UT-Memphis Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I told a friend of mine that I would place this condo up here..

If people are still looking for a place to live next year,, Here is a really good opportunity to live downtown (this is the cheapest that I have heard for a condo in the South Main Art District in a long time).. for those of you that don't know, South Main, is a really cool place to live (its mostly old warehouses that have been converted into cool condos - think the meat-packing district in New York) and rents are usually quite a bit higher than this.. It includes utilities, basic cable, and two parking spaces, and there is an awesome view of the river from the rooftop patio (good place to have a party after a test block)

email me with questions

[email protected]

Here is the link for the place-->

http://maar.mlxchange.com/Pub/EmailView.asp?r=262827477&s=MAR&t=MAR

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed FA and they said that award letters were being mailed at the end of last week. I am not sure if this is a process that will take them a week to complete or if they all made it out the door by last Friday. So...we should be receiving them in the next few days (hopefully).

I got my FA letter today. Hopefully you all will get yours soon:)

Members don't see this ad :)
have you found a place yet, i dont know much about memphis, want to take a trip down on monday, cld you pls help me with the recommended safe areas to live, i m so terrified.:mad:

have you found a place yet, i dont know much about memphis, want to take a trip down on monday, cld you pls help me with the recommended safe areas to live, i m so terrified.:mad:

The South Bluffs apartments are great. Right next to the South Main art district, and only a 5 minute drive to the school (I do it every morning, very quick and easy drive).

Give them a look and see if you like them =) The staff are very, very cool.

Also, if you do end up liking them, PM me and I'll give you me name for a referral.

Memphis gets a lot of flack about being dangerous but most of the violence/crimes are in a few areas. Just stay out of those areas and you'll be fine. Downtown is incredibly safe but it tends to be more expensive. Mud Island is also really safe (I live there and there have been a couple of break-ins but they usually occur when people don't lock their doors). I would walk around the river without hesitating by myself at night. Midtown is generally safe (although I wouldn't walk around there at night by myself). If you want the name of some apartment complexes just PM me. If you're interested in a house check out craigslist! Good luck!

Who is going to the housing weekend?

I can't go. I saw the e-mail and I got excited, until I remembered I am getting married that weekend... Bummer. Actually, I probably shouldn't say that... I mean, I get to go to Panama, so that probably beats a baseball game and apartment hunting.

Hey--

Congratulations to everyone starting in the Fall. I'm an M3 here at UT. I've gotten to meet a few of you at the housing weekend.

I've seen a few posts about Emergency Medicine - something I'm very interested in- and any questions are welcome. We also have an Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG) that you all are welcome to join and where you can get more info from some of the older students who have done away rotations or who are in the process of applying to EM residencies.

I also wanted to encourage you all to keep asking questions, especially to the M2's above you. They were most recently where you are and will have a lot of good advice for you (although the M3's and M4's can be helpful too).
During orientation, I believe, you all should get paired up with 2 "big sibs" or "peer mentors" to whom you can turn for advice, although you're certainly not limited to those two.

Enjoy the summer-

Congrats guys!!! I remember starting the class of 2010 thread 3 years back (can't believe it's already been that long), so I remember just how exciting a time it was.

The time really flies by so enjoy the rest of the summer and get prepared for some great memories to be had in this exhilarating profession we call medicine :D

So I posted this in the main allo forum, but I figured I'd try here to see if anyone has specific info... I am wondering how long after school starts until we can expect our Fin-Aid money? I am wondering about paying for insurance, books, etc. before aid money gets disbursed, since it usually took about two weeks after classes started in undergrad to get money. After paying to move down here and apartment deposits and all that I am pretty much broke.

So I posted this in the main allo forum, but I figured I'd try here to see if anyone has specific info... I am wondering how long after school starts until we can expect our Fin-Aid money? I am wondering about paying for insurance, books, etc. before aid money gets disbursed, since it usually took about two weeks after classes started in undergrad to get money. After paying to move down here and apartment deposits and all that I am pretty much broke.

Financial Aid told me about a month ago that we can expect our checks two weeks after the first day of classes (Aug 17). I've heard from M2s and M3s that the middle of September is more likely, as the Financial Aid office leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to efficiency.

Hey, I just found this thread and set up my SDN account today. Congratulations everyone in the UT-Memphis Class of 2013! I look forward to meeting all of you during orientation week.

I just got into town Saturday and am pretty much just hanging around like a bum. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to get together!

Oh, and would anyone be interested in carpooling to class? I don't have a car myself, but would be willing to provide money for gas, parking, etc. I live pretty close to campus, but would rather not walk (you know, safety and all :) ) Good opportunity to pick up some extra cash if you're interested.

Hey I agree. I have just been hanging out being bored. I would love to get together with anyone who is in town already.

Great to hear from someone! I'm Jessica, by the way, nice to meet you.

If anybody is still looking for a roommate, I have an open room in a new home!

It's a little ways from campus but it's really safe & quiet (15 min). I wouldn't mind showing the house anytime next week. I made a little site with pictures and other info. www.wix.com/bjpatel/House

I know it's a little late in the game so I would be willing to negotiate on rent.

Thanks for looking and see you guys/gals during NSO week