you can probably do a search on sdn to find more info about this topic but here is my brief synopsis:
    the commitment for USUHS is 7 years not including internship/residency. your residency counts toward retirement but not towards your payback of 7 years. if you do a residency in orthopedics (5 years), you then have 7 years commitment with 5 years towards retirement (earliest is 20 years for retirement). after your internship, you can be assigned as a general medical officer (gmo). i believe most tours are 2 years which count towards payback and then you compete for residency (most times you are given preference for being a gmo).
    PM me if you have any other questions, i have spent the last 6 years in the military.