UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallazar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how many people UT Houston is interviewing? I got a interview with them last year w/ a low MCAT (25) and haven't heard from them this year yet MCAT (30) I applied late (middle of August) and didn't get verified until 10/8. But I have recieved interviews from TCOM, Tech, and San Antionio, but haven't heard from them.

Is it appropriate to call the school and let them know your interested in an interview, if it is done tactfully?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that many of the Texas schools usually don't give interviews to the same person in consecutive years. I might be wrong, though -- anyone else hear this?

With an MCAT improvement like that (congrats) I think it's worth calling and trying to get a sense of things. If they have a policy against reinterviewing, maybe they'll tell you. Maybe a call is all you need to get that improved score noticed.

I think they interview somewhere around 1,000 people. anyone?

Theresa

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth:

I interviewed and waitlisted there last year, but haven't received a regular MD interview invite this year. Maybe there is something to this theory.

And forget trying to get info from the admissions office; they're really not conducive to giving out information.

Evo

I know, I tried to get some info from the office today in order to find out if something was holding up my application. The receptionist brushed me off. I don't see why a school would not interview reapplicants, especially if you have a stronger app. w/ better scores and more clincial exp. I thought it might actaully help you. This whole app. process is getting very frustrating.

Just to let you all know:

A good friend of mine who applied last year and was interviewed and waitlisted by UT Houston interviewed at UT Houston again this season. I am not sure how many people they i'view, but I think I read on their website that their interview season lasts through January 7th. So, there is still time!

I thought one of the Texas schools WILL NOT interview you again if you interviewed there once before. It could be Southwestern though.. I had thought it was Houston.

UT-Houston tries to interview around 1,200 students a year.

I interviewed ther two years ago, but haven't heard anythign from them since. however, my interview was so horrible I'd never expect an interview.

I know my wife interviewed last year at Texas A&M and Houston. But this year she has not had an interview with Houston. But she did get another from A&M? So the theory is not always true.

Do you know how to get throught the secretary in order to let the Dean know your interested? The secretary was not very helpful in this matter. If they have a policy that they don't interview a reapplicant, it would be nice to know, so I don't keep hoping for an interview. Also do think not turning in selective service app. would hold things up? I asked the secretary this, but she said since I am older than 25, it doesn't apply for me. Still I wonder if candidates who turn this in are preferred, even if it is not required.

Being female and nontrad, I don't know about the selective service issue ;)

Let's see, have you asked to speak to an admissions counselor? Have you tried emails?

If the secretary blocks you everytime you say you're an applicant, try calling and saying you plan to reapply next year and would like some insight into UTH's reapplicant policy. Don't tell 'em you've already reapplied until you find out the answer. (assuming the secretary blocks you solely for being a current applicant.)

Do you know anyone at the school or affiliated with the school who might be able to ask around for you? Even a student might help. Just someone who can get past the watch dogs. (no insult to admissions secretaries intended!)

Sometimes persistance pays off! Heck, maybe you could write a letter to the Dean highlighting your recent accomplishments and new MCAT.

If you want it, find a way to get your foot in the door!
Good luck,
Theresa

I know of two people who interviewed with UTH two years in a row. Granted, it was 6yrs ago......

I know for a fact that UT-H's policy on interviewing reapplicants is that unless the applicant has made a "significant change" to his/her application, if she/he was granted an interview once, they will not be invited again. It's a strange policy but I work at UT-H and one of the secretaries of my dept asked about this for me.

To me, going from a 25 to a 30 on the MCAT would qualify as a "significant change," but who knows with this process? It's frustrating as hell.

Hope this helps...

-LPMD

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by TheresaW
Being female and nontrad, I don't know about the selective service issue ;)

Let's see, have you asked to speak to an admissions counselor? Have you tried emails?

If the secretary blocks you everytime you say you're an applicant, try calling and saying you plan to reapply next year and would like some insight into UTH's reapplicant policy. Don't tell 'em you've already reapplied until you find out the answer. (assuming the secretary blocks you solely for being a current applicant.)

Do you know anyone at the school or affiliated with the school who might be able to ask around for you? Even a student might help. Just someone who can get past the watch dogs. (no insult to admissions secretaries intended!)

Sometimes persistance pays off! Heck, maybe you could write a letter to the Dean highlighting your recent accomplishments and new MCAT.

If you want it, find a way to get your foot in the door!
Good luck,
Theresa

Theresa, I am thinking of taking your advice about writing a letter to the Dean, since I still have not heard from UT Houston yet. Should I address it to the Admissions Committee or a specific Dean on the board of admissions? Thanks.

Why write a letter and have to wait for it to get there via snailmail. You can't afford to let that amount of time go by. I would call the dean and talk to him yourself. He is very friendly and will tell you straight up what is going on. I interviewed there last year and interviewed there this year. I haven't heard anything about not interviewing reapplicants. Best of luck.

Originally posted by theringworm
Why write a letter and have to wait for it to get there via snailmail. You can't afford to let that amount of time go by. I would call the dean and talk to him yourself. He is very friendly and will tell you straight up what is going on. I interviewed there last year and interviewed there this year. I haven't heard anything about not interviewing reapplicants. Best of luck.

I'm going to second this advice. Don't write, call and/or email. It is gettting kinda late in the game since interview slots are filling up. A letter might go unnoticed, especially with the holidays coming up. (I know I said 'write' in my previous post, I shoulda specified email.;) )

At this point there's nothing to be lost with persistence. Be extra polite to the overworked admissions staff and see if you can get the Dean of Admission's ear. (I can't remember his name, check the website.) Have your speech/questions prepared so that you get in all that you want to say as concisely as possible. If you send an email, tell him you sill followup with a phone call in a day or two. Might help if he's expecting to hear from you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Theresa

Originally posted by theringworm

I appreciate your advice, I am emailing the appication committee a letter of what I done during this last year and why I like their medical school. I would love to speak to the dean (is it Dean Gunn?) but don't know how to get past the secretaries to be able to talk to him personally. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Originally posted by sallazar
I appreciate your advice, I am emailing the appication committee a letter of what I done during this last year and why I like their medical school. I would love to speak to the dean (is it Dean Gunn?) but don't know how to get past the secretaries to be able to talk to him personally. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

I did not get an interview the first yr I applied but did the 2nd time. I don't think there was any sigtnificant improvement in my application. The 1st time I called and kept getting told I had not been chosen for an interview. After waiting for a while I left a message for Dr. Gunn to call me. He did, but did not say much...something along the lines of "Don't forget to breathe."

Anyway, the second time I never bothered to call or write because I thought they'd written me off, but did, to my surprise, get an interview. Seeing the improvement you made, and the interviews you've gotten so far, I think you'll do well.

Talked to Dean Gunn today. He was not very friendly to say the least. I had talked to the secretary this morning asking to speak to him; she said she would have him give me a call. He called and left a msg on my phone. I called him back at my first opportunity, and he asked what I wanted. Explained to him that I interviewed there last year and really liked the school and would be very interested in interviewing again this year. He asked why I didn't get in last year and if I punched somebody in the nose during the interview. I explained that I tried to strengthen my application this year by gaining more clinical exposure in two different clincally related jobs one that I acquired while volunteering in the ER. I also mentioned that I retook the MCAT. He basically said" well I'm glad you liked our school, I have to go, goodbye." After all the hard work I've put in this last year, retaking the MCAT while working a full time job and volunteering and now working two clinical relevant jobs, it seemed like a slap in the face. So much for getting an interview at Houston.

sallazar, I'm so sorry you had such an unpleasant conversation with Dr. Gunn. :mad: It sucks to put yourself out there like that and then get that kind of reaction.

I think it was worth it anyway. You gave it your best shot. (Who knows, maybe he pulled up your file to be reviewed even though he wasn't very helpful on the phone.)

You've got interviews at TCOM, Tech, and UTSA, right? Time to focus on them! One way or another you are gonna be a doc, and that's what counts!

Theresa

Dude! That's WRONG! Just plain WRONG! What an *SS!!!

Any advice on who to or how to talk TCOM? I'm still waiting to hear from them...

GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO UT HOUSTON TODAY!!!!

Maybe the conversation with the Dean went better than I thought. I still can't believe it! And its on the same day that I had the interview last year--kind of ironic. Thanks for the advice everyone--I guess it pays off to be persistant.

hey sal,
congrats on the interview. im still waiting to hear. would you mind sharing your stats, when you were processed, and when your interview is? thanks and good luck

Mucho Congratulations, sallazar!!!!

:clap: :clap:

What date is your interview?

Congratulations, Sallazar! I did actually really like UT Houston when I went there. I'm sorry the Dean was not that warm when you called him, but it seems to have worked out in the end. :) It takes a lot of guts to do something like that, btw. (don't know if i could've done it. :) ) I'm sure you'll love the tmc and best of luck!

Originally posted by EvoDevo
Mucho Congratulations, sallazar!!!!

:clap: :clap:

What date is your interview?

12/12 Same day as last year. Only bad thing is since it is the week of finals, I can't stay with a student. I'm not complaining though, glad to have the invite.

sorry to ask again....could you share your stats and when you were processed. thanks.

Originally posted by sallazar
GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE TO UT HOUSTON TODAY!!!!

Maybe the conversation with the Dean went better than I thought. I still can't believe it! And its on the same day that I had the interview last year--kind of ironic. Thanks for the advice everyone--I guess it pays off to be persistant.
Congrats!!! That is so RIGHT!!!

Originally posted by TheresaW
I think it was worth it anyway. You gave it your best shot. (Who knows, maybe he pulled up your file to be reviewed even though he wasn't very helpful on the phone.)

Yaay! :clap: I stand by my assesment. He was just wondering who he should chew out for not offering the interview sooner. :laugh:

I got a similar flat reaction from one of my interviewers at UTH, so don't be put off by it.

Theresa

Originally posted by dookbloo
sorry to ask again....could you share your stats and when you were processed. thanks.

I was processed around 10/8

My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.45
MCAT: 30O
Lots of clinical work experience; 1 yr research but did not publish LOR's are probably so-so