UT-Houston Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karirunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's in? (And ridiculously excited? :D )

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in, im lookin forward to seeing ALL OF YOU!!!!

Why is our thread not as popular as the other threads? UT-H is my #1 choice, who could resist the Texas Medical Center. Did you all want UT-H #1 also?

UT-Houston was my 1st Choice too!

Just out of curiousity did any of you Houston matchers interview there in December? I was there on the 16th. I'm wondering how many of the Sexy Sixteeners made it.

Congratulations people!!! I'm sure you're all excited and I know that all of you will love going to school here! Feel free to post questions for my classmates and I (they're all cool) and be sure to celebrate tonight........and tomorrow morning :thumbup:

Oh yeah, i was there on the 16th. Suweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Wow..gotta be up early but couldn't help celebrating with a few of my roomates beers ^^ GOOOOODNIGHT.

Does anybody know if UTH has an MS0 weekend like SW? Or when/how we can expect to hear from Dr. Gunn? Advice from MS1 or 2's would be much appreciated!

CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to UTH! I know its early but mark your calenders for retreat on August 11th. The current MS I's are already busy planning a warm welcome for you guys. Its gonna be fabulous! Like my intelligent (and beautiful) classmate Thanatos said feel free to ask us all sorts of questions. And if you guys are wondering why I'm still up at 3:30am its because I just got back from celebrating with a fellow matchee. Once again congratulations!

drchekhov said:
Does anybody know if UTH has an MS0 weekend like SW? Or when/how we can expect to hear from Dr. Gunn? Advice from MS1 or 2's would be much appreciated!

There is a welcome weekend but I'm not sure of the date as of yet. We also have a crazy retreat planned for you guys from August 11th - 12th.

You will receive a packet via snail mail with all sorts of information. But most important is to send back your letter and sign the statement saying you accept the position in the class of 2010. Don't just toss it to the side as the deadline for that letter is fairly soon (I believe it was about 2 weeks after receiving the letter).

Me and at least one more of my fellow classmates here at Tech are coming to UTH!!!! Couldn't be more excited!!!!!!!! Congrats everyone!!!!!!!!!! YAY!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ya'll! I matched at Houston too! I'm beyond excited and I can't wait to meet all of you! My roommate and I (actually, both of us matched to UT Houston) are living in New York right now, so let us know if you are in town and we'll definately meet up!

I wonder when orientation will be. Last year it was 10 Aug.

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts. I've been following the threads for a while and thought maybe I'd jump in now. Last night I matched with UT-Houston Medical School and went crazy. I'm looking forward to meeting all of y'all and the rest of the class. I cant believe I have the opportunity to go to class and do rotations in the TMC!

For all Houston SDNers that want to partay

Just an update on the situation....i just called up Katz's. They dont have any formal reservations perse, but they have my name down and told me to call about 30 min beforehand when we show up. Also, the don't split checks (which means if you are coming, BRING CASH!!!) and there is an additional 12-15% gratuity added to parties greater than 6.

As a backup, Buca has the Pope's table reserved at 7:30...which means if we do go here (which seems more and more unlikely), we will have to wait around for a big table to open up (which could possible take an hour or longer....especially on a friday night).

So yea, see below....PM me for my number and name (you know, so we can meet up later and not have no idea what is going on when we show up at Katz's) :D :D :D

Place: Katz's.....backup is Buca
Date:Friday 2/3/06
Time:7:30
Current Guest List
BaylorGuy
ClearDay
newdude
potato51
yourmom
DesiMcat
wigeon
sj786
karirunner
Miss155
fireorose

Received my official, certified mail, signature-required on delivery admissions packet an hour ago! Not too much in it, but still very exciting! I'm in Austin, btw.

And now for something completely different: could any current students answer a few questions about computing with UTH? I checked out the computer purchase guidelines for last year's class, and was very bummed to see that they were required to purchase Wintel machines. I'm a born and raised Mac user (please. don't. flame....I still respect and use Wintel machines), and have been anticipating getting a shiny new Mac laptop for med school.

The newest Macs, as you may know, are switching over to Intel chips. From what I've read on Slashdot, in theory one should be able to partition a new Intel Mac hard drive and run both OS X and Windows. The problem is that this may not be possible until the Vista ships in December due to some booting idiosyncrasies.

So, I ask current students: for what and how much do you use your home computers at UTH? Do you really need the Pentium IV power and the relatively high-end specs? Methinks that I may rent a cheapie Wintel machine until December if necessary and then buy a new MacBook Pro. Or I may just buy the MacBook and enlist my brother's help in assembly a cheap Wintel desktop. Lastly, if little remote-computing is required, perhaps I could just buy the MacBook and use on-campus computers for the few necessary tasks.

Any computing experiences from current students would be appreciated.

drchekhov said:
Received my official, certified mail, signature-required on delivery admissions packet an hour ago! Not too much in it, but still very exciting! I'm in Austin, btw.
Very cool. Does it have any dates (orientation, white coat ceremony, etc.) listed?

drchekhov said:
And now for something completely different: could any current students answer a few questions about computing with UTH? I checked out the computer purchase guidelines for last year's class, and was very bummed to see that they were required to purchase Wintel machines. I'm a born and raised Mac user (please. don't. flame....I still respect and use Wintel machines), and have been anticipating getting a shiny new Mac laptop for med school.
I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to have to buy a PC if I don't have to and was planning on investing in a MacBook. I'm going to email a MS3 I know down there and see if he knows if you really need a PC or if a Mac would work just fine.

tismfu said:
Very cool. Does it have any dates (orientation, white coat ceremony, etc.) listed?
Okay, I got the letter today too.

All it says (in case anyone's interested and hasn't received it yet) is "August 2006", so I guess it's still TBD.

For the White Coat Ceremony form, how are people interpreting "you do not need to return" if your name is really obvious? On the one hand, it asks us to print our official name as of 8/9/06, on the other, it says "you do not need to return" if the pronunciation of your name is easy. I have an easy name. Hmm... if this is my biggest conundrum right now I guess I'm doing alright.

Thanks.

drchekhov said:

The newest Macs, as you may know, are switching over to Intel chips. From what I've read on Slashdot, in theory one should be able to partition a new Intel Mac hard drive and run both OS X and Windows. The problem is that this may not be possible until the Vista ships in December due to some booting idiosyncrasies.

So, I ask current students: for what and how much do you use your home computers at UTH? Do you really need the Pentium IV power and the relatively high-end specs? Methinks that I may rent a cheapie Wintel machine until December if necessary and then buy a new MacBook Pro. Or I may just buy the MacBook and enlist my brother's help in assembly a cheap Wintel desktop. Lastly, if little remote-computing is required, perhaps I could just buy the MacBook and use on-campus computers for the few necessary tasks.

Windows does suck a$$, unfortunately they have a strangle hold on the industry so that 99 percent of all schools and businesses are only configured for that platform. Macs are not compatible with the schools wireless system nor are they able to play the lecture videos.

Because the school requires you to have computers occasionally we'll have in class assignment type things where you have to have your computer on hand, especially in neuro lab which is practically all computer based.

As I understand it you have to be compatible, and I don't know how successful dual booting is.....definately worth looking into though.

drchekhov said:

Hey there. I'm a mac user myself but I still bought a PC for school because I didn't know what they were going to throw at us. The class of 2009 was the first one to be REQUIRED to own a PC notebook. The first semester we didn't use our computers that much but like thanatos said, our 2nd semester neuro lab is almost completely run on PC only program. Obviously I can't say much about 2nd year since I'm still an MSI. I can only guess they will continue to try to utilize more tech in the curriculum.

Also, you'll probably want to watch streaming video of our lectures at home/starbucks etc, and they use windows media player to stream. Now I don't know about you but streaming with windows media player never really works right on my powerbook. There is always a long delay and the picture freezes up often, it would be just frustrating, especially right before an exam and you need to double check something in your syllabus with what a prof said.

I would advise going ahead and getting the PC notebook as much as it hurts. I love OS X as much as the next guy, but the grown up world still uses PCs unfortunately.

UT_mikie said:
I would advise going ahead and getting the PC notebook as much as it hurts. I love OS X as much as the next guy, but the grown up world still uses PCs unfortunately.
Thanks for that information.

Here's to hoping for a dual-booting MacBook Pro ASAP.

congrats all you MS 0's! You guys will have a blast here. I'm a first year student here too and graduated from UT Austin so if you have any questions about anything at all, holler.

hey yall-

How come our thread isn't too exciting??

Maybe we should all introduce ourselves...

I'm Elizabeth, 23, and attending grad school in new york city.

Does anyone know if there are research opportunities for us besides the summer after our first year (if you have an M.S. you don't qualify for that program) ??

Anyways, I'm happy to be moving back to Texas. Houston should be a good time... :)

hey yall-

How come our thread isn't too exciting??

Maybe we should all introduce ourselves...

I'm Elizabeth, 23, and attending grad school in new york city.

Does anyone know if there are research opportunities for us besides the summer after our first year (if you have an M.S. you don't qualify for that program) ??

Anyways, I'm happy to be moving back to Texas. Houston should be a good time... :)

did any of you current MS not match initally and got accepted from the waitlist? if so, approx. how long did you have to wait.

Any current UT-Houston students have opinions/suggestions about University Housing or apartments in general?

How come all the other texas med schools have threads with 4 pages now and ours is only 2? Lets get this party started... Elizabeth, I'll introduce myself... Im Brian 22 years old and am still an undergrad at a small school in Mississippi. Im from San Antonio and am looking forward to getting back into Texas. Houston is going to be amazing. I cant wait.

I'm from Houston and can give you suggestions on apartments. The ones run by UTH Auxilary Enterprises are pretty nice and on the school's shuttle route and the 87 bus route (both go to the med center). Harvest Hill and Scotland Yard are two complexes I've had friends live in, and they liked them-cheap and on the 87 bus route. If you are willing to pay a little more ($650-$800/mo for a one bedroom plus den) Parque del Oro and El Mundo Park are really, really nice and the management company is great. Those two complexes have a shuttle that runs to the med center every hour.

BTW,
I am Kari from North Dakota, then Kansas, and now Houston :)

I'm Daniel, soon to be 23, raised in Fort Worth, but attending school in Austin. Until my entry into the world, my birthday was scarred by tragedy: it's the day that Lincoln was shot, the day the Titanic hit the iceberg, and the day before The Big Bad IRS annually devours your money. But I think my appearance into the world has balanced out such bad karma. ;)

My favorite hobbies are racquetball and reading, especially Russian literature (Tolstoy, Chekhov, and Bulgakov).

Could any current students weigh in on the automobile issue? As an MS1 and MS2, I know you can't get a permit. Does that mean you rarely use your car at all?

Please weigh in with your advice for me: I currently have an decade-old Saturn sedan with NO AIR CONDITIONING! This hasn't been a problem in Austin as my SO lets me use her car for most purposes...but she's heading to grad school in another city next year. Furthermore, I think my car's approaching the cantankerous age when its going to start flaring up with geriatric problems.

Do you think I should invest the money to get the AC fixed, or sell the car and put it towards payments on a cheap new car or reliable (Civic, etc.) used one? Additionally, a woman gave em a minor fender-bender a few weeks ago, so I have some free money ($650) from this settlement. Between this, the trade-in value, and some cash my parents could provide, I could probably have $3-4K for a downpayment.

Thanks!

karirunner said:
I'm from Houston and can give you suggestions on apartments. The ones run by UTH Auxilary Enterprises are pretty nice and on the school's shuttle route and the 87 bus route (both go to the med center). Harvest Hill and Scotland Yard are two complexes I've had friends live in, and they liked them-cheap and on the 87 bus route. If you are willing to pay a little more ($650-$800/mo for a one bedroom plus den) Parque del Oro and El Mundo Park are really, really nice and the management company is great. Those two complexes have a shuttle that runs to the med center every hour.
Thanks for that information.

Some questions:

1) How difficult is it to get an apartment run by UTH? Are they in high demand? The pricing seems very competitive. Are the rates appropriate for what you get or is UT subsidizing rents to some extent making the apartments are a good value?

2) What about noise? At the UTH apartments and Parque del Oro? Suitable for studying?

Thanks again for your help.

Tismfu,
To get into the University housing you have to fill out some forms and get put on the waiting list in case the apartment or complex you want isn't available. Don't know how competitive it is to get an apartment there- you might want to get on the waitlist ASAP. The El Paseo ones were just built and are literally right next to the UT-H Rec Center. The rents are very competitive for the area; no idea if it is subsidized. (I know some of the units don't have washer/dryer which may cut the cost a lil'.) Only students/employees of MD Anderson, Baylor, and UT-H can live there so the TMC might be picking up some of the check.

Parque del Oro and UT-H apartments are both relatively quiet. I know some people with kids who live in the UTH complex and feel it is kid and study friendly. I live in Parque del Oro, and it is usually very quiet- the exception may be when UTH students have the end of block exams and have parties that spill onto their balconies :) Even then, it isn't the level of noise at a college house party.

Thank you for the reply.

One last set of questions:

Being on the shuttle bus line has obvious advantages... but what about the Metro light rail line? Is that more/less convenient than the bus? I've heard about safety concerns, but that's not too big a deal for me. What is the feeling you get from students in terms of benefits/worth of being right on the Metro?

Thanks again.

tismfu said:
Thank you for the reply.

One last set of questions:

Being on the shuttle bus line has obvious advantages... but what about the Metro light rail line? Is that more/less convenient than the bus? I've heard about safety concerns, but that's not too big a deal for me. What is the feeling you get from students in terms of benefits/worth of being right on the Metro?

Thanks again.

Hi tismfu,

MS I here. Basically there are only a couple of ways people get to school. One: live at an apt that has its own shuttle service (this usually costs $30-40 /month on top of rent). Two: live at an apt/house near the rail and walk to rail (you can buy a yearly pass for unlimited use - costs $52 I think). There are also some people that get rides from spouses or ride motorcycles (easier/cheaper parking I guess), but most people use the former options. I am lucky because I live near a bus stop for a free Metro shuttle - but occasionally I too take the light rail.

In general, the rail is a reliable mode of transporation ( except when some ***** gets his car stuck on the tracks). It usually moves faster than the cars, esp in morning/evening traffic and runs fairly regularly and over a wide range of hours. A lot of people at UTH take the rail. In regards to safety, no - I wouldn't ride the rail by myself at night. But maybe that is because I am a paranoid female who lives in constant fear. During the day, it is safe. And if you ever need to go to school at night (which you don't unless you want to gunner it up at the LRC), you could drive to school and park in the garage across the street (which is also creepy at night, but this is why you carry mace pepper spray with you).

I hope I answered your question. In summmary: rail= good. Parking garage= scary.

PM me if you have any more questions.

P.S. I know nothing about student housing, so sorry- I can't answer questions about that.

Anybody know when we find out about scholarships/ financial aid?

karirunner said:
Anybody know when we find out about scholarships/ financial aid?
not a UTH'er, but usually people find out in early May.

Last year's thread was already around ten pages. We can't be such slackers!

Did everybody return their acceptance forms? I lost track of time and had to Fedex mine yesterday....but at least I can be sure my carrier won't lost it in transit. :D

After reading up on last year's thread, we should be getting a second, HUGE packet by the end of the month. I can't wait.

Is anyone else here on myspace? My username is elizabethrcg.

Also, do we have some sort of a second look weekend thing? If so I need to book a plane ticket...

First, welcome everyone to UTH!!! Congrats!!!

karirunner said:
BTW,
I am Kari from North Dakota,
ohhh, my dad's family grew up in Bismarck!

as for someone asking about the metrorail, I know people who live at the greenbriar tend to be woken at all hours of the night by its horn. don't get an apartment right on the side of the rail wherever you pick.

there are also free shuttles run by metro (red, white, and blue) that are also another option of getting in to the TMC. I live in apartments right by the blue so that was convienent 1st and 2nd yr.

as for the person asking about the car...you won't need it to get to school, but don't forget about necessities like groceries, dry cleaning, going places, fast food, etc. you're not gonna want to be hassled dealing with this when trying to deal with the pressure of your 1st block exams, med school will be more stressful the first yr than you can anticipate. 2nd yr you may have a preceptor farther away that you need a car to get there. 3rd yr you need one for sure.

and to the question about research....I think that is correct that you can't participate in the summer program if you have a masters. however, to get involved in research all you have to do is go find a lab to work in by putting yourself out there. I ended up working for a couple extra months in a lab I did the summer program in to extend my research.

Ive got myspace, my username is hambone3232. I sent in the acceptance letter, called on monday and they said they recieved it! I've been filling out the FAFSA and financial aid stuff, do they just allocate each student the same amount, or do we get to choose how much we want to borrow?

I have myspace too.... jodyleeann is my screen name. look me up!

Hey Seabass,
I'm from Bismarck too :) Small world....

Figured I would create an account to help give our class thread some life.

I am originally from Houston, and I went to A&M. Right now I am working for Habitat for Humanity. O yeah, my real name is Stephen.

bungo said:
Figured I would create an account to help give our class thread some life.

I am originally from Houston, and I went to A&M. Right now I am working for Habitat for Humanity. O yeah, my real name is Stephen.

Hey ya'll,
Sorry I've been such a slacker. I'm Kat. I'm originally from Dallas and went to the U. of Maryland for undergrad. I'm currently living in New York and getting my masters. I so so so excited to go to Houston next year and I can't wait to meet everyone!

Can any current students speak about what holidays you get off from class? Are you in or are you out (thank you Heidi Klum!) on Monday?

I'm at UT Austin and we have class on President's Day.

We're off on Monday.....we also got MLK jr day and labor day. Spring break is in two weeks!!! Unfortunately you only get 2 days for thanksgiving and just barely over 2 weeks for christmas.....you do get the entire summer between first and second year.

It's not much, but I'll take what they give me :)