UT Houston vs. UTHSC San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MMoth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

For those of you that have interviewed at both UT Med School at Houston and UTHSC San Antonio, which do you think is a better school?

They seem fairly similar to me, and I think I am going to have a hard time making a decision between the two. :confused: Any good insight??

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I like UT Houston better. My comp is about to die, so I will come back and edit this post later! lol

I like UT Houston better. My comp is about to die, so I will come back and edit this post later! lol

Haha okay, thanks Ursa. I'd like to hear your reasons about why whenever you get the chance! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UTH is a far better school. The facilities alone push it over the top for me. The opportunities available at UTH due simply because of TMC are pretty incomparable to UTHSC.

That said, figure out what works best for you.

UTHSCSA, in my humble Opinion. UTHSCSA has one of the best anatomy programs (i think #7 in the US), I like their systems curriculum, and I think that the thing that is really appealing about the school is the camaraderie among the classmates.
The students there are all extremely friendly and they all seem like a nice, big, happy family, and to me, this was very appealing considering how cut-throat and competitive some schools are and how many of the students at these schools are what we refer to as "gunners".

The school just seems to place a high emphasis on camaraderie and building relationships among classmates to ease the difficulty of med school. However, I will agree with Cole in that their facilities are pretty old.

If you didn't leave UT-H with a feeling of friendliness and camaraderie among classmates, you didn't get an accurate picture of the school.

Both schools are good. Decide if you want to live in Houston or San Antonio.

Hi all,

For those of you that have interviewed at both UT Med School at Houston and UTHSC San Antonio, which do you think is a better school?

They seem fairly similar to me, and I think I am going to have a hard time making a decision between the two. :confused: Any good insight??

Thanks!

Is this who I think it is? San Antonio all the way!

Is this who I think it is? San Antonio all the way!

Not sure how you think you know who I am, Solo75. Quite intriguing :)

I am guessing you go (or are planning to go to) UTHSCSA though. Why/how did you choose it?

UT Houston seemed amazing: facilities are awesome, hospitals are great, and students seemed super normal (which is sometimes hard to find). My main concern is the level of stress brought on by Houston and the TMC in general. UTHSCSA seemed much more relaxed.. well, at least as relaxed as a med school can be. I, too, noticed the camaraderie and happiness of students at UTHSCSA. Hmm decisions, decisions...

My impression from seeing both schools:

UTH = better hospital

UTHSCSA = better curriculum

Take your pick, but having to decide is a good problem to have

I just get nervous when I think about 3rd and 4th year at UTH. Even though they are awesome, they have plenty of residents/interns who get first dibs on a lot of stuff. I don't know if UTHSCSA is similar.

I just get nervous when I think about 3rd and 4th year at UTH. Even though they are awesome, they have plenty of residents/interns who get first dibs on a lot of stuff. I don't know if UTHSCSA is similar.
you do remember that TMC is the largest medical center in the world, seeing ~6 million patients per year, right?

it's not like we're lacking for clinical opportunities. I'm seeing enough patients as a second year without residents, medical students, or anyone else stealing them from me.

it's funny what premeds think will be issues with their education that medical students say are absolutely irrelevant... of course premeds think med students don't know what they're talking about and will go with their neurotic thoughts anyway.

Rankings are due tomorrow, so what are the final decisions? I pre-matched to UTHSCSA and had a really hard time deciding how to rank it with UT-H. In the end, I have decided on UTHSCSA solely due to the fact that I do better in smaller, less-intimidating cities (the TMC was just a little bit scary to me :oops: )

Rankings are due tomorrow, so what are the final decisions? I pre-matched to UTHSCSA and had a really hard time deciding how to rank it with UT-H. In the end, I have decided on UTHSCSA solely due to the fact that I do better in smaller, less-intimidating cities (the TMC was just a little bit scary to me :oops: )

#1) UT-H
#2) UTHSCSA (holding pre-match)
#3) UTSW
#4) Tech-Lubbock

In the end it came down to where I felt I would be most comfortable. My thought process was med-school is med-school. It's going to be trying, stressful, and exciting no matter where you go; therefore I wanted to be in a location where I am comfortable, close to friends and family, and in the best position to succeed.