UT Austin Pharmacy Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yukifangfang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying this cycle! I wonder if anyone have already received an interview invitation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying! I'm still waiting for lors to come in though

Did you submit your application through PharmCAS? I am still writing my PS. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. I've sent in the supplemental too. Just waiting for my letters lol

Would you mind sharing your stat? I know that UT astin is a very competitive school to get in. I would like to apply to UT austin too but i am afraid that my stats are not great enough for this school.
Thank you

3.5/91 for me.. Idk if I'll get an interview but I guess we'll see lol

Reactions: 1 user
Do y'all know if UT-Austin is friendly to international students?
My stats 3.8/93 but still struggling with WES atm

Anyone received an interview yet?

From what I hear interview invitations are in Dec. Waiting and focusing on other things in the meantime

Do u think i have a chance for UT Austin? I heard its a very competitive school. Here is my stats
Gpa:4.0
Pcat:81
Few hours shadowing a pharmacist
Volunteer at a hospital and hospice right now.
I know i dont have very good background. I just need advice wherether i should apply for this school or not.
I really appreciate your advices.

Do u think i have a chance for UT Austin? I heard its a very competitive school. Here is my stats
Gpa:4.0
Pcat:81
Few hours shadowing a pharmacist
Volunteer at a hospital and hospice right now.
I know i dont have very good background. I just need advice wherether i should apply for this school or not.
I really appreciate your advices.
your gpa is perfect, and your PCAT is very competitive. I am pretty sure you will get an interview!

your gpa is perfect, and your PCAT is very competitive. I am pretty sure you will get an interview!
thank you! I feel very stressful since U of houston did not call me for an early decision interview. I can't stop thinking that im not competetive enough for UH and Ut austin. Thats why I hesitate to apply to UT austin for regular decision.

Hey guys :) I called today and they said they'll be sending out invitations on the 17th. Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow,thank you for the info. Have you heard anything from other schools?
No problem at all. I have not but I'm thinking by next week I should from at least a couple. A&M is also sending them out next week. How about you?

Last edited:
I'm nervous. I have five prerequisite thru credit by exam and Orgo is lowering my prerequisite Gpa. I hope they consider this when looking at Gpa and invitations

I'm nervous. I have five prerequisite thru credit by exam and Orgo is lowering my prerequisite Gpa. I hope they consider this when looking at Gpa and invitations
Yeah they probably will. It'll help if you have a good PCAT score.

I got the invitation on Nov. 26th.
Oh ok that's good. Mine is taking a little longer but I really hope to get an interview. I think that the reason you haven't recieved any others is because they haven't sent them out yet.

Latest news on research done on ebola vaccine makes UT pharmacy more reputable.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an interview! 1/24 at 1pm. Anyone else?

Has anyone had experience with being wait listed for interviews at UT? I got an email saying that i'm on that list T.T praying a spot opens up!

Woo hoo! Got an interview invite. I'll be there on Saturday Jan 24th at the afternoon session. See you guys then!

Got waitlisted. No idea what that entails, but congrats to everyone that received an interview :D

Has anyone had experience with being wait listed for interviews at UT? I got an email saying that i'm on that list T.T praying a spot opens up!

Did you hear anything about the wait list yet? I emailed ann spencer and she said that only about 2-3 students decline interviews each year :(

Got an interview for the afternoon session on the 24th!

how are yall preparing for MMI? ive never heard of it before

Got an invite for January 31st! See yall there :D!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we will be receiving an update regarding what pre-requisites are yet to be completed, similar to what a&m sent out a while ago?

Does anyone know if we will be receiving an update regarding what pre-requisites are yet to be completed, similar to what a&m sent out a while ago?

I have never heard of such a thing coming from UT. Pretty sure you won't be getting something like that. I mean, you could always just hand-check to make sure you have all the classes.

how are yall preparing for MMI? ive never heard of it before

MMI will be new this year at UT Austin, but I did it at Regis University.

You can expect several students, faculty, staff to read or hand you a card with a scripted ethics or pharmacy practice question.
You can probably have a moment or two to think out your answer (at Regis they would introduce themselves, hand over the question card and leave for 1-2 minutes).
Then they would return into the room and you would have a chance to answer (~5 minutes at Regis).
At that point start out strong, depending on the interviewer they may interrupt with an add-on or guiding question, so I liked to get my main point out right at first.

Other tips
Be thoughtful and share insights from experience, beliefs, previous education--refer to specifics and validate them as useful examples.
Most likely they will be in terms of scenario questions, "you're the leader of a community group & so & so problem arises; what do you do?" etc.
Always think of the patients' care and rights first.
Always be open minded, and professional.
The difficulty of the questions is medium, and they are definitely looking for personality & communication skills. Not so much knowledge based.
I used a small notebook to outline my main points, people noticed that & commented that I knew what tool I needed that I used it well.

Reactions: 1 users

You can expect several students, faculty, staff to read or hand you a card with a scripted ethics or pharmacy practice question.
You can probably have a moment or two to think out your answer (at Regis they would introduce themselves, hand over the question card and leave for 1-2 minutes).
Then they would return into the room and you would have a chance to answer (~5 minutes at Regis).
At that point start out strong, depending on the interviewer they may interrupt with an add-on or guiding question, so I liked to get my main point out right at first.

Other tips
Be thoughtful and share insights from experience, beliefs, previous education--refer to specifics and validate them as useful examples.
Most likely they will be in terms of scenario questions, "you're the leader of a community group & so & so problem arises; what do you do?" etc.
The difficulty of the questions is medium, and they are definitely looking for personality & communication skills. Not so much knowledge based.
I used a small notebook to outline my main points, people noticed that & commented that I knew what tool I needed that I used it well.

Other tips

They allowed you to brainstorm on pen and paper? I'm wondering if UT will let us.

Yes I would bet on them being very relaxed and you can bring a pen & notepad throughout the entire days activities.

Out of 4 interviews I had last year, none had strict rules (except silencing phones).

If you think it will help you to list talking points (say #1-4) before speaking, please do so. That way you can try to connect with the interviewer via body language, eye contact & don't blank out on your thought process.

Any more questions let me know.
I used the same notebook last year and can probably give you the questions/scenarios from that interview process if anyone would like.

Here's a sample of stuff I remember from last year.
MMI questions I got from Regis.

Outline for each individual interview
2min --- introduction and hand over the question card, plan your answer
5min --- return question card, answer question
2min --- follow up, small talk, goodbye

These are generalized from my notes and memory.

Scenario 1. You are the president of a community group, after 3 months of leading this group, the members seem unhappy and distracted. You have problem getting members to volunteer time for an important fundraiser and you feel that you need to do something to improve the situation.

What do you do?

My short notes/outline for the question.
1. Review mission of fundraiser
2. Use a democratic process to get new ideas
3. Restructure organization + use team events to build solidarity
4. Remind members of the group you are trying to help
5. Distribute leadership & responsibilities to get greater "buy-in"

Scenario 2. You are on a professional ethics review committee. The case before you is about doctors and nurses in a nursing home during Hurricane Katrina.
The review covers whether these healthcare professionals violated ethics when they refused to vacate the facility when ordered to do so by state emergency services. Those patients who could be evacuated were evacuated, as ordered by the emergency services. But a small crew of doctors and nurses stayed behind to care for the terminally ill.

A number of terminally ill patients died and the staff suffered minor injuries as a result.

What statement do you make before the committee makes a decision?

My short notes/outline for the question
1. Stress that the ethics revolves around caring for the terminally ill, not on following an order from state govt
2. Commend the healthcare professionals for putting personal safety aside to care for their patients, remind everyone that a lot of people were hailed as heroes for going beyond the line of duty during "Katrina"
3. Focus on the evacuation and what the ordeal involved for all people affected. Begs the question if the terminally ill could survive that experience.
4. Cast my support for the staff that stayed behind in order to fulfill their commitment to preserving life.

Scenario 3. You are a Pharmacy Student and involved in team-based learning project. Half-team does most of the work and the other half is absent or aloof. Your group receives the highest grade possible.

How do you respond during member-based feedback (members evaluate each other)?
My short notes/outline for the question
1. Stress that we all are conscientious of the hard work done by only half the group
2. Everyone is qualified to do this work, so it is not professional to opt-out and still take the grade
3. We should be able to focus on the project and not on the "attitude/personality" problems of some members.

Those are the few I could reconstruct fully.

I used bullet point notes for reference and focused myself on the personal delivery (stressing eye-contact, confidence, tone, inflection, etc).
Though I looked at my notes, I "watched" the interviewer as much as I expected to be "watched" i.e., I was looking for their physical responses to each of my points.

I've been in a lot of interviews. Sometimes it is very useful to answer a scenario question based on how you would be perceived during routine evaluation by a supervisor--this is what I default to if I run into a situation where I don't really know the right answer.
In these cases I break it into perceivable behavior (visible component) and inner rationale (invisible component).

So going into MMIs, my goal was that every answer be equal parts:
Visible component: compassionate-empathy (display empathy outwardly so that it gets cooperation, patience, understanding from the patient),
Invisible component: ethics and understanding of the issue.

These are mini-presentations, it would be helpful to train for the appropriate time-frame.

Did you hear anything about the wait list yet? I emailed ann spencer and she said that only about 2-3 students decline interviews each year :(

I got an interview for the 31st at 8am

Has UT sent out acceptance letters yet? I haven't heard anything. Did they already make decisions for the 1/29 & 1/30 interviews?

The admissions committee just met like two days ago, so it'll still be a little while.

cool. Thanks. Just getting antsy I guess.

I called the cop last week and they told me it doesn't really matter when your interview date was. They will contact us based on your overall score of your application and interview.

The one thing I'm wondering about is the methodology behind the quantification of our professional development scores. Does anybody have any insight into how they go about that?

I have no idea how they would quantify something like that. All I know is that it sure would be nice to hear something soon!