UT-Memphis Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillpillman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official forum for anyone who has been accepted to University of Tennessee College of Medicine UT Health Science Center in Memphis.

[Please only respond if you are still considering UT-Memphis.]

The number one discussion for Memphis is of course housing. I am looking in Midtown and Mud Island. Any thoughts on the matter? Any potential roommates out there?

Also, I have a girlfriend following me to school (marriage potentially on the horizon) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent jobs in the area. She is a general business major with experience in corporate communications and marketing.

Congrats to all those accepted to med schools, Class of 2013!

Members don't see this ad.

I too will be attending UT, and I am looking in both areas to live in as well. I am currently married and my wife is also looking for work. Congrats on your acceptance. Happy Holiday!!!

hey! i will be attending as well! i'm currently living in memphis so if you have any questions about housing i'd be happy to answer. i went to college in memphis and have lived in most every area of memphis proper (midtown, east memphis, mud island) so i'm very familiar with the area. currently, i live in a complex on the island and it's been my favorite area to live. i love the small-town feel, the riverwalk, and being close to downtown/UT. midtown has a unique charm but after living in an older house i decided something with adequate insulation prevails...

as for employment, most places have a hiring freeze (one of my roommates is in business and he's had little luck finding a job). however, if you start early you should find something! st jude, fed ex, and morgan keegan (sp?) are all big places to look but there are many smaller places for business degrees.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live in the Harbor Town area or further north?

I'm not sure what you mean by further north... I live in the Estates at River Pointe which is north of Harbortown proper but it's a short walk to the stores/shops~maybe a mile.

I can't say for certain, but I am strongly considering going to memphis. The only time I was there was for my interview, and I am wondering if anyone knows about the topography of 'mud island'. Is it prone to flooding? Also, any other good areas to look into, this is the only one I have heard people talk about.

I can't say for certain, but I am strongly considering going to memphis. The only time I was there was for my interview, and I am wondering if anyone knows about the topography of 'mud island'. Is it prone to flooding? Also, any other good areas to look into, this is the only one I have heard people talk about.

We had tons of rain this past spring and there was some flooding on the island. The river rose over the river walk but never made it over the hill to the road/houses/apartment complexes so there wasn't any damage to houses/apartments. You couldn't go for run by the river but that was the only problem. Many houses were destroyed on the Arkansas side however. Overall, I wouldn't be too worried about flooding; last spring wasn't normal.

As far as housing goes are some of the places (the ones that aren't linked can be seen off rent.com/apartments.com):

Mud Island: Riverset (it's the cheapest but I've heard mixed things, http://www.riversetapts.com/), Arbors at Harbor Town (http://www.gables.com/gablesliving/community.aspx?Region=10&CommunityId=20), Belle Harbour (most expensive, nice), Estates at River Pointe (I live here and love it! Frankly, it's got everything Belle Harbour has but is considerably cheaper), and Island Park (I think that's the name)...

Cooper Young-mostly houses for rent, check out craiglist for an idea of rent/etc. It's a young, funky area.

Mid-Town complexes: There are a ton but here are a few... Bristol (2 blocks away from the school, http://www.thebristolonunion.com/), the Gilmore (a friend lived there and she loved it, http://thegilmoreapartments.com/floorplans.php).

Downtown-lots of new apartments/condos but they're typically a little pricer than living in midtown or on the island. Fielder square (really nice inside, next to the baseball field), Peabody Square.

East Memphis-genereally quieter than the other areas (either older people or young families). Check out craigslist.

Hey dally, thanks for the info, I just saw it. Maybe we will be class mates. anyhow thanks again.

as far as housing goes......

mud island is probably the most expensive place to rent in memphis. I lived in the estates in a 1 bedroom, 1 bath and it was approx $950 a month (water was free....). I do believe Riverset is considerably cheaper, but they're also the crappiest apartments on the island. A lot of students choose to live on the island due to its proximity to UT-Med and downtown bars.

Mid-town is nice and a little cheaper, but also older. You can find apartments to rent for considerably cheaper than on the island, but they're also considerably sketchier. Houses in mid-town would probably be relatively cheap with roommates.

If you wanted to consider living a little further east you can find houses/apartments that are even still cheaper. I moved into a really nice 2 bedroom house with a rent of 1050 a month and nearly quadruple the space of the apartment I lived in on the island. Check out the East Buntyn area (which is right by the University of Memphis.....off of central avenue). You can get to UT in about 10-15 minutes (10 if you drive faster than the 35mph speed limit on union, 15 if you drive it) which isn't that much longer than it is from the island. The island is closer, but there isn't really a good way to get to the school......you have to go through a lot of side streets or through downtown....its about 10 minutes if you take jefferson.

The best advice I think I could give though is not to rent anywhere but the island without thoroughly scouting out the neighborhood where you're looking. Whether a house/apartment is in a good or bad location can change from block to block. If this bothers you I'd suggest living on the island.

Just some advice from someone who went to school/lived in memphis. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

So anybody who has been accepted for 2013, I saw this note on the school's site the other day saying that we should get an e-mail as soon as the school receives our confirmation of acceptance forms, including some kind of school id number and school e-mail. I got an e-mail saying that my confirmation form had been received, but it didn't include anything about the other stuff. Do you think they will send that stuff out later, that was my guess? Just wondering if anyone knew anything.

So anybody who has been accepted for 2013, I saw this note on the school's site the other day saying that we should get an e-mail as soon as the school receives our confirmation of acceptance forms, including some kind of school id number and school e-mail. I got an e-mail saying that my confirmation form had been received, but it didn't include anything about the other stuff. Do you think they will send that stuff out later, that was my guess? Just wondering if anyone knew anything.

I haven't gotten anything saying my ID number or e-mail... I would assume that they would wait until closer to school starts to give us those things as a number of people will eventually go somewhere else. Maybe it's different than college but I didn't get those things until the summer.

So, did you guys who were accepted get an e-mail notification of your acceptance prior to getting your snail mail letter, or was it the other way around? They said they mailed their decision yesterday (which means it may be in my mail box today!!), but I figure if they didn't tell me I was accepted already via e-mail, it's probably not good news.

I got an email saying an acceptance letter had been mailed.

Members don't see this ad :)

I emailed Diane Harris about this a few weeks ago. She said that she would email us with our ID info around May..ish.

Great, thanks a lot.

Hey guys! Just wondering if anyone knew if or when UT may be interviewing for scholarships?...I'm really torn between a couple of schools right now and some financial aide would definitely help make my decision easier!!..not that i'm expecting any scholarship whatsoever anyway, but it would definitely be nice haha! Thanks for any help!

I think that they do the interviewing for the scholarship thing later, like in the spring. I think their might be something about it in the acceptance packet, but I'm not sure. At least you have two schools to be torn between, that's a nice problem to have.

Hey all,

First...Congratulations on your acceptance to UT (and med school in general)!! I am an M1 at UT and so far I have enjoyed my time in school. It is very busy, especially first semester when you have Gross Anatomy w/ lab, but there is fun that comes with the work. There are also great opportunities at UT, especially clinically.

Second...I live in my house in Harbor Town - the very first part of Mud Island - and I am looking for a male medical student to rent a bedroom starting next fall (when school starts up again). Rent would be in the 500 - 600/month range or so. I have not decided the exact cost yet. If you are at all interested or have any other questions considering school, memphis, etc etc please PM me! Enjoy the rest of your time before med school.

Hey all,
I am an M3 here in Memphis and I thought I would check this thing out.. I used it alot in the summer before school started..Quick bit of advice for those out of town people; check out the memphis flyer (just google it), its the local alternative newspaper. It has a really good ad section that my wife and I have found some really good leads in the past.. Congrats to all who make it here...

I am on call tonight, wasting time in the call room.. Just got to do a lumbar puncture and deliver a baby,, not too many med students in the country get to do that kind of stuff..

I went ahead and created a "group" on facebook so we can start putting faces with names. I am very excited about getting started this August and I look forward to meeting everyone. Congrats to all who have been accepted!

Click on the following link and join up!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=74236771728

Join the facebook group! I actually met Camelton just the other day and I am really excited about heading on to medical school. It's one thing to take the next step in our "careers" but it's whole different thing to meet the cool people you are going to do it with!

Just seeking info about ETSU Quillen COM and UT Memphis. Any advice from people entering emergency medicine about pro's and con's of the two schools?

Just seeking info about ETSU Quillen COM and UT Memphis. Any advice from people entering emergency medicine about pro's and con's of the two schools?

Since UT is located in an urban environment, chances are that UT would provide a wider variety of experiences. I am sure ETSU sees its fair share of trauma; however, Memphis is a level 1 trauma center and serves a larger population. On the flip sidie, Quillen probably has "nicer" facilities than UT.

dhenley14, I am actually in your same position (I think). I guess you got into both schools and are trying to decide where to go. Well, I will say that Quillen has clinicals at two level one trauma centers, both of which tend to get all the bad cases from surrounding areas, since there aren't many hospitals. So you will see some "good"-for you, anyway- cases. I worked in one of these centers, so most of the stuff you see is chest pain, diabetes, and non-emergency stuff, but you do see a good number of bad car accidents and other stuff that's just plain weird (fingers lost with a hacksaw???). I would imagine there would be more "good" cases in Memphis, but who knows. I have talked to some physicians who have said that if you go to memphis you will be very very busy, but will learn a lot.

Sorry that was so long, but I am in the same boat, so if anyone has anything to say about the two schools concerning pathology...that would be great!

I am also considering EM and after working at the Med in the shock trauma dept. I can safely say you will see most everything. I have no idea what ETSU is like but the Med is severely understaffed (bad for patients, good for students) so not only will you see everything you'll get loads of hands-on experience.

Anyone know about scholarships at UT-Memphis? How many are offered and of how much?

Here's a link to UTM scholarship information. Notifications for the full tuition merit scholarship interviews have been sent out.

http://medicine.utmem.edu/StudentAffairs/index.php?doc=inc/scholarships.html#top

No offense to NSDQ, but that site sucks. I had already checked it out but it does not talk in the most important terms when it comes to scholarships: money. It does some great name dropping of those who made some funds possible and few who won in the past, but it fails to mention if the amounts that one can win. Is the Rona Jefferson Scholarships like half tuition and the Sherrill Scholarship the only full one? That is what I am guessing just by the number of awards but that website gives no clue if those assumptions are true. Any student in the school now have any clue to the real story about UT-Memphis scholarships?

Do we know a timetable for when our packages will be sent?

No offense to NSDQ, but that site sucks. I had already checked it out but it does not talk in the most important terms when it comes to scholarships: money. It does some great name dropping of those who made some funds possible and few who won in the past, but it fails to mention if the amounts that one can win. Is the Rona Jefferson Scholarships like half tuition and the Sherrill Scholarship the only full one? That is what I am guessing just by the number of awards but that website gives no clue if those assumptions are true. Any student in the school now have any clue to the real story about UT-Memphis scholarships?

They heard me... The website has been updated with this piece of info:

COLLEGE OF MEDICINE SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
The College of Medicine Admissions Committee invites the top fifteen (15) accepted applicants [for that entering class] to return to the UT campus for additional interviews as a finalist. We are especially fortunate to have up to five [5] merit scholarships available annually, amounting to $20,000 each for four (4)years. These scholarships are currently valued at more than $80,000 each and the Admissions Committee will select five (5) recipients. If selected to compete, an invitation will be emailed to the top sixteen accepted applicants in late February to return to our campus [in late March] to compete for one of the College of Medicine's full in-state tuition and fees scholarships. Selection is based on academic achievement, leadership ability, interviews and outstanding personal qualities. No application is necessary to be considered.

Here is a new website for those people still looking for a place to stay.

www.utmemoffcampus.com

The M4's just had match day last week and they did really well, with a huge number of people getting their first or second choice for residencies...Get excited!

And because they just had match day, there will be a ton of people leaving town and gettin rid of houses/apartments so this site should get some more listings in the very near future..

Since UT is located in an urban environment, chances are that UT would provide a wider variety of experiences. I am sure ETSU sees its fair share of trauma; however, Memphis is a level 1 trauma center and serves a larger population. On the flip sidie, Quillen probably has "nicer" facilities than UT.

There is no comparing ETSU with UT. You will see 10X the pathology at UT and the facilities are not bad either. With UT you have 3 cities to choose from for \clinical rotations (Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga). In Memphis you will have several facilities to rotate through which will run the gamut from private (Baptist, Methodist), Community (The MED), or government (the VA).

If you are 100% sure you want to go into family medicine and you have ties to Johnson City, then ETSU may be for you, otherwise, UTHSC is the way to go.

If anyone has any questions about UT or Memphis, send me a PM and I'll help if I can.

Does anybody know anything about Phi Chi? I stayed there for my interview, and it seemed to be within a reasonable distance from campus. Anybody know somebody in Phi Chi or hear anything about the people in it?

Hey guys! I'm a rising M3 (female) at UT and am looking for a roommate to share a 2BR/2.5BA house on Mud Island for the fall. I posted an add on the off campus housing site listed above, but I figured I'd throw it out here as well in case anyone was interested. Here are the details...

• Rent: $725/month + split utilities
• 1580 square feet
• 10 minutes from campus/hospitals
• Off the main road on a quiet side street
• 2 car garage + off-street guest parking
• Master down, 2nd BR and study up for extra privacy
• Large kitchen with granite countertops
• Spacious living room with fireplace and vaulted ceilings
• Fully furnished, except 2nd bedroom
• Freshly painted inside and out
• New carpet and flooring throughout
• Washer and dryer provided
• Monitored security system
• Pets accepted with approval by landlord (1 cat presently in the home)
• Available no later than mid-June
• Photos available upon request!

Just send me a PM with your email if you're interested in more information/pictures, and I'll get back to you. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
For those who don't scan through everything on the website...

INFORMATION FROM MELBURN PARK, Ph.D., COURSE DIRECTOR
Gross Anatomy Orientation for New Students: We afford you the opportunity to pick your own lab partners for M-1 Gross Anatomy. If in the few hours that you have been medical students you have already made a few friends whom you think will make good lab partners or if you know classmates from before matriculating here, then this is the chance to form a group with them. During the new student orientation period there will be a Dissection Table sign-up sheet that will be located on the bulletin board outside the entrance to Room A102 of the General Education Building [GEB]. Lab table assignments must be made by Wednesday morning, August 12th, which is when we move over to the Gross Anatomy Laboratory to check out osteology sets and the tools that the college provides.
Each dissection team will need to have one padlock by August 17th. [This is for the lab equipment locker that the team shares]

----------------------------------------------
So I guess we better make friends fast! Signing up for lab groups will be an interesting task that early on...

For those who don't scan through everything on the website...

INFORMATION FROM MELBURN PARK, Ph.D., COURSE DIRECTOR

Gross Anatomy Orientation for New Students: We afford you the opportunity to pick your own lab partners for M-1 Gross Anatomy. If in the few hours that you have been medical students you have already made a few friends whom you think will make good lab partners or if you know classmates from before matriculating here, then this is the chance to form a group with them. During the new student orientation period there will be a Dissection Table sign-up sheet that will be located on the bulletin board outside the entrance to Room A102 of the General Education Building [GEB]. Lab table assignments must be made by Wednesday morning, August 12th, which is when we move over to the Gross Anatomy Laboratory to check out osteology sets and the tools that the college provides.

Each dissection team will need to have one padlock by August 17th. [This is for the lab equipment locker that the team shares]

----------------------------------------------
So I guess we better make friends fast! Signing up for lab groups will be an interesting task that early on...

as all the fears from elementary school about being the only kid in class without a partner come flooding back...

Anyone know when we can expect to hear from Fin-Aid after submitting the FAFSA?

Hey guys! I just got in off of the waitlist, so I'll be seeing you in August!

Also, the dean said they are expanding the class size, so it looks like there will be 165 of us rather than 150. Wow. haha

Congrats VNE! Do you know what your position was on the waitlist or did they even tell you?

I also heard that the 15 extra seats are going to be taken from the waitlist. Have you heard anything about this? Again, Congrats!

Anyone know when we can expect to hear from Fin-Aid after submitting the FAFSA?

This is the information emailed to me from financial aid earlier this week.

"I wish I knew when we will be sending out award letters but my supervisors are controlling the awarding process and I have not been told as of yet when we will begin mailing out award letters. I have asked but no answer has been given to me as of yet. I hope that we begin soon and you will get your award letter as soon as we start mailing them out."

Congrats VNE! Do you know what your position was on the waitlist or did they even tell you?

I also heard that the 15 extra seats are going to be taken from the waitlist. Have you heard anything about this? Again, Congrats!

Yep =) I was one of the fifteen people given a spot after the class was expanded (which officially happened yesterday, apparently). I've been living in Memphis and working at the school for a few months now, so it'll be nice to move one building over into the GEB, I'm there almost everyday as it is anyways, haha.

Hey guys! I just got in off of the waitlist, so I'll be seeing you in August!

Also, the dean said they are expanding the class size, so it looks like there will be 165 of us rather than 150. Wow. haha

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing you Aug. 10th!

I also emailed financial aid and they said soon, possibly this week.

Hey guys welcome to memphis, I always enjoy seeing the newbys come in

So has anybody heard anything from financial aid, like getting an award letter or something? I don't remember what they call it...I kind of want to get it in the next month or so. Also, does anyone have any experience with using FA to pay rent and stuff? Where I'm at now I just said I wanted an apartment, paid the first month & then pay them every new month and no one asks questions; but apparently in Memphis they want "income verification". Do you just show them something from the school?

So has anybody heard anything from financial aid, like getting an award letter or something? I don't remember what they call it...I kind of want to get it in the next month or so. Also, does anyone have any experience with using FA to pay rent and stuff? Where I'm at now I just said I wanted an apartment, paid the first month & then pay them every new month and no one asks questions; but apparently in Memphis they want "income verification". Do you just show them something from the school?

I contacted the FA office and they said the letters would be going out soon (whatever that means). As far as rent goes, you can show them your loan information but you might have to get someone to co-sign for you if you haven't rented an apartment in your name before. In college, my friends had to get their parents to co-sign unless they had rented before. Every apartment complex is different though.