UT-Houston Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome! Thanks for your help FrankShui. Is that your real name or a play on Feng Shui?
Not a problem!

Yep it's a play on Feng Shui! ;) I don't even put much stock into Feng Shui although I don't know much about it.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I'm the newest member of UTH:banana::biglove:! I'm so excited and still in shock. Now that there's so much to do, I wanted to know if anyone got there shot for immunization at uth, a private doctor, or a clinic.

Hello I'm the newest member of UTH:banana::biglove:! I'm so excited and still in shock. Now that there's so much to do, I wanted to know if anyone got there shot for immunization at uth, a private doctor, or a clinic.

We need shots??? haha, I'm personally still working on that. I've yet to see if highschool immunizations are acceptable for mmr and a few others. I did start the hep b, but only because that takes a while. It doesn't matter where you get them though, they're fairly expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
county health departments are usually reasonably priced.

Anyone have any familiarity with student housing? Good or bad. It's cheap that seems to be a big plus for me. I also thought I remember hearing a rumor that it was furnished?

i haven't heard about them being furnished...I doubt they are. The new complex looks very nice, and the older one looked perfectly acceptable. I got on the waitlist back in february and I'm supposed to hear back this week for a july move in. I have no idea what the odds are for getting in at this point.

I was able to stay with a MS2 for my interview in November and I can say for sure that the "new housing" is pretty nice, but not furnished at all (besides appliances). The location seems to be pretty good, esp. with the shuttle.

I put my name on the list right after match and was told there was about a 50/50 chance of getting in if I wanted a May/June move in and much less if I wanted a July/August. I opted for May, but didn't get in and had to find another place.

I just found out I got a place at cambridge (the old place) for a july move in. Unfortunately they said the newer place is in pretty high demand. My name was also on the list kind of late so that may have been part of the problem. I'm thinking I'll more than likely go with it. Can't really beat the location or the price I suppose.

So I got my financial aid packet last week, and panic has begun. I feel slightly ******ed for asking this, but... how much is our tuition? I found the "living expenses" stuff but I can't find an amount for tuition.

I just found out I got a place at cambridge (the old place) for a july move in. Unfortunately they said the newer place is in pretty high demand. My name was also on the list kind of late so that may have been part of the problem. I'm thinking I'll more than likely go with it. Can't really beat the location or the price I suppose.

Did they call or email you? I was put down for a July move in and I have not heard anything from them.

Just out of curiosity anyone know how the utilities (power, gas, internet, etc.) stuff works with student housing? Is anything included or is it all separate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

1. Any one up for getting together for an informal dinner thing again? The one at Two Rows oh so long ago was fun and there are new folks around. . .

2. I was wondering what the dress code for computer orientation & orientation is? Do we have time to froo-froo up before the White Coat?

3. Anyone else coming up with mindless questions that are bugging you?

>>1. I'd like to but I won't be around town again until July. Have fun.

>>2. I'd assume regular clothes are fine for orientation and I'm sure there is time between to get dressed up.

Hey guys!

1. Any one up for getting together for an informal dinner thing again? The one at Two Rows oh so long ago was fun and there are new folks around. . .

Always down for something. :) I organized the last one, someone else take the reigns this time. :D

2. I was wondering what the dress code for computer orientation & orientation is? Do we have time to froo-froo up before the White Coat?
You can wear normal street clothes for the orientations because you'll have plenty of time to change for the White Coat ceremony.

Hey guys!

I'm up for getting together informally.

Hey guys!

1. I'm totally up for that!

2. I don't know anything about this - but we do have a dress code for class, right? I think I saw that online.

1. I'm totally up for that!

2. I don't know anything about this - but we do have a dress code for class, right? I think I saw that online.

I would assume the dress code is referring to the time we spend in clinic. Not much to worry about for the first 2 years. :) Just don't come to class smelly...bathe people! :p

I would assume the dress code is referring to the time we spend in clinic. Not much to worry about for the first 2 years. :) Just don't come to class smelly...bathe people! :p

Seriously. Anyone who sits near me who has bad B.O. is going to get doused with Febreeze. ;)

A question for current students...
I've heard mostly negative comments about the student healthcare insurance that the school enrolls us is. Should we consider looking elsewhere? Because I'll be quitting my job here soon and I need to get this figured out...

I've heard mostly negative comments about the student healthcare insurance that the school enrolls us is. Should we consider looking elsewhere? Because I'll be quitting my job here soon and I need to get this figured out...

Here's the info I got from the website:

Student health insurence is through united health care (group plan). You can call 713-500-8400 for more info, which I need to do. At one point, i found a summary of the policy at one point and it looked ok, but not great.

The other option which suggested on the website is to get insurence through the Texas Medical Association. 1-800-880-8181. I haven't called yet so I don't know if this is part of a group plan or an individual one or the cost/coverage.

additional info:
www.tmait.org I talked to a guy who is sending me some quotes. It is an individual policy. This looks like the best bet for an individual policy.

Last edited:

I would look around. I've heard lots of bad things about it, mostly just that it is a pain in the butt. I know a couple people who were able to get their own insurance for not much more. It could be worth it.

So did the suggestion for having an informal meet up get nixed?

I think the best way to do it ends up doing it through facebook :) Pick a time here and then make an even through the fb group. That worked well last year. And as soon as I'm in Houston, I'll totally come bust up ya'lls parties. :) YAY for get togethers!

Nope, still on...like I said, I planned the last one. So somebody else feel free to step up. ;)

Hello all,

So, I have a couple options for apartments next year but I have no roommate. All the places I have been looking at are very close to the medical center (bike or light rail). Does anybody need a roommate or know of somewhere I can go (website) to find one....

Thanks and enjoy your summer,
Sebastian

Hello all,

So, I have a couple options for apartments next year but I have no roommate. All the places I have been looking at are very close to the medical center (bike or light rail). Does anybody need a roommate or know of somewhere I can go (website) to find one....

Thanks and enjoy your summer,
Sebastian

Try the facebook group. People have been getting email addresses off mass emails from the school to look for roommates. It doesn't seem to be bothering anyone too much.

hey so I was accepted a few weeks ago off the waitlist and pretty excited to be at UTH...I am finalizing the place I am going to be renting tomorrow.

Congrats...

Theres still hope for the rest of us that are on the waitlist...

1. Okay, so... as far as a get together is concerned... is anyone going to be in Houston next week? Maybe on Wednesday or Thursday we could get together for dinner? I would suggest the weekend, but since it's July 4th weekend I figured people would have plans (myself included). I don't mind arranging all of this (Facebook Group Event, dinner reservations, etc) if people actually want to go. Diana has already done one, so I figure I'll do the next. :)

1(a). If next week doesn't work out, does anyone else have a suggestion?
1(b). I'm not from Houston and haven't spent any significant time there, so where would everyone like to go for some eats?

2. I was going to go pick up my white coat (yay!) next week, but I've never been to the bookstore... so I don't really know how to get there or where it is. Anyone have any tips on where to park, etc?

3. Sorry for posting 11 billion zillion times! I've been spending way too much time on SDN. Someone make me stop! :hungover:

1. Okay, so... as far as a get together is concerned... is anyone going to be in Houston next week? Maybe on Wednesday or Thursday we could get together for dinner? I would suggest the weekend, but since it's July 4th weekend I figured people would have plans (myself included). I don't mind arranging all of this (Facebook Group Event, dinner reservations, etc) if people actually want to go. Diana has already done one, so I figure I'll do the next. :)

1(b). I'm not from Houston and haven't spent any significant time there, so where would everyone like to go for some eats?

2. I was going to go pick up my white coat (yay!) next week, but I've never been to the bookstore... so I don't really know how to get there or where it is. Anyone have any tips on where to park, etc?

3. Sorry for posting 11 billion zillion times! I've been spending way too much time on SDN. Someone make me stop! :hungover:

Getting the class together sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately I'm not going to be in Houston so I can't make it.

In regards to your second point, the bookstore is downstairs. When I went most of the doors needed a card key access to get in, but it seemed like the door to the medical school in the breezeway was open. If you go in there through the lounge and down the stairs there will be a huge sign for the bookstore. If you get lost there is a security guard at the desk on the first floor. Good Luck!

If you park outside the Jesse Jones Library in the front, they have free 20 minute parking. If you can really just run in and run out, I would really recommend parking there :) (from fannin turn onto John Freemand blvd. The library will be on your left. if your car drives into the baylor medical school building, you went too far.)

Hey everyone!

Here is a link to a Facebook Event page for a get-together next week! I'm not an admin of the Facebook group, so I can't invite everyone in it, so I'm hoping that somehow it spreads around to everyone.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=19052596537

Please come if you can!

To those of you doing the pre-entry program, what are you bringing tomorrow? I'm planning on just bringing a spiral notebook. I assume all food will be catered by some fancy resturant.

I'm bringing something to take notes, a photo ID, and some cash in case food isn't provided, though I hope you're right about that fancy restaurant. ;) See y'all at that guard's desk tomorrow morning!

Hey could you keep us posted on what you do? I really wanted to go, but I get the childcare this summer and I don't think they would have wanted to tag along!

To those of you doing the pre-entry program, what are you bringing tomorrow? I'm planning on just bringing a spiral notebook. I assume all food will be catered by some fancy resturant.

I'm not gonna lie and say I'm not a little nervous, but I'm mostly excited! Mostly because it's like "freebie" school! I wonder how many of us are in the program? I volunteered for it because (I'm a dork) I was bored and quit my job. Woohoo! Oh, and I graduated two years ago so I wanted to brush up.

I'm bringing my laptop, spiral notebook, wallet etc, pens, I.D.. We will likely be taking our badge photos tomorrow so look decent! Are they really providing food for us? :luck:

They have posted the classes and fees on UTLink. Quite a fall planned for us! Tiny voices screaming run away!

I think the first day of pre-entry program went well--easy....for now. Tomorrow, the REAL fun begins!

A couple people actually recognized me from my SDN pic....taking it off now! I thought thats what these things were for! :blush: Gotta find something funny/cute/whatever...the pressure is ON!

Oh, and anybody want to form a study group for the PEP? I'm a social learner, big time. Little bit of studying on my own, and a little in a group...anyone interested, PM me!

Aww... Now I kind of wish I'd volunteered for the PEP. Oh well. Soon enough, right? :)

So kiddoz :) ...

Don't forget to sign up for retreat!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!

It will be TONS of fun.

Believe it :)

What is everyone's status with Financial Aid? When I log into UTLink, from what I can tell, everything seems to be in line, except that it also says that my disbursement schedule has not been determined...?

I'm not sure if I'm paranoid or getting antsy for no reason, but I really don't want to show up on day 1 and have them tell me to get out because I didn't pay or something similarly catastrophic.

What is everyone's status with Financial Aid? When I log into UTLink, from what I can tell, everything seems to be in line, except that it also says that my disbursement schedule has not been determined...?

I'm not sure if I'm paranoid or getting antsy for no reason, but I really don't want to show up on day 1 and have them tell me to get out because I didn't pay or something similarly catastrophic.

Mine says that too, it's not a big deal right now. Make sure you do split up your tuition payment into 2 or 4 installments though otherwise you'll be paying for all of it in the first semester and be left with very little dough to last you through december.

Mine says that too, it's not a big deal right now. Make sure you do split up your tuition payment into 2 or 4 installments though otherwise you'll be paying for all of it in the first semester and be left with very little dough to last you through december.
Definitely.

Mine also says that and it said the same thing last year at this time. I panicked a year ago and called them to find out what the deal was. They told me that they wouldn't update it until almost the beginning of school. However, they did tell me when my money would be disbursed, which was the first week of school or a couple of days before, I believe. I assume it will be the same this year. You can call them to check so you can be 100% sure.

The book list is out for this year now. It is on the calendar page. You can save more than $120 if you order on amazon I was told by someone looking up books. I have already bought some and I want to get the syllabi!