UT-Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgewbush

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know anything about the University of Texas - Houston Pathology program?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, but I don't have any info on UT-Houston, but I do know a little about Baylor-Houston (Pretty big programs which seems pretty fellow intensive. This may hurt some of the residents, but the good news is there'd be plenty of fellowship opportunities. Anyways, sorry I couldn't help answer your real question...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify the comments about Baylor. I spent a little time there and disagree a little with the fellowship comment. While Baylor offers a wide range of fellowships, it in now way detracts from the experience of the residents who all have a fair, but in no way overwhelming, amount of work (i.e. they are all finished by 8:00pm at the very latest and even that is a rare occasion).

A couple of other points.

From my understanding, UT-Houston did not match anyone last year, but they filled this year.

Baylor took 5 through the match this year, so not a gigantic program. The residents there cover 4 hospitals and the program as a whole sees over 60K surgicals a year. In my humble opinion, I feel the path training at Baylor is superior to all other Texas programs.

Hope this helps.

i agree baylor would be the best in texas. among the different uts, one comment i got from an attending was that ut houston would be the weakest among all four uts.

I have heard that Baylor and UTSW are stronger programs but is UT-Houston still a good program?

Baylor actually is quite a large program. We only took 5 residents last year because that is all we had financial support for. Including fellows, there are over 40 people in the training program. Definitely a great program! It was my first choice in the match, and I had interviewed all over the U.S. Very happy with my decision. A high volume of surgical pathology with all major hospitals represented (county, VA, pediatric, and private sector). Excellent cytology with big names. CP is actually quite good and emphasized. 2 conferences daily. All lunches are catered. The faculty are very oriented to resident education. I cant really think of any negatives except for the summer humidity.:cool: :cool:

There is no question that the UT Houston program is an extremely strong program that has reputation well known throughout the pathology world! The Baylor folk would have you think that their program is the better of the two programs but in my humble opinion....they are WRONG! If you train at UT-Houston, you will have your choice of any type of fellowship that you should desire. In addition to that, you will be able to tip your hat to the Baylor residents as you head home at 5:00pm while they will be slaving away until 7 or 8:00pm every night.

I think that the UT-Houston program ranks in the top 10-15 in the country and is probably the best program in Texas. As I said before, you will have no problem landing an enviable fellowship or top paying job if you choose to do so.

Good luck Mr President.

:) :clap: :p :laugh: :D

all the UT programs are strong and so is Baylor. I would agree very much that UT Houston is a very strong program but as I had said before, an attending told me that of the four UT programs, Houston would already be the weakest.