knaackville

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Anesthesia residency at UT Southwestern, or really any Anesthesiology residencies in Texas or south of the "Mason/Dixon Line."

UTSouthwestern

1K Member
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
Status
While it's been a while since I've been there, I do like the hiring of Dr. Martin Giesecke as vice chair. Very good hire by Dr. Whitten and crew.

You can learn a little about the program at
WWW.UTSWAnesthesia.com

yes2drugs

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2007
Texas
Status
Non-Student
While it's been a while since I've been there, I do like the hiring of Dr. Martin Giesecke as vice chair. Very good hire by Dr. Whitten and crew.

You can learn a little about the program at
WWW.UTSWAnesthesia.com
The docs that have supervised me from there are smart and have good skills even though some have been right out of training.
Dr. Giesecke is one of them. He was great to work with and very involved in his cases without being controlling.

ckatennis

10+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've actually got an externship in Anesthesia set up this semester. With the amount of residents they have, do you think I would get lost in the mix? Thanks.

Bertelman

Maverick!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Had a Cooch
Status
Attending Physician
I've actually got an externship in Anesthesia set up this semester. With the amount of residents they have, do you think I would get lost in the mix? Thanks.

Friend did a rotation there a few years ago. He was so lost in the mix, sometimes he never arrived at the hospital.

Not that I recommend that.

Seriously, though, you can get a little lost anywhere. If you want to stand out, you need to take the effort to do so.

yes2drugs

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2007
Texas
Status
Non-Student
Introduce yourself to people and let them know what your objectives are. WHat you want to do and achieve that day. Don't be shy.

yes2drugs

10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2007
Texas
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for the advice!
Yesterday on call we had the MS3 intubating. Annoyed the surgeon as it took a little longer, but hey, gotta learn sometimes. She was on a surgery rotation. I frequently go up to the MS3 and ask them if they want to tube the patient. Then I or the doc walk em through it.

itwasalladream

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
The chair at my home program was pretty positive about most programs, and fairly cautionary about this one. Had something to do with getting a new chair (or maybe vice chair?), and the outcome/organization being uncertain. Don't take it as fact, but something to consider.

shaz8901

7+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Anyone have any thoughts about this place. Previous searches said "stay away from this place" and that "this place is in upheaval." What is the situation currently? is this place a good place to train? Is it still considered to be a workhorse program which doesn't emphasize teaching. Any thoughts? Anyone?

lazylikeapanda

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Stability: Dr. Whitten has been the chairman now for the past year. People within the department seem pretty happy, there aren't rumors of people trying to jump ship. Though I can't say much about this since I'm a CA 1

Education:
The department has the lofty goal of having everyone score above the 50th percentile on their ITE's. To achieve this there has been a significant revamping of the didactics that was started last year. "Topic of the day" was started in which everyone gets a daily txt page about something about anesthesia i.e local anesthetics and side effects, we're suppose to look it up or talk about it w/ our attns or med students. There's a monthly reading schedule that is tailored towards our categorical interns, CA 1's, and 2and 3s. This year we're suppose to be getting weekly quizzes on our reading assignments via email. At Parkland, there are afternoon lectures every monday and morning lectures tuesday/thursday. We also get practice ITE questions via email as well.

For the interns, June is Vapor Camp. The interns spend the morning in the OR with the CA 1/2/3's learning how to machine check, set up a room, starting IV's, and intubating. The rest of the day is spent in lecture. There is two days dedicated solely to airway skills; practice using mac/miller blades, glidescope, fiberoptic scopes, LMAs etc. Then we practice on cadavers...which I personally think was god awful.

Personally, I can do w/o the topic of the day and assigned reading. I like picking up a text book and reading it from cover to cover then doing practice questions to reinforce what I read. Otherwise, the lecture series have been relevant and worthwhile.

Hours: The hours can be long and I don't think that anyone has gone over 80 hrs. I bumped 70 hrs my first month, part of it may be because everyone is slower in July and sometimes my case would finish at 3:15 so there was no point having someone relieve me to go do pre-ops. The boardrunners try their best to get residents out by 3pm and when we end up staying later they making it up to us by assigning us interesting cases, a PACU day, a reading day, or food.

On call, we're there for 24hrs and then bounce. During the week day calls we're assigned cases however the chiefs always makes sure we get a few hours of down time in the afternoon to sleep and eat. Weekend calls are hit or miss at Parkland, some days are busy and other days you do 2-3 cases for the entire day.

Over all there's time to study, pursue hobbies, or spend time w/ family. I've been pretty happy here for the past year and two months.

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone have any comments on the critical care fellowship? It looks good online but that doesn't mean much. Really miss home and ready to go back. I guess I could tolerate a lot for just a year though.

Sep 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Any new info on this program?
I really wanted to like this program. It didn't work out that way. I am a person that really tries to get a feel for the culture of a place, and I didn't get a good feeling about the culture. In full disclosure, I worked at a UTSW affiliated facility before medical school, and that facility had a fairly toxic and punitive culture. Not sure if I came to the interview with prejudice, but my actual interviews nailed the coffin. Really left me with a disappointed feeling at the end of the day.

All that said, it's a high volume program at a respected institution. No doubt they produce clinically and academically talented anesthesiologists. Dallas job market has really tightened up, so training here might be an in to the market...or you could end up with connections and no job to be had in the area.

All this is just one dude's experience, so keep your ears and eyes open for other opinions. Good luck with the interview process.