1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UT Houston?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by houston06, Jul 3, 2002.

1. houston06

houston06 Junior Member

Anyone starting UT Houston this fall?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pakgirl

pakgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

I am attending UT-houston this fall, are you? I know of one other person attending that is in this discussion group.

4. Hookem1125

Hookem1125 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey ya'll...

Care to share your stats? I am not applying this year, but will be next year.

And just out of curiosity, what made you decide on Houston?

Good luck!

Hook'em

5. houston06

houston06 Junior Member

Pakgirl,
    Yes, I?m going to UT Houston? in like 4 weeks! I?m excited, but nervous. Do you know anyone else in our class? I don?t. Do you live in Houston? My wife and I moved to ut housing this spring and we love it.

Hookem,
    I have a 3.9 and 22 DAT. Why did I choose Houston? It has a comfortable and friendly atmosphere. The building and facilities looked brighter and more open. The class size is smaller and students seem willing to help one another. Apparently, Houston?s oral surgery is very good. I?m not necessarily interested in this as a specialty, but I?d like the experience. I was told the military sends all their oral surgeons to Houston for a rotation in trauma. I didn?t like the location of Baylor, but it?s facilities are very nice. At San Antonio, I loved the location, but it felt tenser and more competitive. I also didn?t care for their DVD system. The students I asked said they rarely use it for schoolwork. I think all 3 schools are very good, I wouldn?t have hesitated going to any of them. Houston just clicked with me. I hope your application goes well. Those were not fun days.

6. Hookem1125

Hookem1125 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow!

Fantastic stats! I wish I could claim similar, but I'm not quite in that league!

Thanks for your insight into schools as well. To date I am actually favoring SA, but I too had some concerns as far as the DVD was concerned. I wasn't sure how necessary that really was. My main reason for favoring SA was location, with Houston being my second choice. I have been to SA for visits with the dean of admissions, and was quite impressed with her and the limited amount of the facility that I was able to sneak a peek at. Hopefully in the fall I'll have the opportunity to further explore all 3 schools.

Anyways, best of luck to you.

Hook'em

7. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey hookem,

u should really consider joining ASDA at UT if u havent already done so. each semester, they try to take trips to the three dental schools. during the visit, you'll meet the deans and other important people. Dental students will give u a tour and answer whatever question u might have. i benefited a lot from going to those trips. just my piece of advice

8. Dentista

Dentista Member
    7+ Year Member

im a little apprehensive about it, but im starting at houston in a couple of short weeks. how do you like the 2nd years trying to rip us off with the $60 crates and folders?! im so used to the good life right now (no school or work), studying all the time does not look pretty.

9. houston06

houston06 Junior Member

And how about that orientation week t-shirt? They read my mind, just what I wanted. I take it you didn?t buy it? I got it mainly for the CD, but I didn?t buy the shelves. I?m so ready to finish work. I have one more week left, but I?ll probably be spending it on the internet and long lunches. Looks like we?ve got 2 ? more weeks to go.

10. pakgirl

pakgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Houston 06,

I just moved to town a few weeks ago. I am familiar with the city (which I really love) since I grew up in nearby Huntsville. Anyways, I am really nervous about starting.
    I will be living in the Northwest area and will be commuting.
    That was nice of the second years to give us a heads up on what to expect at orientation. See you and dentista at orientation!

pakgirl

11. houston06

houston06 Junior Member

Hey ya'll! Thought I'd give you a heads up. Those expendable kits we have are going to be on sale for 1 more week (or so I've been told). The sale was going to end July 22. I'm not sure if I'll get it now or wait til after orientation. I don't really want to spend the money, but there is a 5% discount (hey every little bit helps) and I guess I have to get it anyway.

I'm looking forward to orientation, but trying to enjoy the last full week. Are we one of the first dental schools starting up? Oh well, it feels like it. See ya'll in a couple weeks.