UT-Houston Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you talk about running windows, do you mean loading windows on the mac or do you run windows through the mac OS? Does my question make sense?

Loading windows on the mac. I'd probably put it on a separate partition of my hard drive. Plus bootcamp is standard on Leopard.

Because if you're running windows, why bother spending the money on a mac?

I won't be running Windows unless I absolutely need to for a program for school, otherwise I'll be running OSX. It's totally user preference. I abhor Windows and love OSX, that's really all there is to it! I've had my share of both and have had exponentially fewer problems with a Mac (not having to reformat, worry about viruses, etc). To me, it's totally worth the extra money.

and thanks, Dancer, for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

Loading windows on the mac. I'd probably put it on a separate partition of my hard drive. Plus bootcamp is standard on Leopard.

I won't be running Windows unless I absolutely need to for a program for school, otherwise I'll be running OSX. It's totally user preference. I abhor Windows and love OSX, that's really all there is to it! I've had my share of both and have had exponentially fewer problems with a Mac (not having to reformat, worry about viruses, etc). To me, it's totally worth the extra money.

and thanks, Dancer, for the info!

I hear you about this. I'm more comfortable with windows but I hate how unstable it is. I was wanting to get a mac for my next computer, but I don't know if I want to have jump through all the hoops in order to use it for school.

I'm also mad that by the time I get a lap top, XP will no longer available, which for the most part is a pretty good OS. Computers get faster and faster, but newer versions of windows get greedier for system resourses, so there is no net gain in performance.

I hear you about this. I'm more comfortable with windows but I hate how unstable it is. I was wanting to get a mac for my next computer, but I don't know if I want to have jump through all the hoops in order to use it for school.

I'm also mad that by the time I get a lap top, XP will no longer available, which for the most part is a pretty good OS. Computers get faster and faster, but newer versions of windows get greedier for system resourses, so there is no net gain in performance.

From what I've heard, we will rarely be using our laptops for school stuff anyhow so I don't think it will be a big issue. The only "hoops" really are: justifying the cost of a Mac and finding a copy of XP to load. And I agree with your thoughts on XP. I haven't even touched Vista, but from the things I've heard it certainly doesn't sound stable enough just yet. I'll definitely be loading XP (why bother with greedy Vista) on my Mac. Oh, and just from my experience...I loaded Leopard onto my Powerbook right after it was released and have been very pleased. In fact, I think it runs faster under the new OS. Which, I'm guessing, very few people could say about Vista and their PCs... ;)

EDIT: So apparently Windows will stop selling XP on June 30th...good to know...

Members don't see this ad :)
what's leopard? Maybe I'll get ambitious and try to look into it all this summer. Most likely, I'll succumb to microsoft's will and buy a PC laptop with windows vista which won't work quite right until atleast service pack 3 :(

what's leopard? Maybe I'll get ambitious and try to look into it all this summer. Most likely, I'll succumb to microsoft's will and buy a PC laptop with windows vista which won't work quite right until atleast service pack 3 :(

XP : Tiger :: Vista : Leopard (in terms of sequence only...Leopard is fast and stable, unlike Vista! :p)

Why Mac names its OS's after cats...one can only speculate. ;) Leopard (aka Mac OS X v.10.5) was released last October.

So far, the only reason we've absolutely needed to use is our laptop is for neuro lab. We had to install a program for lab, which unfortunately only runs in Windows. Lameness. I also have a Mac and use Leopard all the time whenever I bring my laptop to school, well, except for lab. I don't mind that the IT dept won't help me out if I have problems because that's what the Apple store in the Galleria is for. :D The IT dept will help you configure your wireless settings on your Mac so you can connect to the internet.

I had a couple questions since we are all talking about laptops:

Does UTH offer any educational discounts on new laptops for students? Do most students use laptops to take notes in class or just for studying, web, etc.?

Does UTH offer any educational discounts on new laptops for students? Do most students use laptops to take notes in class or just for studying, web, etc.?

At San Antonio and TCOM, they talked a lot about how computers are integrated into lecture. At the UTH interview, I don't recall much being said about them.

Taking notes on a computer doesn't seem very productive to me.

Yes, any major university is going to have an edu discount thru all the major computer brands.

And for note-taking, it depends on the class for me. If there's going to be drawing involved, then skip the computer but otherwise I loved taking notes on my computer in college. It was faster and I took better, more organized notes. Plus with the notebook layout view in Word I could record the lecture as I was taking notes and it would sync the audio to the notes I took. Very helpful!

Yes, any major university is going to have an edu discount thru all the major computer brands.

And for note-taking, it depends on the class for me. If there's going to be drawing involved, then skip the computer but otherwise I loved taking notes on my computer in college. It was faster and I took better, more organized notes. Plus with the notebook layout view in Word I could record the lecture as I was taking notes and it would sync the audio to the notes I took. Very helpful!

impressive..i didn't knwo Word could do that.

Hardly anyone goes to lecture so it's really hard to figure out if and how people are taking notes with their laptops. When I watch lectures online, I hardly ever take notes. The syllabi are dense enough. The most I do is underline something that the lecturer seems to be stressing or says is important. A good number of people use their laptops to watch lectures and type up study guides, outlines, etc. Laptops aren't really integrated into lectures and like I said, few people go to lecture anyway.

The LRC has a good number of computers available so a lot of people don't even bother bringing their laptops to school. I bring mine sometimes just in case a computer isn't available.

Some people have tablets and use those to view their syllabi and to take notes, but that's not my cup of tea. I guess it depends on what works best for you, which is the name of the game in med school. :)

Hardly anyone goes to lecture so it's really hard to figure out if and how people are taking notes with their laptops. When I watch lectures online, I hardly ever take notes. The syllabi are dense enough. The most I do is underline something that the lecturer seems to be stressing or says is important. A good number of people use their laptops to watch lectures and type up study guides, outlines, etc. Laptops aren't really integrated into lectures and like I said, few people go to lecture anyway.

The LRC has a good number of computers available so a lot of people don't even bother bringing their laptops to school. I bring mine sometimes just in case a computer isn't available.

Some people have tablets and use those to view their syllabi and to take notes, but that's not my cup of tea. I guess it depends on what works best for you, which is the name of the game in med school. :)

Why would you skip lecture just to watch them online?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Convenience
2) Laziness (why get to school at 8am if you don't have to??)
3) You can speed up or slow down the lecture speed
4) You can also pause, fast forward, or rewind the lecture

Don't you hate sitting in a lecture when the professor is going too fast and all you want to do is yell "Slow down!!!!!!!"? Watching the lectures online fixes that problem. Sometimes, especially in biochemistry, I had to pause the lectures and give myself a minute to think and process what the lecturer just said.

There are other times when the professor is talking sooooo sloooooow. That's no problem with streaming the lectures online. :) You can watch them up to 2x speed. That means it would only take you 30 minutes to watch a lecture that originally was an hour long. It really helps you to be efficient with your time, which is another name of the game in med school. :)

I would venture a guess that maybe no more than 40 people go to lecture regularly. Actually, I would say 30 at the most. Everyone starts the year off by going to lecture all the time and then the numbers dwindle down. But again, it all depends on how you learn. Some of my friends admit that they don't have the discipline to watch the lectures online so they attend lectures because then it forces them to go through the material and syllabi.

1) Convenience
2) Laziness (why get to school at 8am if you don't have to??)
3) You can speed up or slow down the lecture speed
4) You can also pause, fast forward, or rewind the lecture

Don't you hate sitting in a lecture when the professor is going too fast and all you want to do is yell "Slow down!!!!!!!"? Watching the lectures online fixes that problem. Sometimes, especially in biochemistry, I had to pause the lectures and give myself a minute to think and process what the lecturer just said.

There are other times when the professor is talking sooooo sloooooow. That's no problem with streaming the lectures online. :) You can watch them up to 2x speed. That means it would only take you 30 minutes to watch a lecture that originally was an hour long. It really helps you to be efficient with your time, which is another name of the game in med school. :)

I would venture a guess that maybe no more than 40 people go to lecture regularly. Actually, I would say 30 at the most. Everyone starts the year off by going to lecture all the time and then the numbers dwindle down. But again, it all depends on how you learn. Some of my friends admit that they don't have the discipline to watch the lectures online so they attend lectures because then it forces them to go through the material and syllabi.

As a lecture goer :) I'd say there are usually more than 30 people, but it depends on the class and lecturer. It is strange because 1st semester I went to class almost never, and hardly ever streamed. There really wasn't much to take notes on anyway. This semester I go more. for physiology there are mostly pictures and no words so you either have to read the book or listen/go to class.

I bring my laptop a lot, but that is usually so I can look things up when the lecture is going on. Some classes have pdf files that you can type into with regular adobe, and sometimes the powerpoint is up before lecture and it is a good place to take notes. There are some people with tablet pcs that seem to really like them. they can write on them, and they can have just their pc while having all their syllabi, as opposed to me who ends up with a 50 pound backpack if I want to bring all my syllabi.

it really just depends on you though. I like having something physically in my hand to write on and hold the pages, so I have paper syllabi. But then again some people really love their tablets.

Because you can watch the lecture and read that section in the syllabus twice in the amount of time it takes to attend one lecture. You don't learn in medical school by sitting in a class, you learn it by looking at the material. Dr. Oakes said that it takes an average of 20 times to see something before you truly know it.

UTH only accepts 230 applicants right? How many apply to UTH then

230 is a pretty big class size. 3000 + usually apply I think.

I think I remember hearing we have the highest number of people that apply so I'd say at least 3000 if not more. i guess we're just that cool :)

And I'd just like to say, I'm glad my 1000th post was in OUR UTH thread! YAY!

I think I remember hearing we have the highest number of people that apply so I'd say at least 3000 if not more. i guess we're just that cool :)

And I'd just like to say, I'm glad my 1000th post was in OUR UTH thread! YAY!

I believe Dr. K told me it was at least 4000 last cycle, if my memory is correct... ;) Which probably means we were over that this cycle since applications to medical school have been on the upward trend. That 4000 made me feel better when I didn't get accepted the 1st time, hehe.

Just wanted to recommend In The Loop Properties for your apartment search! They had some pretty great reviews that I could find, so I decided to check them out. I just talked with Drew today and he's already sent me a list of apartments that he feels are a good fit for me. Plus he knows which ones have good deals going on and whatnot. Really helpful and very nice! :thumbup: He'll also drive you around for free to check them out.

Just wanted to recommend In The Loop Properties for your apartment search! They had some pretty great reviews that I could find, so I decided to check them out. I just talked with Drew today and he's already sent me a list of apartments that he feels are a good fit for me. Plus he knows which ones have good deals going on and whatnot. Really helpful and very nice! :thumbup: He'll also drive you around for free to check them out.

Wow, the article they have on the dangers of buying a home really scares me. My parents and I were starting to look in that direction...maybe not anymore, haha. :oops:

Wow, the article they have on the dangers of buying a home really scares me. My parents and I were starting to look in that direction...maybe not anymore, haha. :oops:

while there are risks to buying..... I'd like to give you guys advice my dad once gave me (he's a lawyer, but the good kind. He helps old people)

Don't take advice from the other side!

Since this company's business IS leasing people, they don't want you to buy.

Does UTH accept many students from campus in Houston? For example how many University of Houston and Houston Baptist University undergrads do you have in your class?

Howdy and congratulations to all of my future classmates! I am still ecstatic over a month after match. I can't wait to meet everyone. :)

I have a one-year-old daughter, an average-sized husband, two giant labs and two cats. We all will be moving to Houston this summer.

Does anyone have suggestions about possible places for us to reside? I desperately do not want to live in the suburbs. Our labs love being indoors, but we will need at least a small yard.

We are looking to buy, not rent. I'm checking har.com and some other sites. To those of you who own condos - how are your neighborhoods?

Thank you for any help!

Also, I am glad to see that I will have some fellow Mac users - I was nervous about the lack of support for Apple products, but it really looks like we can make it work.

Hey guys, I got an acceptance to Houston and as it is my top choice I thought I'd stop in and say hi to my future class mates:)! I'm pretty excited and can't wait to start school next year! (Never thought I'd hear myself say that):laugh:

Hey guys, I got an acceptance to Houston and as it is my top choice I thought I'd stop in and say hi to my future class mates:)! I'm pretty excited and can't wait to start school next year! (Never thought I'd hear myself say that):laugh:

Congratulations. Do I remember correctly that you're a fellow Georgian?

Congrats! Welcome!

Congratulations. Do I remember correctly that you're a fellow Georgian?

Indeed I am, well sort of. I've bounced back and forth between texas and georgia for a number of years. Guess I'll be bouncing back in a few months :p

Congrats! Welcome!

Thanks! :)

Hey, anyone going to that weekend thing coming up in March? I'd sort of like to but not sure if I can get the time off work and plus I'd have to fly....

Nooooo...the Dave Matthews Band concert in The Woodlands is on 8/15, the day of retreat!!! :(

All I have to say is: Retreat better be REALLY REALLY worth it for me to miss that concert....

Nooooo...the Dave Matthews Band concert in The Woodlands is on 8/15, the day of retreat!!! :(

All I have to say is: Retreat better be REALLY REALLY worth it for me to miss that concert....

That's too bad.

Have you been to one before? If it makes you feel any better, my brother went to a DMB concert a few years ago and didn't like it because they didn't play their hits and it was more of a jam band concert like a widspread panic show.

Retreat is AMAZING! FYI :)

Also, while I'm pushing UTH stuff... I'd REALLY like to encourage you guys to come to WELCOME WEEKEND!

It really will be one of the best weekends ever!!!

The officers have worked really really hard on this, and I think you'll learn a lot about the school and what to get ready for in the fall. Besides, I know all of you are wondering just exactly what you should be doing with these last few free months :)

There will be FOOD!!! FUN!!!! BEER!!!!! (I've heard 2 kegs, of good beer, not that cheap undergrad stuff).

Plus.... Sunday you'll get to meet the Dean, and see Dr. Kellaway! And meet a panel of students!!! FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!!!

So anyway, I'd really like to encourage you guys to come. it will be a good time and it will be a good chance to meet people and get plugged in. Last year our WW wasn't the best, so we're making sure it will be freakin AWESOME this year!

If you are set to come, book a hotel now or get set up to stay with a student. The basketball tournament will be in town and rooms will be scarce!

So DO IT! SIGN UP FOR WELCOME WEEKEND NOW!!!

and have a great day! :love:

That's too bad.

Have you been to one before? If it makes you feel any better, my brother went to a DMB concert a few years ago and didn't like it because they didn't play their hits and it was more of a jam band concert like a widspread panic show.

Ha, yeah I've been to two...;) It's always a grab-bag as far as set lists go. But they have so many great songs that you're bound to get a few. My first concert was better, I thought, than the second I went to, but it really just came down to the set list. The awesome part about seeing them live is that they improv a lot...it's a good time. :) I'm a sucker for their instrumentation...ah, what all those years I spent in band will do to you... :laugh:

Ha, yeah I've been to two...;) It's always a grab-bag as far as set lists go. But they have so many great songs that you're bound to get a few. My first concert was better, I thought, than the second I went to, but it really just came down to the set list. The awesome part about seeing them live is that they improv a lot...it's a good time. :) I'm a sucker for their instrumentation...ah, what all those years I spent in band will do to you... :laugh:

I just get bored listening to Two Step for 40 minutes:)

Fortunately I think DMB goes through like 10 tours a year :p

I just get bored listening to Two Step for 40 minutes:)

But have you heard Two Step on the Central Park album? That piano part rox. :)

Fortunately I think DMB goes through like 10 tours a year :p

Well, sure they usually tour every year...but I usually end up having something else I have to go to and end up missing out. ;) I'm so afraid they'll just up and quit before I can see them again, lol!

If you are set to come, book a hotel now or get set up to stay with a student.

On the sign up form i put i wanted to stay with a med student for the weekend, but i have not heared anything yet.
Is someone going to tell me if that is going to work out or should i start looking into getting a hotel?

But have you heard Two Step on the Central Park album? That piano part rox. :)

Well, sure they usually tour every year...but I usually end up having something else I have to go to and end up missing out. ;) I'm so afraid they'll just up and quit before I can see them again, lol!

Don't worry, they'll keep touring as long as people are willing to fork over $50-$100 for a show...just look at the Stones or Jimmy Buffet:laugh:. Keith Richards has got to be approaching 70.

Don't worry, they'll keep touring as long as people are willing to fork over $50-$100 for a show...just look at the Stones or Jimmy Buffet:laugh:. Keith Richards has got to be approaching 70.

You know I heard that if you add up all the ages of the Stones band members it's like 500 years :laugh:

Has anyone received a response after sending in the welcome weekend form? I emailed my form a few days ago and today I got an email reminding me that tomorrow is the last day to sign up.

Has anyone received a response after sending in the welcome weekend form? I emailed my form a few days ago and today I got an email reminding me that tomorrow is the last day to sign up.

Nope. But they did cash my check.

HAVE NO FEAR! I'm sure stuff will be all together soon. Remember, while we've been having you guys mail us stuff, we've been cramming for exams. :) Hopefully they'll have a lot of it together since we've been out on spring break. I'll also check in with the officers just to see how its all coming along. I swear we'll have it all together, and ya'll will have a great time!

I got a response. The first word was "Unfortunately", which scared the hell out of me...but they were just saying that unfortunately my answers to whether I'll be attending the different events didn't show up in the document I e-mailed, so they were asking for claification. whew!

Just an FYI for anyone looking to move by June...the Promenade at Hermann Park is offering great discounts on rent before summer hits. The smallest is at 935 which, I believe, is around 770sq ft. Definitely the best bang for your buck I have seen. Course it only works if you want to move early, like me. :) In comparison, the Greenbriar was actually more expensive.

Just an FYI for anyone looking to move by June...the Promenade at Hermann Park is offering great discounts on rent before summer hits. The smallest is at 935 which, I believe, is around 770sq ft. Definitely the best bang for your buck I have seen. Course it only works if you want to move early, like me. :) In comparison, the Greenbriar was actually more expensive.

Anyone else have any apartment tips? I sent in my form for the waitlist on student housing, but I guess those places are hard to get. I'd also like to keep my options sort of open anyway.

Anyone else have any apartment tips? I sent in my form for the waitlist on student housing, but I guess those places are hard to get. I'd also like to keep my options sort of open anyway.

Go take a peek at the Baylor thread, they've discussed some apts.

So WW is coming up....what is everyone doing for this dress-like-a-celeb business? I def don't want to bother with a wig or anything too crazy...ideas? Or is anyone really dressing up?? Heh....