***UT Memphis Class Of 2010 Official Thread!!!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow/future Memphians. Just wanted to start a new thread for us 2010'ers in the same vein as the class of 2009. I've been in Memphis for about 2 years now and, sadly enough, I haven't enjoyed much of downtown life (chalk it up to studying and working all the time :( ) But with my recent acceptance, I think I'll be painting the town red this summer... you know, catching up on everything I missed, checking out the hots spots, memorizing street names, stuff people would expect me to know from having lived here for a couple years right!?!? Yeah well, I'm definitely looking forward to getting this med school thing on the road come this August. UT is a great school with many opportunities all throughout the city for clinical exposure. Any future classmates, please post if you happen to come across this thread. Hopefully people will check it out as seats continue to get filled. Congrats on the acceptance and lookin forward to running this course with ya'll ;)

Members don't see this ad.

WOOOHOOO!!! Man, I know that I echo the feelings of many when I say that it's nice to know that I'm loved by my state school! I can't wait to get started this August. Congrats to all!

What's up everybody! Glad to see this thread started. I am also excited to be attending UT-Mem. Just outta curiosity.. how many out of state residents were accepted this year? I am one of the lucky few I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say Hi to my future classmates. Hope everybody is as excited as I am about starting at UT this August!!!!! Don't know about you guys, but I'm gonna drink myself stupid this summer!!!!

Congratulations everyone, welcome to Memphis. I remember how excited I was. Although, it seems like ages ago. I'll check in every once in a while if you guys have any questions. I'll give you my first words of wisdom. DO NOT OPEN A DAMN BOOK THIS SUMMER!!!! Believe me, everyone wants to get ahead in anatomy, but you really have no idea what the focus is until you get here. You'll have plenty of time to study once you're here. Congrats again :thumbup:

utcrew said:
Congratulations everyone, welcome to Memphis. I remember how excited I was. Although, it seems like ages ago. I'll check in every once in a while if you guys have any questions. I'll give you my first words of wisdom. DO NOT OPEN A DAMN BOOK THIS SUMMER!!!! Believe me, everyone wants to get ahead in anatomy, but you really have no idea what the focus is until you get here. You'll have plenty of time to study once you're here. Congrats again :thumbup:

Where is everyone?

I had an interview at UT this week (feb 21). For those who have already been accepted how long did it take for you to hear back from the admissions comittee? Since I did interview so late in the process does anyone know how many spots are still available, or if I still have a decent shot of getting in?

RobbingReality said:
I had an interview at UT this week (feb 21). For those who have already been accepted how long did it take for you to hear back from the admissions comittee? Since I did interview so late in the process does anyone know how many spots are still available, or if I still have a decent shot of getting in?
I think it took about 4 weeks for me to hear back, but I dont think it usually takes that long. My interview was REALLY early on, like the first week that they did interviews, and the adcom didnt even meet until 3 weeks after my interview. Im not exactly sure how long it would take if you had your interview in the middle of the process, but it shouldnt be long at all. I think nelson strother told us that the committee meets every friday, or maybe its every other friday, and they mail out decisions during the following week sometime. I had my interview on Oct 4, the committee met on Oct 21, and I got an email from Diane Harris on Nov 4 that i had been accepted. The actual letter came in the mail a couple days after that. Hope this helps, and good luck!

RobbingReality said:

Took about 2 weeks from the date of interview to get the e-mail acceptance. I don't how many spots are left, but anybody who gets an interview (assuming it wasn't a disaster) should have a fair shot of getting in. Good luck :luck:

Is it just me, or did anyone else completely lose all of their motivation to study and do well in your classes after you got your acceptance letter? Ive got a biochem test tomm, but i just cant seem to do anything productive now that i know im gonna go to med school. Makes college seem like a waste of time! Does anybody know what UT expects gradewise for your senior year? Can they un-accept you?

jlatta said:
Is it just me, or did anyone else completely lose all of their motivation to study and do well in your classes after you got your acceptance letter? Ive got a biochem test tomm, but i just cant seem to do anything productive now that i know im gonna go to med school. Makes college seem like a waste of time! Does anybody know what UT expects gradewise for your senior year? Can they un-accept you?

Mr. latta... how dare you not be motivated to ace one of Dr. Vance's tests? :laugh: But to answer your question, as long as you don't drop below the "C" range, I'm pretty sure UT won't disown you. I know what you mean though, senioritis combined with "already accepted" = one lazy undergrad. Not much longer to go after spring break though :thumbup:

WhatUpDoc! said:
Mr. latta... how dare you not be motivated to ace one of Dr. Vance's tests? :laugh: But to answer your question, as long as you don't drop below the "C" range, I'm pretty sure UT won't disown you. I know what you mean though, senioritis combined with "already accepted" = one lazy undergrad. Not much longer to go after spring break though :thumbup:

Lookee here Doc, just because i don't find all of this biochem bs as fascinating as the rest of you crazy people in there doesnt mean you need to be messin' with me! Yeah, I'm just gonna keep on telling myself that its only 6 more weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
jlatta said:
Lookee here Doc, just because i don't find all of this biochem bs as fascinating as the rest of you crazy people in there doesnt mean you need to be messin' with me! Yeah, I'm just gonna keep on telling myself that its only 6 more weeks!

My advice is to study the biochem even if it's boring. Believe me, MBOD as an M1 bites a lot of people in the ass because they either didn't take it in college or didn't care enough about it study hard. The number one thing that my classmates say is that they wish they would have paid more attention to biochem as an undergrad. The info comes at you so fast and in such a tremendous amount, you'll be glad that it at least looks familiar to you. Especially when you're studying for Gross and Phys.

utcrew said:
The number one thing that my classmates say is that they wish they would have paid more attention to biochem as an undergrad.

Oh yeah, that's definitely gonna be me. Last minute cram sessions leave me with a blank slate right after a test. I've been given tests back the next day in some classes and honestly couldn't remember anything on it. That's pretty bad :scared:

utcrew said:
My advice is to study the biochem even if it's boring. Believe me, MBOD as an M1 bites a lot of people in the ass because they either didn't take it in college or didn't care enough about it study hard. The number one thing that my classmates say is that they wish they would have paid more attention to biochem as an undergrad. The info comes at you so fast and in such a tremendous amount, you'll be glad that it at least looks familiar to you. Especially when you're studying for Gross and Phys.

utcrew,
Ive got this really cool job right now working as a scrub assistant in surgery at a hospital in memphis, and i was wondering if you think its possible to work 1st and 2nd year or not. I would just be working on saturday, ~8 hrs, so it shouldnt suck up just a whole lot of study time. I talked to dean strother about it the other day, and he kinda said that its really up to me as to whether or not i think i can handle it. Do you ever have classes or other obligations on saturday as a 1st or 2nd year? Its a really interesting job, it pays well, and i really like working there. Just wondering what you think about it.

jlatta said:
utcrew,
Ive got this really cool job right now working as a scrub assistant in surgery at a hospital in memphis, and i was wondering if you think its possible to work 1st and 2nd year or not. I would just be working on saturday, ~8 hrs, so it shouldnt suck up just a whole lot of study time. I talked to dean strother about it the other day, and he kinda said that its really up to me as to whether or not i think i can handle it. Do you ever have classes or other obligations on saturday as a 1st or 2nd year? Its a really interesting job, it pays well, and i really like working there. Just wondering what you think about it.

There are no obligations on the weekend your 1st and 2nd year. However, a lot of students (along with their anatomy group) get a tutor on either Saturday or Sunday for gross anatomy. You'll also look forward to the weekend to catch up on studying. But, it just depends how you learn to study. A few of my classmates study really hard the last week before exams and do good and others study day and night everyday. Most students that I talk to, plus myself, study around 4-5 hours/day and ~8-10 on Saturday and 2-3 on Sunday. Those numbers will increase as exams roll around. I thought I might work in a lab as a tech on the weekend, but I'm glad I didn't do it. Free time is hard to come by. If you're really set on the job, I would try it the first block and see how it works. You'll want to make sure that they are open minded to schedule changes. I imagine work will be the last thing on your mind the weekend before exam week.

utcrew said:
There are no obligations on the weekend your 1st and 2nd year. However, a lot of students (along with their anatomy group) get a tutor on either Saturday or Sunday for gross anatomy. You'll also look forward to the weekend to catch up on studying. But, it just depends how you learn to study. A few of my classmates study really hard the last week before exams and do good and others study day and night everyday. Most students that I talk to, plus myself, study around 4-5 hours/day and ~8-10 on Saturday and 2-3 on Sunday. Those numbers will increase as exams roll around. I thought I might work in a lab as a tech on the weekend, but I'm glad I didn't do it. Free time is hard to come by. If you're really set on the job, I would try it the first block and see how it works. You'll want to make sure that they are open minded to schedule changes. I imagine work will be the last thing on your mind the weekend before exam week.

I think I might suggest NOT working the first block, see how things go, get the free anatomy tutor, and then if first block really flows well...then try and pick up the job. I agree with UTcrew, free time is a precious, precious thing.

Hey guys, I'm debating between staying on campus or doing the off-campus mud island deal. On campus sounds appealing because of convenience in getting to classes/library/etc... But I've had horrible roommate experiences in the past and I'd kinda like my own pad to settle down in with minimal distractions. Does anyone have any reccomendations on the better option or finding a place to crash?

who is going for the minority meetings on the 7& 8th of april?

cool i will be the goofy looking dude

:laugh: :laugh: sleep deprived? from partying or working?

Hey there, fellow classmates.... Hope everyone is getting excited about next year!

tickled pink :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

WhatUpDoc! said:
Excited as a child that just got a Nintendo 64 for Christmas :D Click to see my happiness

Haha! Pretty hilarious. I remember having a similar reaction when I unveiled a Barbie dream house....

I wonder where the rest of our class is hiding out... maybe we'll see some more activity once the semester finishes up for everybody. I can't even focus on class anymore. I can't believe the whole undergrad journey is about to wrap up in three weeks!!! Now if I could just stop daydreaming about my first day in gross anatomy, I might be able to write this speech for tomorrow morning at 8 AM :eek:

does anyone know how many spots are left and when they are letting people know? I got put on hold in novemeber t=and got a letter that they hoped to let me know by april 7. They said that they sent a letter and not an email? also, this may sound like a weird question, but did your acceptance letter come in a thick or thin envelope thanks!!!

jmm323 said:
does anyone know how many spots are left and when they are letting people know? I got put on hold in novemeber t=and got a letter that they hoped to let me know by april 7. They said that they sent a letter and not an email? also, this may sound like a weird question, but did your acceptance letter come in a thick or thin envelope thanks!!!

I received an acceptance via e-mail with a rather thin envelope coming the following week. I would imagine that they notify everyone of acceptances this way, but I'm just guessing. Maybe, if you haven't heard anything by week-end, you could call the admissions office?

WhatUpDoc! said:
I wonder where the rest of our class is hiding out... maybe we'll see some more activity once the semester finishes up for everybody. I can't even focus on class anymore. I can't believe the whole undergrad journey is about to wrap up in three weeks!!! Now if I could just stop daydreaming about my first day in gross anatomy, I might be able to write this speech for tomorrow morning at 8 AM :eek:

I know what you mean! I'm graduating in 5 weeks and then its straight to Memphis. That is, assuming I finish my thesis in time.

Dixie06 said:
I received an acceptance via e-mail with a rather thin envelope coming the following week.

jmm323,

Same here. I was told that the last committee meeting was sceduled for this Friday, 7th. So you should probably be expecting a word back by the end of next week at the latest. Or you could just call sometime Friday afternoon as Dixie suggested :thumbup:

Dixie06 said:
I received an acceptance via e-mail with a rather thin envelope coming the following week. I would imagine that they notify everyone of acceptances this way, but I'm just guessing. Maybe, if you haven't heard anything by week-end, you could call the admissions office?

thanks for the response.. I was thinking of calling by the weekend too, do you think that would be being pushy? I'm jusst on edge because i've been waiting since november haha

good luck jmm, hope u get in :thumbup:

kdwuma said:
good luck jmm, hope u get in :thumbup:
Thanks ! Me too! does anyone know anything about being put on hold there? I am wondering if this equates to the waitlist. I was put on hold in november. Thanks for the input!

Whats up guys. Looks like I will also be calling memphis home for the next four years. Congrats to everyone!

hey, i meant to ask if anyone had heard about their financial aid package? If you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Financial Aid said they would try to get packages out by the end of this month. The normal time frame is anywhere from May - August, but they were trying to start early this year. We'll see... and congrats on the decision :thumbup:

hey doc how did you like the fish on minority day? saw you but did not want to bring up sdn :thumbup:

hope we get the financial aid packets before may 15th, from the way the financial aid people were talking that might not be the case, time will tell

Hey guys, I got my acceptance letter on Monday. I just wanted to say hey to everyone.

Dixie06 said:
I know what you mean! I'm graduating in 5 weeks and then its straight to Memphis. That is, assuming I finish my thesis in time.

I hear you Dixie, I defend on May 1st and I'm really getting killed trying to put together everything in time. Good luck to you!

CaptainDave said:
I hear you Dixie, I defend on May 1st and I'm really getting killed trying to put together everything in time. Good luck to you!

Congrats on the acceptance! I defend mine on May 4th.... its good to know someone else has to suffer through it as well. I keep telling myself "only a few more weeks!"

WhatUpDoc! said:
Welcome aboard Cap'n :thumbup: :D

thanks Doc. That's one heck of a burger you got there. So big you had to wear a helmet, eh? :laugh:

I meant to ask you guys this earlier, but forgot: Where is everyone from, and where did you go to school?

I'm from Elizabethton (near Johnson City for all you west TNers). Did my undergrad at UT-Knoxville, and am (slowly) finishing up a master's at Virginia Tech.

Oh, and Dixie, how in the world do you stay motivated? This writing is killing me. I already have my defense presentation done for a talk I had to give, and I just have to get the darn thing written and turned in.

CaptainDave said:
I meant to ask you guys this earlier, but forgot: Where is everyone from, and where did you go to school?

I'm from Elizabethton (near Johnson City for all you west TNers). Did my undergrad at UT-Knoxville, and am (slowly) finishing up a master's at Virginia Tech.

Oh, and Dixie, how in the world do you stay motivated? This writing is killing me. I already have my defense presentation done for a talk I had to give, and I just have to get the darn thing written and turned in.

VT huh? I did two years of undergrad there... didn't really accomplish much (failed a few classes, switched majors, twice, was in the Corps of Cadets :barf: ) I was still finding myself back then so I chalk it all up to immaturity. It's a great school, I just wish my mind was in the right place while I was attending. Oh well, now I'm finishing up my measly BS in Bio down here at good ol' Univ. of Memphis (I transferred down here when parents decided to up and move from Va Beach, VA to Bartlett, TN... military related). Not a bad school, but definitely not Tech. ;)

Yeah I'm an engineering major too, so it was a little bit of a bump up coming from UT. Not that UT isn't a great engineering school, just VT is pretty dang tough.

Sometimes I still feel like I'm finding myself ;)