UT-Houston Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, I am a little scared to go all out if no one else is doing it.

Haha, yeah...I know what you mean. I don't want to just because I really don't want to drive all the way back home in between lunch and our evening plans to change. ;) I think I might be going creative and making my own celebrity...if you see a Mrs. Dave Matthews shirt walking around, that might be me. :) I could have a lot of fun making that shirt...haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I matched to UTH and had to make a decision between here and another school and settled on UTH. I'm from around here so its good to contemplate med school back in Houston. Very Excited but enjoying my time before school starts again.

Be there for Welcome Weekend!

Who is going to be in town tonight for Welcome Weekend? I'll be eating at Ruggles, hope to see some of you there!!!!!

As for dressing up tomorrow, I thought it was cool that our tables have themes...except that I just now got the email about it. ;) Haha, now I'll feel bad about not going with the theme, but I don't have time to come up with a different costume! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured I'd give the thread a bump. How was the welcome weekend? Wish I could have made it!

Hey guys and gals. Hope welcome weekend was a blast...and I want to congradulate you all on coming to Houston next year, its gonna be a great time. I'm a fourth year at UT who just matched into a surgery residency in Galveston. Thus, my wife and I are about to be needing to lease our house, which is on the opposite side of Hermann park from the hospital. Pretty sweet location, 10 minutes from the train walking...10 minutes from the med school driving. It has served us well, but now it is time to move on. 3 beds, 3 baths, 3 floors. Great town home in a gated community. Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Also, if you have any questions about other parts of town and purchasing/leasing a home/apt, I would be more than happy to lend some advice, as I went throught the same thing a few years ago...and totally understand how daunting a task it can be.
-lance

I wonder, did they take you apartment hunting? If so, then I need to get on the ball and get my app in. :eek:

Yes, they had an apt tour one morning. I didn't go, but I imagine they had a few that went. ;)

i went on the apt tour...it was long but it really helped me sort throught the area apts and condos. I decided to go with a condo and found a great one! good rent, good location and i negotiaited new carpet! i can't wait! how much fun was welcome weekend? i never expected the level of hard core partying that was taking place!!! i couldn't be happier about my decision to come to UTH!

Any of you guys doing the pre-entry program? Or know anything about it? I'm trying to decide if it's worth or not...

Any of you guys doing the pre-entry program? Or know anything about it? I'm trying to decide if it's worth or not...

I know it would be good for me to do, but I'm not going to consider doing it unless I get they ask me to. I'm taking off most of July from work and taking some trips. I don't want to ruin that.

They said the course was for people who have been out of school for a couple years, had bad MCATs, or weren't science majors. Unless two of those apply, I wouldn't bother.

its really up to you. They'll invite the people that they think need to come. The people that go seem to have a lot of fun and they get a head start on things, (like they actually have a clue what they are doing in anatomy lab the first day!). You do some of the harder classes we're taking right now, and you take the tests, but you aren't graded. Its really up to you. Unless you think you may need help school wise, I'd say just go have fun. But it definitely isn't a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
its really up to you. They'll invite the people that they think need to come. The people that go seem to have a lot of fun and they get a head start on things, (like they actually have a clue what they are doing in anatomy lab the first day!). You do some of the harder classes we're taking right now, and you take the tests, but you aren't graded. Its really up to you. Unless you think you may need help school wise, I'd say just go have fun. But it definitely isn't a bad thing.

Yeah I was "invited" (recomended ;)) to come. My mcat was a bit on the lower side so that's probably why I'm guessing. In all honesty I think I would prefer the program to my current employment. So I may participate depending on whether or not I get fin aid. Thanks for the responses guys!

Yeah I was "invited" (recomended ;)) to come. My mcat was a bit on the lower side so that's probably why I'm guessing. In all honesty I think I would prefer the program to my current employment. So I may participate depending on whether or not I get fin aid. Thanks for the responses guys!

I was asked too. Probably because I took a year off school and had a terrible gpa and am borderline ******ed. I'm still looking for a place to live so I can't commit yet. If I can get a place before Apr. 24th then I'll definitely do it.

I was asked too. Probably because I took a year off school and had a terrible gpa and am borderline ******ed. I'm still looking for a place to live so I can't commit yet. If I can get a place before Apr. 24th then I'll definitely do it.

:laugh:, yeah that ******ed thing will get ya.

Unfortunately I do not have a place to live yet either, there's the slim chance I can get into housing I suppose. I've been looking around online at apartments, and I'm going to fly down to in a few weeks and see what the situation is too. My medical school years may or may not be spent living in a card board box...or possibly under an overpass, I haven't quite decided.

My medical school years may or may not be spent living in a card board box...or possibly under an overpass, I haven't quite decided.

...or in a van down by the river! ;)
well i just signed my lease for a condo in One Montreal Place. Cheap rent, on the shuttle line, plenty of space! Perfect! it takes a little more work to find a condo, but i think it is worth it. some of those apartments had crazy-high rent

For some reason I remember hearing financial aid packages come out April 15th. Am I making this up?

For some reason I remember hearing financial aid packages come out April 15th. Am I making this up?

Hm, haven't heard that...but that'd be nice!

Does anyone know if we still get a discount for the rail or did metro do away with that entirely? I just moved so I'm a bit curious. :)

Hm, haven't heard that...but that'd be nice!

Does anyone know if we still get a discount for the rail or did metro do away with that entirely? I just moved so I'm a bit curious. :)

I just got a scholarship notice in the mail. YEA!!! :):):)

Also, about the bus, I think the new Q card has a 50% discount for students. It totally screws commuters like my husband as it took away the discounted rates for him.

Also, about the bus, I think the new Q card has a 50% discount for students. It totally screws commuters like my husband as it took away the discounted rates for him.

Congrats! I'm def not expecting a scholarship...but it'd be nice. ;) Maybe it's at home, I still need to change my mailing address! :p

Hey anyone know if we need to do anything for the background check? On that list of things to do it says it needs to be done by the end of the month and costs $38, but doesn't give any more details.

Hey anyone know if we need to do anything for the background check? On that list of things to do it says it needs to be done by the end of the month and costs $38, but doesn't give any more details.

there's a link you have to go to, print out some instructions, pay with paypal, and fill out some forms. It's all on the website.....click on "LINK"

there's a link you have to go to, print out some instructions, pay with paypal, and fill out some forms. It's all on the website.....click on "LINK"

I got it, thanks. Hopefully all my youthful exploits didn't make it onto the report :p

Howdy!

My name is Blair... I just got accepted from UT-Houston from the Alternate list. :) I'm super excited. I'm planning on going there :)D!!!) as long as the forms and whatnot I sent in to TAMHSC (where I originally got in) are not binding. Frankly, I hope they are the furthest thing possible from binding. Eek! I already took care of living arrangements and whatnot so... yay! I get to go to my number one school!

I hope I get to meet all of you!

Howdy!

My name is Blair... I just got accepted from UT-Houston from the Alternate list. :) I'm super excited. I'm planning on going there :)D!!!) as long as the forms and whatnot I sent in to TAMHSC (where I originally got in) are not binding. Frankly, I hope they are the furthest thing possible from binding. Eek! I already took care of living arrangements and whatnot so... yay! I get to go to my number one school!

I hope I get to meet all of you!

Welcome :hello:

You may need to donate a kidney or part of your liver to get out of a&m :p

Welcome :hello:

You may need to donate a kidney or part of your liver to get out of a&m :p

Thanks for the welcome! :hardy:

Hahaha... I really hope you're just kidding and don't actually think I will have that much of a problem withdrawing from them... :scared:

Thanks for the welcome! :hardy:

Hahaha... I really hope you're just kidding and don't actually think I will have that much of a problem withdrawing from them... :scared:

Well actually I had a friend who told me a while back he was going to withdraw from a&m, he then vanished under mysterious circumstances...coincidence I'm sure ;)

In all seriousness, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

I take it no one has heard anything about fin aid yet? I tried looking for the status on UT-Link but wasn't able to find anything either.

I take it no one has heard anything about fin aid yet? I tried looking for the status on UT-Link but wasn't able to find anything either.

I don't even have my password or number or whatever to get into link yet :laugh:

How'd you guys get yours?

I don't even have my password or number or whatever to get into link yet :laugh:

How'd you guys get yours?

I have an email dated Feb. 5th with that information, from Katherine in the admissions office. :)

I have an email dated Feb. 5th with that information, from Katherine in the admissions office. :)

Did you have to email someone to get the information, or did they automatically send it to you? I have my Student ID Number and I saw on the admission website that our PIN is supposed to be the last 2 digits of our birth year followed by the 2 digits of our birth month, but when I do this it says I'm not allowed to access UT Link or something like that.

:confused:

I just got an email stating I got into the pre-entry program. The email says I can't take any other classes or even have a job. Sounds pretty intense. Goodbye summer. Anyone else doing it?

I haven't heard anything and there is nothing on UTlink. I haven't gotten any feedback about any of the other tasks we were supposed to have done either.

Did you have to email someone to get the information, or did they automatically send it to you? I have my Student ID Number and I saw on the admission website that our PIN is supposed to be the last 2 digits of our birth year followed by the 2 digits of our birth month, but when I do this it says I'm not allowed to access UT Link or something like that.

:confused:

They automatically sent it. I'm sure you could call the office and ask about it, but honestly it's pretty useless so far. ;) No worries.

I haven't heard anything and there is nothing on UTlink. I haven't gotten any feedback about any of the other tasks we were supposed to have done either.

Well, at least we're in the dark together... :p

I just got an email stating I got into the pre-entry program. The email says I can't take any other classes or even have a job. Sounds pretty intense. Goodbye summer. Anyone else doing it?

I'll more than likely be there. I got my "acceptance email" a few weeks ago. They'll be giving out scholarships next week I believe, so as long as I get some green I'll be doing it. If not, I'll probably skip it and keep working.

Only feedback I've gotten is an email yesterday saying that I hadn't completed my background check, then another saying 'nevermind.' I would like to know what the financial situation is going to be though. I'm assuming costs will have to be increased from the previous years to cover increasing gas and food prices. lol, at least it better or I'm going to be eating a lot ramon noodles :)

Wow, eight days since anyone has posted. :)

How is everyone doing? I can't wait for undergrad to be over... 10 days left til graduation! :hardy:

When is everyone moving to Houston (if you're not living there already)?

When is everyone moving to Houston (if you're not living there already)?

No idea, still have absolutely no idea where I'm going to live :scared: I live in Georgia, so it's sort of an ordeal for me to fly all the way out there, just to look at apartments. But I'm sort of scared of leasing something purely over the internet, so I guess I'm going to have to just come out there soon.

Anyone who's doing the pre-entry program get any money news this week?

No idea, still have absolutely no idea where I'm going to live :scared: I live in Georgia, so it's sort of an ordeal for me to fly all the way out there, just to look at apartments. But I'm sort of scared of leasing something purely over the internet, so I guess I'm going to have to just come out there soon.

Anyone who's doing the pre-entry program get any money news this week?

The apartment I'm living in now (for the past 3 years) is the one I found on the internet. My job gave me an apartment hunter's name and she sent me a few options and I chose based on photos and google earth images.

How are things in Ga? I'll be heading back there in a couple weeks?

The apartment I'm living in now (for the past 3 years) is the one I found on the internet. My job gave me an apartment hunter's name and she sent me a few options and I chose based on photos and google earth images.

How are things in Ga? I'll be heading back there in a couple weeks?

I guess you're braver than I am. Though in all honesty if I can find a reasonable rent and the place isn't in the middle of any gang territory I'd probably ok with it :thumbup:

It's been pretty nice back here weather wise at least. There were some fluctuating temps for a while, but it's finally settled down. The pollen has finally started to tapper off a tad too, so you're lucky with that. What part of Ga are you going to?

I guess you're braver than I am. Though in all honesty if I can find a reasonable rent and the place isn't in the middle of any gang territory I'd probably ok with it :thumbup:

It's been pretty nice back here weather wise at least. There were some fluctuating temps for a while, but it's finally settled down. The pollen has finally started to tapper off a tad too, so you're lucky with that. What part of Ga are you going to?

Unfortunatly, I don't think there is any place with reasonable rent near the medical center. I would have thought that being near rice, there would be a lot of places like there was in Atlanta, but I guess those Rice kids are a lot richer than we were. I've been down to Houston a couple times to visit a friend and all the Lanesborough and Greenbriar type places are absurdly lavish.

I'm going to Atlanta/Marietta. What school do you go to? I think I remember you telling me once.

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday, and I'm so happy to say I will be joining you this fall, I am so excited!!!!! Looking forward to retreat!!! :D It's been a long hard road, and I can't tell you how much I was hyperventilating when i checked my email on my crackberry yesterday during my lunch break at work.....gah :eek::eek::eek:

:clap::biglove: ...any more smileys i can use? hmm...

Unfortunatly, I don't think there is any place with reasonable rent near the medical center. I would have thought that being near rice, there would be a lot of places like there was in Atlanta, but I guess those Rice kids are a lot richer than we were. I've been down to Houston a couple times to visit a friend and all the Lanesborough and Greenbriar type places are absurdly lavish.

I'm going to Atlanta/Marietta. What school do you go to? I think I remember you telling me once.

Yeah, I've sort of been wondering how bad it would be to find a place outside of the city and commute, but with gas as it is that may end up being more expensive in the long run. University housing would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution, but the waitlist is rather extensive from what I hear.

I went to KSU, so I'm actually in that general area, I may work in marietta, haha then again it may be roswell I don't know :confused:

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday, and I'm so happy to say I will be joining you this fall, I am so excited!!!!! Looking forward to retreat!!! :D It's been a long hard road, and I can't tell you how much I was hyperventilating when i checked my email on my crackberry yesterday during my lunch break at work.....gah :eek::eek::eek:

:clap::biglove: ...any more smileys i can use? hmm...

Congrats! :hardy: haha, you sound like me. I talked to dr. kellaway during my lunch break at work and almost wished she had just sent me an email so I hadn't embarrassed myself by practically hysterically screaming: "oh my god! I got in?! Are you kidding?!" :laugh:

Congrats! :hardy: haha, you sound like me. I talked to dr. kellaway during my lunch break at work and almost wished she had just sent me an email so I hadn't embarrassed myself by practically hysterically screaming: "oh my god! I got in?! Are you kidding?!" :laugh:

Yeah the hyperventilating was a problem...I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, faint, or vomit. I was so friggin excited. I still am! I can't believe it's happened, finally.....I'm going to stop by the admissions office and say hello, buy a t-shirt, etc etc. Gotta look for housing, yikes!:scared:

Yeah, I've sort of been wondering how bad it would be to find a place outside of the city and commute, but with gas as it is that may end up being more expensive in the long run. University housing would probably be the easiest and cheapest solution, but the waitlist is rather extensive from what I hear.

I went to kennesaw, so I'm actually in that general area, I may work in marietta, haha then again it may be roswell I don't know :confused:

All of the rental rates for the popular places around the rail just skyrocketed (i thought they were already high to begin with!), so I would really recommend also looking into renting a condo. I swear har doesn't pay me, but you can rent a place near the university housing, ride the free shuttle, and pay way less than places like lanesborough. (ex: my friend in a 2/2 and his rent went up to 1325 a month. my other friend just rented a 2/1 condo for 775 and cable is included!)

just my opinion though :)

A friend at Rice gave me the link for their off-campus housing database. It seems like it has a lot of cheaper living options. I'll probably be living in a garage apartment near Rice campus next year.

http://offcampus.rice.edu/

Right now I'm at Promenade at Hermann Park. I definitely recommend it to anyone that can afford it. I'm paying $950 for the bigger 1/1 apartment, which is a little too much for living on financial aid. I considered staying anyway, but they're hiking up my rent :(

I still can't log into UTLink for some reason. Is anyone else having a similar problem? For those that can log in, is there important stuff on there yet?

I still can't log into UTLink for some reason. Is anyone else having a similar problem? For those that can log in, is there important stuff on there yet?

I used to be able to. There was nothing on it. I just checked and I can't now. Don't worry about it.

Any word on Financial aid or Scholarships... I need money to move and to pay for my new place. I am afraid if I call and ask they will black book me or something. I am so impatient... I have had my fafsa filled out since Feb 10th.

Also, does anyone know what time welcome weekend ends on the 16th? I have a NIN concert to go to that evening... I feel your pain with DMB Diana. At first I was like, "darn that sucks for her, she won't be able to go to the concert". Now it has happened to me. Can we bring our own cars and duck out early or are we required to ride the bus?

its ok. they're screwing the students too. it used to be 18 bucks for the whole semester!