UT Memphis Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veshy

Vinsanity!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for UT Memphis so I figured it was about time to start one. Anyone out there.......?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't see a thread for UT Memphis so I figured it was about time to start one. Anyone out there.......?

Yes sir... Anyone here about financial aid yet? Thinking about giving UT a call soon...

Nope not yet, but I got in off the waitlist a few days ago. Should be getting the big packet soon, so I'll just go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes sir... Anyone here about financial aid yet? Thinking about giving UT a call soon...
Withdrew from UT already, but when I called a few days ago, all they told me was sometime in May.

Congrats everyone -- hope you have an awesome four years!

I was told that you could call in and request a PDF copy of your fin aid packet. I still haven't gotten mine yet, though.

Are you all planning on going to the housing weekend June 1-3? I'll be there!

I was told that you could call in and request a PDF copy of your fin aid packet. I still haven't gotten mine yet, though.

Are you all planning on going to the housing weekend June 1-3? I'll be there!

Just called fin aid and they said that they were finishing up the soon-to-be M2's award letters and were about to start on ours. She told me to call back next Friday if I had not received anything by then.

I will definitely be going to the housing weekend since I am already living in Memphis. I won't be going through the actual housing search since I already have a place for next year.

I'll be starting in Memphis this summer as well. Hope to meet all of you at the housing weekend in June.

Yeah, planning on going to the housing weekend, but will have to cut the weekend short and leave Saturday afternoon for something with the family.

Hey guys! Thought I'd go ahead and join the official class thread, even though I'm not 100% sure I'm going to UT quite yet. I'm still on a few waitlists, but I've almost totally made up my mind for UT no matter what happens. If I haven't heard from anyone else within the next week or so, I'm going to go ahead and commit for sure!

I'm definitely planning on attending the housing weekend as well, but also might be skipping the actual housing part depending on my situation at that point - I'm in the area, so I'm going to do some looking prior to then, most likely. Can't wait to meet everyone! :)

I called UT before about off campus housing and finding a roommate and was told that they don’t have a list of other M1’s looking for roommates— that’s probably one of the reasons for the housing weekend. I’m thinking about Mud Island and was reading reviews of some of the apartment complexes there and some people said that the places fill up pretty fast.
I’m not from Memphis and was thinking about how much research I should do before the housing weekend—if I’d need to sign a lease soon, or when I get there, in order to get a place.
Are any of you looking for roommates too or know if and when things start to fill up?

I will be attending UT this year as well! If any of you have questions about mud island and the different appartment complexes, just post it, or PM me. I currently live on the island and love it! Be sure to make deposits soon, because the island fills quickly.

I found my apartment back at the end of March. Most waitlists were already filling up pretty fast back then. I'd say the sooner you came down here and started looking around, the better. Mud Island really is the best place to live because of the quality of the apartments and the proximity to campus. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me.

Hello there. I am a class of 2010er who is studying/procrastinating for exams next week. I used this site quite a bit before moving back to memphis to get in touch with my class. If anybody wants any advice/directions/warnings let me know. Enjoy your summer and if you do one thing, DON"T READ ANYTHING, NO SCHOOL WORK ALLOWED. I'm dead serious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a quick question about housing in the area if anyone is currently in Memphis or familiar with the area. I'm originally from Knoxville so I have no knowledge about the different areas around Memphis. My daughters are going to attend school in Cordova so I'm predominately looking in this area, but I've also seen apartments in my price range in Bartlett, but I don't know much about the area. Anyone have an idea about this area? Any help is appreciated.

Had a quick question about housing in the area if anyone is currently in Memphis or familiar with the area. I'm originally from Knoxville so I have no knowledge about the different areas around Memphis. My daughters are going to attend school in Cordova so I'm predominately looking in this area, but I've also seen apartments in my price range in Bartlett, but I don't know much about the area. Anyone have an idea about this area? Any help is appreciated.

cordova is much better than barlett in my opinion after having lived in memphis for the past 6 years of my life. stick with cordova. it's closer to stuff and prettier.

I was told the same thing kjmtthws said, and I didn't study. I think it's better not to study over the summer. Figuring out something that works is key when you start though.

If I gave kjmtthws one guess as to who I am after saying I probably have tried more study techniques since starting than anyone else in the class, with few working for me, I expect she'd peg me in 1 or 2 guesses. I never had to see the forest for the trees in academic related (pre-med or otherwise), so its been hard for me learning (or attempting to learn) how to pick important bits out from the ensuing mess.

Lectures aren't mandatory, some go and some don't. I've done both and have had mixed results. Some use class notes and some don't.

I would expect after our class and the new M3's finally talked the faculty into allowing podcasts that ya'll will have the same rights.

What the ramble boils down to is that the experience is a highly personalized sort of endeavor. You would do well to figure out what works for you (if you haven't don so already), and use your strongpoints in the coming year because you'll be damned if you don't need all the help you can get.

Living:

I think a lot of people live in Harbor Town. I don't, but I live in the downtown area right near there. It's a tradeoff, quiet and parking at Harbor Town for a different sort of vibe living downtown. Many live in student housing, and while I've never been, I've heard no complaints except for getting paired up with some people in different colleges you don't end up digging.

Midtown and the surrounding area is about as far East as I would go if given a choice. I wouldn't go too far south, or too far north, as in either case crime goes up somewhat.

Midtown is known for Cooper and Young area, which is excellent.

As per living in Cordova and Bartlett, do your very best to manage somewhere a bit closer to the school. I'm sure it will become more clear when you see the layout of the city, but commuting 25-45 minutes a day will be no fun- I know some people in our class that do just that, and I'm not sure how much they enjoy it. Those places are nice; it's just the distance...

Cripes, back to work for me. I'm around over the summer if people need advice about anything. My big sib was nonexistent early on, which may have contributed to me talking to so many different upperclass folk, so whatever help I can be to anyone- lemme know.

Has anyone heard back from the people doing the housing weekend--any updates or info on the students with whom we'll be staying?

Nope, no info yet. They just wanted my phone number so my host could contact me with directions later on.

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know that I just spoke with financial aid and they said to try back in 2-3 weeks if I hadn't heard. Apparently that's the new timeframe for M1's to get their letters. :( I guess I'm just going to have to find housing and hope the money works out! If anyone else hears anything, please let us know!

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know that I just spoke with financial aid and they said to try back in 2-3 weeks if I hadn't heard. Apparently that's the new timeframe for M1's to get their letters. :( I guess I'm just going to have to find housing and hope the money works out! If anyone else hears anything, please let us know!

I wonder if that only applies to people who were accepted recently or all M1s? I called early last week and was told to call back tomorrow if I hadn't heard anything yet. Guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow....

I wonder if that only applies to people who were accepted recently or all M1s? I called early last week and was told to call back tomorrow if I hadn't heard anything yet. Guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow....

She never took my name - just my school and year. They also told me last week that they were hoping to mail things this week, and apparently that didn't pan out... I hope you get better news than I did, though!

They told me next weekish too... and that they're finishing up with the soon to be M2's

we get our Fin Aid in the first week of class, right...? So no help for setting up the apartment

we get our Fin Aid in the first week of class, right...? So no help for setting up the apartment

I almost certain that is correct. I called fin aid back today with no luck. They told me to try again next Friday.

I almost certain that is correct. I called fin aid back today with no luck. They told me to try again next Friday.

Yep, we get our checks either during orientation or the first week. Definitely no help for the summer. Not sure what I'm going to do if I have to start my lease in June or July.... I'm sure something will work out though :) Hopefully financial aid will get things together soon - I read on some of last years threads that it was mid-June before people got their info.

Ok, went apartment hunting today and found the selection to be even tighter than I expected. I didn't search off Mud Island, but I can say that it's essentially booked, at least the 1 bedrooms. (And several places told me they had no vacancies at all) I got the last 1 bedroom available at Belle Harbour (formerly known as the Grove) prior to orientation (when I left today there was still one that will be available on August 15.) The only place I didn't contact or stop by was Riverset - I'd heard fairly negative reviews of it, and the one at Belle Harbour was going to be gone if I left for even a minute - they people who came in the door behind us wanted it too. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what I found. Not sure how the whole waiting list thing works at these places, or what availability is like off the island. Good luck! :)

If any of you are looking for a roomate, there is a list going to be compiled at the UT website-- under Admissions, then New Student Orientation
Plus, it looks as though some other orientation stuff has been updated

I was pumped when I came across this sxn for UTCOM. I will be attending in the fall. Was anyone at housing weekend? We may have met. Enjoy your summer!

I was there, and thought it was good.

I'll be on Mud Island next year.

I was there as well. Fun times. :)

Yep, also was at the housing weekend. Glad you're set up on the Island yeeeeeeeah, was good meeting you and everyone else last weekend.

Has anyone heard from financial aid yet? I called (again) this morning, and instead of just telling me to keep waiting, they actually looked up my file. Apparently I'm missing some form that was sent to my school address instead of home where I am now (although it should have been forwarded to me...) Anyway, just wanted to see if this has really set me back or if everyone else is still waiting, too.

Has anyone heard from financial aid yet? I called (again) this morning, and instead of just telling me to keep waiting, they actually looked up my file. Apparently I'm missing some form that was sent to my school address instead of home where I am now (although it should have been forwarded to me...) Anyway, just wanted to see if this has really set me back or if everyone else is still waiting, too.

I just called and they told me they were in the middle of processing it. She said my package will be mailed out either the end of this week or early next week.

Yep, also was at the housing weekend. Glad you're set up on the Island yeeeeeeeah, was good meeting you and everyone else last weekend.

Thanks Veshy-- it was nice meeting you too. I assume you'll be on the Island as well?

When I called a few weeks ago, I was told that I had to complete some survey before my fin aid would be processed. If that's what you have to do too, then we're in the same boat. It was supposed to be re-mailed to me, but I still haven't received it. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Well, I'll be heading back there in two weeks or so to sign on a place, so I'm not completely sure yet. I think I'm still hoping for downtown in a way if it's not too pricey, but I should know for sure at the end of the month.

Hey guys! So my financial aid package finally arrived (yea!) but now I have some questions that they can't seem to answer for me. I was just wondering how exactly the 'books and fees' portion of the budget is broken down. Is there money included in there for a new computer, or are we on our own for that? How much should we anticipate needing for books, and then for medical supplies? I figure they had to have worked all this out in order to make the budget, but no one seems to have any clue when I call financial aid. If anyone knows anything, please pass it on! :)

I spoke with the Fin Aid office mid way thru last week and they told me packages should be sent out any day to most students. I'm still waiting on mine though.

I got my award letter last Thursday. I asked a friend who just finished her first year about the books and supplies. She said that she only spent about $2500-$3000 of that, but she (and most people) didn't buy all of supplies that were suggested. She also said that one of the supplies included is a new computer, and to make sure you have a little money left to buy all the second year books since second year actually starts in april/may.

You guys are lucky, I'm 2010. Our financial aid was a fiasco, university wide. College of Medicine was PISSED at them.

Live on mud island, very practical, ten minutes to school. Wife and I are thinking about moving to mid-town, more our scene, more friends there, closer to bars. Have friends that live in Bartlet, East Memphis. Doable, long drive though. And you have no idea what Memphis driving is like. Apparantly, if you can get your car to run (no safety inspection in TN, but Shelby county may have one), that gives you the right to merge on to whatever road or interstate, and get in the left lane. I've know seen twice the most screwed up tow ever, one car pushing another, at 50 MPH. Bump draft is in Nascar, not on the streets people. Wife saw guy riding motorcycle with Kevlar flak helmet. No protection for wrecking, but offsets chance of getting shot, which may be a safe bet in south Memphis.

We should start a facebook group so we can all meet!

Also, where have you all found housing? I'm kinda late in the game for that part---I was trying to decide between Tulane and Memphis and Memphis it is! I'm really excited and can't wait for this fall! Anyone have any suggestions for what areas to live in, etc.?

Also, where have you all found housing? I'm kinda late in the game for that part---I was trying to decide between Tulane and Memphis and Memphis it is! I'm really excited and can't wait for this fall! Anyone have any suggestions for what areas to live in, etc.?

I'm going to be on Mud Island next year. I didn't go on one of the tours during the housing weekend, but drove around looking at apartments and duplexes. There are some pretty nice duplexes in Midtown, for a price that wouldn't be bad with a roommate. My search was somewhat limited. There are probably some other areas or pockets that are nice. I'm not from Memphis, so driving around was the best thing for me. I would suggest that as well if you aren't familiar with the city.

I'm going to be on Mud Island next year. I didn't go on one of the tours during the housing weekend, but drove around looking at apartments and duplexes. There are some pretty nice duplexes in Midtown, for a price that wouldn't be bad with a roommate. My search was somewhat limited. There are probably some other areas or pockets that are nice. I'm not from Memphis, so driving around was the best thing for me. I would suggest that as well if you aren't familiar with the city.

Thanks! I went today and signed a lease on an apartment on Mud Island in The Estates--the last apt complex on the Island. I love it!

Thanks! I went today and signed a lease on an apartment on Mud Island in The Estates--the last apt complex on the Island. I love it!

Good. Glad to hear that you got a place.

Hey guys--
Seems that a facebook group has already been started by some of the girls! The group is U of TN SOM--everyone join!

Hey, I am in the class of 2010 and here is a bit of advice about finding a place to stay. Most people don't look at the Memphis Flyer (pretty sure they have a website too, just google it) for housing listings, but I'm telling you its a great place to look with lots of houses and apartments for rent. Most of the places listed are in the Midtown/Downtown area; which I can't recommend enough.
Trust me when I say that you want to stay close to school. You may get urges to go to the anatomy lab at like 12:00 at night and you don't want to waste 30 minutes of your time just getting there. Your time is going to be very valuable and it will frustrate the **** out of you if you waste any of it.
Enjoy your summer and anybody can find me sitting poolside at the Estates at River Pointe; working on perfecting my margarita recipe.

More good news for anybody that is interested.

The class of 2009 got their scores back from step 1 of the boards and they killed it. The new curriculum that UT started a couple of years ago really prepares you for the boards (and step 1 is probably the most important test you will ever take in your life, it pretty much decides where and what kind of residency you can get). I talked to a bunch of the M3's at the Saucer last night and they were really happy and said that UT really prepared them well.

Hello everyone.

I'm going to be in in the Class of 2011, too. I started last fall, got sick, took a leave of absence, and now I'm ready to go for next fall. The M2 who posted earlier is right: don't study over the summer. However, you should think about how you are going to study more quickly when classes start. There is a lot of information you have to cover and there's no time to waste. Fortunately, there is the note system and podcasting of classes (audio recorded lectures with PowerPoint slides) so you can bypass class without reading a 1000 page textbook.

There is one book you really should by if you can find it: Schneider's Review of Medical Physiology (ISBN 0397584032). Dr. Schneider pulls a lot of his exam questions out of his own book. The problem is that the book is out of print. I got mine used through Amazon, but you can also look in other places. You might also want to pick up a good, used copy Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy while Amazon is still selling them at a discount. You could wait until school starts to get a new one free through AMSA for free, but last year you had to get a new credit card to get it.

See you this fall!

Hey guys--

Has anyone bought a computer yet? I know they suggest waiting until orientation to get one but that seems a little last minute. I'm wanting a lightweight, thin laptop--any suggestions? Anyone know of any good deals, etc?