UT-San Antonio Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marathon chick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I got another interview at UT-San Antonio program. Does anyone have any information-Good or Bad about this program. I know it is ran by the EMG guru Dr. Dimitui. I would be totally grateful for any information-It would help me make a choice to interview there or not. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought UTHSCSA was a solid program when I interviewed there. Plus, they pay for your airfare, hotel room, and take you out to dinner. Residents from the program got to do a lot of EMGs and Interventional Pain Procedures. The other benefit is that you get to start PM&R during your Internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
San Antonio enjoys a great reputation for PM&R in Texas. I didn't interview there---I kind of wish that I did. One minor criticism that I heard, and Digable would know the current situation better than me, is that some residents felt that the departmental leadership was too focused on improving the program's national reputation and research infrastructure and letting resident education slip. That was couple of years ago and things might be different now.

Well,
Actually I haven't felt that way at all in the 1 1/2 yrs I've been here. I've actually brought up to our program director why our program has never been ranked in that US News and World Report...and he told me he had no idea...
It does tend to make people think we aren't as good a program
as some of the others...but then again...I guess that also keeps our application numbers low and our secretaries happy. It seems our "outside the circle" reputation comes from "word of mouth". Most people in the field of rehab respect our program as well as our faculty.
As far as research is concerned, yes, we do have a mandatory research requirement for graduation. But it's hardly high level stress...and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. One of our attendings always seem to have some research ideas floating around that can be done with moderate effort. It's no U. of Washington here, I'll you that.

DC