UT Austin, Texas Tech, or U of Houston?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by dreamangel17s, Apr 17, 2007.

1. dreamangel17s

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi everyone! I was just wondering if any of you are students at these universities. I'm starting pharmacy school in Fall 07. So far, I've been accepted in UH. I wanted to know if anyone knows how good the other two universities are...
    I know UT Austin is ranked pretty high in the country. I visited Texas Tech, and the students seemed very happy and the faculty was very kind and helpful. I'm hoping to hear from UT Austin soon as well.

What are your opinions on these universities?:thumbup::thumbdown:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pharmacistUH

pharmacistUH Eat 'Em Up Coogs!
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I love the University of Houston. It doesn't get the ranking, respect, or recognition that it deserves simply because the undergraduate schools let anyone in. It has some of the best graduate programs in the country, but because our football team isn't in the Big 12, we don't get all the national attention like UT or Tech. From what I have heard about ut and tech, they are both great schools and I have heard positive comments about both. If you have any specific questions about UH however, pm me and I'll help you as best I can.

4. PharmEm

PharmEm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I went to UT for undergrad, will be going to UH for pharm school, and have friends at TT-SOP and UH-COP now, as well as a friend who graduated from UT-COP a couple years back.

All schools have their pros and cons but overall, all 3 are great schools. One of my friends told me this, there are so few pharmacy schools to graduate from, unlike medical and dental, that simply graduating from a pharmacy school such as UT,TT,UH is a great accomplishment.
    From the pharmacists I work with, they all say great things about each school and all 3 are well respected.

Good Luck with your decision.

UT-COP
    Pro:Location, Austin is AWESOME, #2 ranking (and NO, it's not all about state funding)
    Con:nothing really, and I'm not being biased either. If anything, it's a really big school so stay disciplined and on top of things.

UH-COP
    Pro:Relation with Med Center
    Con:I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that the faculty and staff sort of have an "I don't care" attitude towards the students, someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this b/c this.

TT-SOP
    Pro:Very advanced technology wise, relocation OUT of Amarillo/Abilene your last 2? years
    Con:Location, Location, Location (Amarillo and Abilene, enough said)

5. pharmacistUH

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hmmm, I have actually seen the opposite when it comes to faculty and pharmacy students at UH. From what I have seen, it is like one big family and everyone is willing to help you with anything. From what I have heard from pharm students currently in the school, you can call any faculty member at any time of the day/night for any reason if you need help or just have to talk to someone. Some faculty might have that attitude, but the majority, from what I have seen and heard, are really enthusiastic about you being in pharmacy school.

On a side note, the relationship with the Med Center is the main reason why UH is my primary school because every week they find someone from the med center who is a legend in their profession and have them talk to the pharm students about something. Really cool and I can't wait to be a part of it.

6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    UTex has Austin...the coolest town West of the Mississippi....

7. Jbuprepharm

Jbuprepharm The Poopsmith
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    To address the relocation thing (as it doesn't always make sense), You have to come to Amarillo or Abilene for your first 2 years. Then, if you go to amarillo, you can request (with about a 90% success rate) to go to Lubbock or Dallas, or stay in Amarillo for your 3rd and 4th year. I'll be in Amarillo the whole time, not because I like Amarillo, but for the ease of not moving and having the home facilities here. As for Abilene, and I'm not positive about this, but I think you're there the whole time, ie, no relocation, 4 years there (never been so I dunno how it is).

But I have to agree that the location is the biggest downside, it's not THAT bad, but... it's quite a different place if you're not from West Texas (like me, a CA native who also lived in Austin and the RGV).

As for the pros, I agree with the technology, we are very advanced in that department, which is nice because I never have to lug any books around.
    I would add: most of the faculty is very friendly and helpful (most, not all :mad: ), you get more rotation hours than the other two (is what they tell us, you begin rotations your 3rd year along with classes, and just rotations your 4th year), and................. ok that's it, Amarillo does kinda suck, but hey, you're closer to skiiing!

Anyway, good luck with your decision, and congrats on being accepted so far, there's not a bad choice among the 3

8. Jbuprepharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I second that, however, what I've been told by some UT grads is that, while Austin is great during school, it's not a great place to stay after school because the demand is relatively low, meaning the pay isn't as good as other places in the state.

I don't know if that's true, because it seems like living in Austin would cost more than most places, but that's what I've been told. Hopefully it's not true because I'd like to move back some day

9. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist 15+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Any town with a pharmacy school can get away with paying crap to their pharmacists. Nobody that graduates from WVU wants to leave Mo'Town because it's so freakin' awesome. Thus the hospital pay is $34/hour and some poor schmuck will take it because they just don't want to leave or are waiting for a sig other to graduate (me in a few months).

But 6th Street in the Spring is the ****.....just like High Street in Mo'Town....

10. pharmacistUH

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I didn't know that. How many hours do you go on rotations during your 3rd year, and how many hours do you take in classes? That kinda seems like it's a little too much.

Houston doesn't have this problem. With the TMC, and the rapid increases in population in suburban areas, it's hard NOT to find a job here.

11. Jbuprepharm

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Well, I'm not exactly sure, but I looked at the course catalog, and it looks like there are two rotations in the fall and 1 in the spring, but then there are two during the summer between p3 and p4 year.

It's tough, but if you can make it through the first two years you can make it through the third year.

12. Pharmguy07

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm not sure about hospital positions, but the retail market has gotten a lot tighter in recent years. This year if you wanted to stay in Houston you could certainly get a job, but almost all of them are floating positions, and some of the districts aren't hiring at all (some big retail chains aren't hiring at all either).