Quantcast

UT-Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi I was wondering if any of yall out there have apllied to UT-Houston (or plan too) Can anyone give me some advice on what they are looking for? I have average grades (mostly B's) I am from Houston and I am interested in serving undeserved areas of Texas. I have a part time job (not in a medical field..at a grocery store) If any of you have any advice please write me. Has anyone been inside the medschool? Also what is Baylor Colege of Medicine like?

Gleevec

Peter, those are Cheerios
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by bubbajones
Hi I was wondering if any of yall out there have apllied to UT-Houston (or plan too) Can anyone give me some advice on what they are looking for? I have average grades (mostly B's) I am from Houston and I am interested in serving undeserved areas of Texas. I have a part time job (not in a medical field..at a grocery store) If any of you have any advice please write me. Has anyone been inside the medschool? Also what is Baylor Colege of Medicine like?

Hi,
Im from Houston as well and have interviewed at UTH and will be interviewing at Baylor in a few weeks. Both schools accept in-state predominantly (90% and 75% approximately, respectively), so its good youre from Houston. Both Baylor and UTH are commited to training physicians to practice in underserved areas of Texas (holy crap, I sound like a mission statement), so I think you have both in-state and career aspirations going for you.

I think your grades are OK, but it really depends on your grades in premed coursework and your MCAT. I would definitely apply to both schools though, as well as others in Texas. I know UTSA, TAMU, and TT are all big on training physicians to practice in underserved areas as well. Generally, Baylor, UTSW, and even UTH are considered the more research intensive schools in TX, but they do a good deal of underserved training as well, or so I am told.

UTH and Baylor are both a part of the Texas Medical Center which is really nice and the largest in the world (it also has the worst traffic in the world, or so I feel, but the light rail going online next year should fix some of that). Ive seen Baylor before and interviewed at UTH, and their facilities are fantastic, even in light of the floods (which they are doing construction right now to repair the damage and actually improve their respective campuses).

I guess what Im trying to say is both UTH and Baylor are great schools, and I think you should apply to both of them. You can learn more about them by reading the Interview Feedback portion of this site.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I dont know much, but I can tell ya what I know. =) Also, read the Texas applicants threads, those have good info about those schools in them as well.

Good luck!

Miss155

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I also would love to attend UT-H, but I don't know what they are looking for as far as stats are concerned.

ndi_amaka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Miss155
Hi

I also would love to attend UT-H, but I don't know what they are looking for as far as stats are concerned.

If you were told they only take 4.0 /45 MCAT students, would that make you work any less than you should??

Really, you should just work your best and do what is within your power to be a damn good applicant. Past that, it is basically up to God/Fate/Luck (which ever you believe in).

Do your best, UTH is a good school. Their average now is around a 3.7 and 30 MCAT. But remember that it is an average. They take people above and below that number. I have friends that attend that school and they love it. But they are also not the kinds of ppl that stay in the library all day.

Even UTSW (which is a higher ranked school than UTH) takes ppl with a range from 3.0 to 4.0 and 21 to 41 MCAT.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate Dallas..Im a native Houstonion so I would go to Baylor or UT-H over UTSW any day :p

sfgboy

Village fool
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a native of Katy (suburb of Texas) and am waiting to hear back from both Houston schools (UT-H hopefully this Saturday night). UT-H has become increasingly selective in recent years. The dean of admissions (Gunn) cares most about your gpa, and less about your mcat scores. I've also seen that the college you go to is really not much of a factor in admission. To be invited for an interview, I think you'd need a gpa of at least 3.4. I have a 3.3 / 35 MCAT and Gunn told me I got an interview only because I did some work for the chair of a surgery dept at UT-H.

My advice is get your grades up, and have at least one really interesting activity you can talk about... it doesn't have to be research related.

rager1

Anatomy-be-gone
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sfgm112
Hi I'm a native of Katy (suburb of Texas) and am waiting to hear back from both Houston schools (UT-H hopefully this Saturday night). UT-H has become increasingly selective in recent years. The dean of admissions (Gunn) cares most about your gpa, and less about your mcat scores. I've also seen that the college you go to is really not much of a factor in admission. To be invited for an interview, I think you'd need a gpa of at least 3.4. I have a 3.3 / 35 MCAT and Gunn told me I got an interview only because I did some work for the chair of a surgery dept at UT-H.

My advice is get your grades up, and have at least one really interesting activity you can talk about... it doesn't have to be research related.

I thought the rest of the USA was the suburb of Texas...while Katy was a suburb of Houston...

<cricket>

<cricket>

--Rager

sfgboy

Village fool
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
oops put a foot in mouth... :D sheepishly corrected... yes suburb west of houston! home of the rocket! go stros
:)

catch 23

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ndi_amaka
Do your best, UTH is a good school. Their average now is around a 3.7 and 30 MCAT.

According to US News and World Report, the students who matriculated to UH in 2002 had an average MCAT of 8.9/section which equals about a 27 MCAT and a GPA of 3.7. I'm amazed they place such a differential preference on GPA! Anyhow, good advice, ndi. You should just try your best no matter what. If you have a poor GPA make it up with a better MCAT or extracurrics. Houston and Galveston interview the most students (when I interviewed it was more than half who applied to the school). Based on the stats of students who apply, much less than half of the students have GPA's over 3.7 so it seems logical that HOuston goes out of its way to at least interview students who don't fit the perfect mold. If push comes to shove, just wow them in your interview--and they'll be forced to take you! Good luck to everyone.

::Seabass::

bringing burkas back!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by catch 23
According to US News and World Report, the students who matriculated to UH in 2002 had an average MCAT of 8.9/section which equals about a 27 MCAT and a GPA of 3.7.
That was 2002.

2003 was right under a 30 for MCAT, the exact number is probably in the handout they give you when you interview.

TexPre-Med

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where did you get these facts? U.S. News and World Reports 2004 gives the facts of 2003 and states a 8.9 MCAT with 3.67 g.p.a.

::Seabass::

bringing burkas back!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by TexPre-Med
Where did you get these facts? U.S. News and World Reports 2004 gives the facts of 2003 and states a 8.9 MCAT with 3.67 g.p.a.
that is the entering class of 2002, I'm in the entering class of 2003. 2004 world news report came out last April right? so that couldn't have been for the fall of 2003 because the final entering class for the school (and the rest of the schools around the nation, had yet to be finalized.) The entering class of 2003 will be in the 2005 report and those stats haven't come out yet, they do in April 2004.

As for the GPA, I have no idea.