1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

USydMP reduces international spots

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by Kez, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Kez

Kez New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/applicant/internat/offers.php

Is it just me or did USydMP use to take 60 international students? Anyone know why the sudden drop in positions? Reduced budget? Is 45 what ends up enrolling and that's why they reduced it?

PS. I also noticed they increased the tuition again to nearly 52,000 for the 2008 intake (seen in the USydMP brochure).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hollycozza

5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I doubt it would be reduced budget as I would imagine the international student $$$ help keep the whole faculty afloat!!!

4. driedcaribou

driedcaribou Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I believe that's a more likely explanation. However, it's not revenue neutral.

Local students are charged $38,352 per annum however Internationals are now charged $48,864 per annum for the 2007 intake.

Also, I am not certain that the fee the Int'l students pay actually is enough to fund the Faculty as people often believe.... if you factor in all the existing investments of Australian tax-payers... I don't know if it's that profitable.

Probably enough to pay immediate expenses to hold a program but not enough to put in the bank and buy fancy cars for the faculty.

I also don't know if the Int'l students cause that much of a headache to the Faculty. I know some problem cases tend to get more recognition because they are Int'l students but there are an equal, if not more, local students who are also headaches to the Faculty. Also, local students complain but not directly to the faculty because financially less is at stake.

The most extreme case of Int'l students being annoying is an American who sued the Faculty at Flinders... I think. I don't know the whole story... just that he failed and sued.

5. JoeNamaMD

JoeNamaMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

Many Australian schools began admitting internationals as a way of helping fund their budgets. Some schools like UQ have been increasing international spaces at their university. A lot of Western European schools don't have this issue, British schools regularly shun international students from North America in favor of students from developing countries that lack medical schools.

6. JCYL

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is no longer true. Things have changed since a few years ago. For example, Edinburgh Medical School used to have zero spot for North Americans but now the international spots are open to them. Burmingham is another example, and there're tonnes more. Oxford is also increasing the number of places for international students due to financial crises.