UT memphis interview HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmm323

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed at UT memphis? I have my interview nov. 9 and I am really nervous! If you have interviewed, what questions were asked and do you remember who your interviewers were?also, are you TN resident??
THanks! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

jmm323 said:
Has anyone interviewed at UT memphis? I have my interview nov. 9 and I am really nervous! If you have interviewed, what questions were asked and do you remember who your interviewers were?also, are you TN resident??
THanks! :eek:

Don't be too nervous. The interview will be much more laid back and personable than you think. I'm currently an M1 at UT Memphis. I interviewed with Dr. Park in Memphis (the Gross Anatomy course director) and a family physician in Knoxville. One of your interviewers will focus on your personality. He/She will not have your academic record or MCAT scores in front of them and they are not suppose to look at it before the interview. However, they will have your personal statement and will draw most questions from it. Expect some sort of ethical question to pop up. For example, I was asked what I would do if a patient came to me wanting RU486 (the morning after pill) and I believed the pill would harm them more than help.

The other interviewer focuses mainly on grades and MCAT scores. So, be prepared to talk about certain classes etc. The one thing that caught me by surprise in the "academic" interview was Dr. Park asked me what I thought the first year of med-school would be like. I believe I said something along the lines that it would challenging. He said that I should expect the worse and that it really is hell (I can tell you that he wasn't far off).

Don't worry, getting the interview is the hardest part I believe. As long as you can handle yourself half way decent, you'll be fine.

More than likely, you'll be able to tour the anatomy lab while we're in there the morning of the 9th. We have a neck dissection scheduled that morning, so you'll be able to see some cool stuff. However, a few days ago the interviewees were able to see us do a midsaggital section where we basically sawed the persons leg off with a portion of their abdomen. They've been letting the interviewees come all the way in the dissecting lab right next to the tables were we're working. I'm sure it's pretty cool for you all. I wasn't able to do that in my interview.

Good Luck

P.S You'll love Nelson Strother. He'll probably be the first to greet you when you arive. He's a great person and very friendly.