USyd - Anatomy Summer Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbatman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any other USyd people got the e-mail about the Summer Anatomy course and what they think about it, especially if they've done it.

Think since we get a 'certficate' at the end, anyone think that might help getting a U.S. residency?

Any thoughts?

Gary

Members don't see this ad.

Ignoring the US Residency.. any comments on the summer anatomy course at all? I figure it is like some schools that have a prematriculation to give some students a head start and also to help out non-science majors...

At USyd they don't offer anatomy outright do they? I thought it was something you could take as an elective or something your first year.. or am I confusing usyd with another school?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Gary

I spoke with the head of Anatomy when I was down there -- there is no hands-on anatomy per se in the programme, but prosections (pre-made slices) laid out for students to study. They used to have dissections in a class offered by the anat. dept., but the med school never reimbursed the department for them (anat. is entirely independent of the med school, is very old and prestigious for PhD's, they have a great path museum, etc.), so the dept stopped offering them. You *might* be able to pay extra and do some sort of elective with grad anat students, i dunno, didn't ask, since it would in any case be a hardcore addition to the normal med programme. The summer course may be a cheaper way for them to essentially do this for N. Americans w/out taking time out from the established programme.

-pitman

Members don't see this ad :)
Many will disagree, but I really don't think dissection is important in an undergraduate medical program. A good path museum and prosected specimens is enough to learn the material.
All we accomplished was turning some poor man's body into mush. I say leave the dissection to the anatomists, but of course that statement's probably sacrilege to some in medicine.

Correct. However, I don't know anything about this optional summer course that's being organized.

You can always dissect your patients on the OR table ;)

Really though, while some (like me) want to "feel" the plumbing to learn it, many have no problem not having dissections. It's a matter of taste (like fava beans?), but if you become a surgeon, PLEASE take a dissection elective!!

-pitman

"interesting...never seen that there before."

Originally posted by The Pill Counter
Many will disagree, but I really don't think dissection is important in an undergraduate medical program. A good path museum and prosected specimens is enough to learn the material.
All we accomplished was turning some poor man's body into mush. I say leave the dissection to the anatomists, but of course that statement's probably sacrilege to some in medicine.

I agree, time can be much better spent at this point. And then students are given expert-level tests on amaturely-performed dissections. :rolleyes: