UT Houston VS Michigan VS UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooddent7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were accepted at UT Houston, Michigan and UCSF, which school would you choose?
I am a resident of Texas.
Do I need to consider less cost or good reputation?
Please give me some advice.
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
when did you get accepted to houston? just curious as I am still waiting to hear from Houston...but I would choose Houston b/c of cost...if cost is not an issue then UCSF...San Fran is a fun town to live

when did you get accepted to houston? just curious as I am still waiting to hear from Houston...but I would choose Houston b/c of cost...if cost is not an issue then UCSF...San Fran is a fun town to live

I got accepted on January.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF hands down! It is a dream school for many California applicants. It would be a great experience living in San Francisco.

UCSF hands down! It is a dream school for many California applicants. It would be a great experience living in San Francisco.

An experience that might end costing ~120K.

Go to Houston. Dentists have the reputation for being ultra cheap, so you're forbidden to break that mould. Every penny matters. Never enjoy life. Die with a huge bank account.:rolleyes:

Go to Houston. Dentists have the reputation for being ultra cheap, so you're forbidden to break that mould. Every penny matters. Never enjoy life. Die with a huge bank account.:rolleyes:

I bet someone will respond to your post within a few minutes to rationalize his pick of UoP over Columbia(which he still regrets deep down).

I bet someone will respond to your post within a few minutes to rationalize his pick of UoP over Columbia(which he still regrets deep down).

He wants oral surgery. It's his choice to turn down a school that graduates about a dozen OS-bound students each year. But in all reality, I'd rather see him get it than to see him fail. I don't care much for "I told you so" 's.

Last edited:
He wants oral surgery. It's his choice to turn down a school that graduates about a dozen OS-bound students each year. But in all reality, I'd rather see him get it than to see him fail. I don't care much for "I told you so" 's.

I didn't know that he wants OMFS (or OS). In that case, I feel bad for him, but I am happy to see that he is going well in UoP. Now, if he wants to do Orthro/Endo/Perio/Prostho, choosing UoP over Columbia wouldn't be such a mistake. For OMFS, definitely a mistake, but I am sure he won't agree with you or me.

I loved UCSF when I interviewed there. I withdrew my application from the waitlist a couple days ago because I'd be saving around 100K going to my state school. I guess it really comes down to whether or not living in SF is worth an extra 120k...good luck with your decision either way! :thumbup:

Houston hands down. Can't go wrong with saving $$$

haha. Well, it's possible I was behind you on the wait list, therefore me withdrawing wouldn't affect you either way (unless you're in the 40's or 50's) Good luck getting in though!

Houston. All 3 Texas schools are top notch in IMO, people outside of Texas dont realize this as the Texas D-schools do not accept/interview to many out of staters.

Go to your state school first cuz of them greenbacks!

I can't stand the cold so my second choice would be UCSF. I believe you can get state res in one year @ UCSF...not sure about that. If you really want to get away and experience a new place and don't mind spend'n OOS tuition for one year, UCSF would be a good choice.

Thank you very much regarding many comments.
Does anyone know living cost at SF if you have two children who need to go to school?

I believe you can get state res in one year @ UCSF...not sure about that.

You can, and the requirements aren't rigid so everybody's a Cali resident by their 2nd year. We only pay one year's extra tuition.

Go to Houston and let that UCSF waiting lost move.
Choosing Houston will help you in the long run ($$) and it will help those who are on the waiting list of UCSF.

Thank you very much regarding many comments.
Does anyone know living cost at SF if you have two children who need to go to school?

If you have kids, I would say definitely stick to Houston. Although I'm not a parent, taking on an extra 120k of loans while supporting a family sounds like an enormous undertaking.