Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

USUHS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DZT, Mar 27, 2002.

1. DZT

DZT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm just wondering what is term of military service after graduating from USUHS?

2. California

California Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

On my interview day, I believe I was told that the term of military service is seven years of active duty.

I don't know what your situation is...whether you have been accepted at USUHS...other medical schools...etc...but I would definitely make sure you know what you are getting yourself into if you decide to go to USUHS. Military medicine takes a lot of committment and is definitely different from what most people expect of civilian physicians. After my interview, I realized USUHS was not the right place of me. Fortunately, I was accepted to a few other medical schools so I had no hesitation about withdrawing my application.

Good luck to you whatever your situation may be.

3. DZT

DZT Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7 YEARS? Ouch! Well, I guess that I prob wont be all set with my loans by then. So its a good option. But I hear that servicemen/women get preference.

4. Droopy

Droopy Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    you can probably do a search on sdn to find more info about this topic but here is my brief synopsis:
    the commitment for USUHS is 7 years not including internship/residency. your residency counts toward retirement but not towards your payback of 7 years. if you do a residency in orthopedics (5 years), you then have 7 years commitment with 5 years towards retirement (earliest is 20 years for retirement). after your internship, you can be assigned as a general medical officer (gmo). i believe most tours are 2 years which count towards payback and then you compete for residency (most times you are given preference for being a gmo).
    PM me if you have any other questions, i have spent the last 6 years in the military.