Quantcast

UT Southwestern Revisit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So 39 of us finally got some information regarding the 2nd interview for UT Southwestern. I'm dedicating this thread to discussion of the options for the various days.

Also, perhaps we can discuss a few questions such as why there were only 39 people emailed.

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So UT Southwestern hosts a second interview? Why don't they just whittle the list down and pick who they want? Because I can't see how they will have 39 students in their first year class. Well, they have the money.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nuel said:
So UT Southwestern hosts a second interview? Why don't they just whittle the list down and pick who they want? Because I can't see how they will have 39 students in their first year class. Well, they have the money.

They do wittle down the list. Only about 10% or less of who have a first interview get a second interview. UT Southwestern starts interviewing applicants in early September and keeps doing so until early January.

Although its a little nerve racking that you have to wait after the second interview to learn about if you are accepted or not, I am really glad they have a second interview. The revisit actually serves more for convincing the applicants to attend UT Southwestern. They do formally interview you again just to make sure that you are what they are looking for, but the fact that you were invited to come again means that they are very interested in you. The revisit consists of things like wine tasting trips, "night life", motor speedway visits, etc. On this trip, they are basically putting down a lot of money for us to come there.

Additionally, it seems that on this revisit, UT Southwestern is allowing significant others to come which helps a lot since significant other (wife / husband, fiance, girlfriend / boyfriend) will most likely need to move with you.

The UT Southwestern class is approximately 15-16 students (8 funded by MSTP / NIGMS, 8 funded from private sources (Ross Perot? and others)). They need to accept approximately 35 students to actually get a class of 15-16 students who will come to the school, which is why it is perplexing that only 39 students were emailed about the interview.

shortyganoush

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hawkeey said:
They do wittle down the list. Only about 10% or less of who have a first interview get a second interview. UT Southwestern starts interviewing applicants in early September and keeps doing so until early January.

The UT Southwestern class is approximately 15-16 students (8 funded by MSTP / NIGMS, 8 funded from private sources (Ross Perot? and others)). They need to accept approximately 35 students to actually get a class of 15-16 students who will come to the school, which is why it is perplexing that only 39 students were emailed about the interview.

I'm pretty sure Dennis told us that they were first interviewing ~100, then narrowing that down to ~40-50 for the second interview, and then accepting half that number for the class of 15-16. I'm pretty sure part of the second interview process is to figure out who exactly really wants to attend.

Also, I heard a rumor that Ross Perot would be at the banquet on friday night. Does anyone know if this is true?

MrMunkily

Rogue One
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My host told me pretty much straight out that Ross Perot comes to the banquet each year. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

As for why only email 39, it's possible that some people had to withdraw their apps, and they haven't yet decided who to invite into those interview slots.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MrMunkily said:
My host told me pretty much straight out that Ross Perot comes to the banquet each year. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him there.

As for why only email 39, it's possible that some people had to withdraw their apps, and they haven't yet decided who to invite into those interview slots.

Well 39 actually is not too far away from 50. I know some people who have withdrawn their applications due to acceptances elsewhere. The ony thing that I get from the number is that I have an increased chance of being accepted than I previously estimated.

Anyways, the weekend seems like it is going to be quite fun eventhough it will be a little nerve racking.

What kind of activities are people thinking of?

Wine tasting sounds interesting, but I really do not like to drink too much while under the microscope.

Malibu speed zone also seems like an interesting trip. Do we get to ride the dragsters?

I'm curious about the Ft. Worth trip because I hear that its culturally different from Dallas.

The zoo and aquarium seem a little mundane compared to the others.

I'm still trying to process the significant other clause. It would be nice to bring my my gilfriend to see Dallas, especially since she would probably be following me there a few months after I move (should I be accepted). I was planning on it anyways, but after my initial excitement I realized having her there could be distracting. It would also prevent me from socializing as much...

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
shortyganoush said:
I'm pretty sure Dennis told us that they were first interviewing ~100, then narrowing that down to ~40-50 for the second interview, and then accepting half that number for the class of 15-16. I'm pretty sure part of the second interview process is to figure out who exactly really wants to attend.

Also, I heard a rumor that Ross Perot would be at the banquet on friday night. Does anyone know if this is true?

I remember the numbers a little differently, but that's approximately correct.

How many people need to be accepted by the school in order for them to get a class of 15-16? You need to accept maybe 24 - 30 people.

How many of the 39 people want to matriculate? How many would rather go elsewhere?

shortyganoush

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hawkeey said:
Wine tasting sounds interesting, but I really do not like to drink too much while under the microscope.

Malibu speed zone also seems like an interesting trip. Do we get to ride the dragsters?

I'm curious about the Ft. Worth trip because I hear that its culturally different from Dallas.

The zoo and aquarium seem a little mundane compared to the others.

I'm still trying to process the significant other clause. It would be nice to bring my my gilfriend to see Dallas, especially since she would probably be following me there a few months after I move (should I be accepted). I was planning on it anyways, but after my initial excitement I realized having her there could be distracting. It would also prevent me from socializing as much...

Yeah I'm also interested in wine tasing cause uptown Dallas seemed like a nice area to tour and Speed Zone cause it sounds pretty fun.

I'm probably bringing my boyfriend for similar reasons. I didn't bring him to my interview at Denver to not be distracted. But that was sad when other people brought their SO's since the school putting everyone in single rooms for the weekend to encourage us to stay and ski.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
shortyganoush said:
Yeah I'm also interested in wine tasing cause uptown Dallas seemed like a nice area to tour and Speed Zone cause it sounds pretty fun.

I'm probably bringing my boyfriend for similar reasons. I didn't bring him to my interview at Denver to not be distracted. But that was sad when other people brought their SO's since the school putting everyone in single rooms for the weekend to encourage us to stay and ski.

Oh geez. Now I'm feeling a bit of peer pressure to bring my girlfriend.

I think I would be more comfortable with it if we already knew that we were accepted. My main reservation is that my girlfriend might affect the interview in some unknown way - my parents feel strongly about this; however, I really would like to show her where I would like to go.

I would also like to socialize. Especially if admitted, 15 of the people that I will meet at this interview will be my classmates.

neoserenity333

foxy fox mccloud
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hawkeey said:
Oh geez. Now I'm feeling a bit of peer pressure to bring my girlfriend.

I think I would be more comfortable with it if we already knew that we were accepted. My main reservation is that my girlfriend might affect the interview in some unknown way - my parents feel strongly about this; however, I really would like to show her where I would like to go.

I would also like to socialize. Especially if admitted, 15 of the people that I will meet at this interview will be my classmates.

i'm bringing my bf...i think the applicants can socialize plenty thurs night + friday all day. then on saturday, everyone can join the party! ;)

shortyganoush

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking about the whole SO situation, has anyone heard from Robin lately about whether those who bring SO's will get single rooms? She emailed me over a week ago and told me she'd get back to me when she knew more, but I'm not sure if I want to bug her about it.

neoserenity333

foxy fox mccloud
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
shortyganoush said:
Speaking about the whole SO situation, has anyone heard from Robin lately about whether those who bring SO's will get single rooms? She emailed me over a week ago and told me she'd get back to me when she knew more, but I'm not sure if I want to bug her about it.

you should be hearing from her soon (i just heard from her about the details of the trip), but then again, I did bug her for a little while. i usually just email her my questions/concerns and she gets back to me promptly. And yes, I'm pretty sure people w/ SO's get a single room.

srcsh2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has Robin asked for faculty who interest us yet? I remember her asking us to think about faculty we would like to speak with, but I never saw a request to go ahead and send them to her. I want to make sure that I haven't missed anything here...

shortyganoush

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
srcsh2 said:
Has Robin asked for faculty who interest us yet? I remember her asking us to think about faculty we would like to speak with, but I never saw a request to go ahead and send them to her. I want to make sure that I haven't missed anything here...

I don't think she asked for them yet, but I think the letter I received might have had a deadline. However, I think Robins doing a lot of things at once, and might not have gotten to it yet. I sent her my list towards the begining of January, and it's probably not a bad idea to just go ahead and email her one.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
shortyganoush said:

Yes, I think she said that people bringing SO's would get single rooms. Here is a quote from her January 10th email:

Robin Downing said:
I also want to point out regarding hotel rooms that, due to the limited
amount of space the hotel has to offer us for the weekend and our finals
interview budget, we need to place each applicant with a roommate for
the weekend (unless you are bringing a spouse/SO, which we will work
around)."

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually writing this from the hotel, but the weekend is basically over.

Despite being very, very tired and quite satiated with the incredible amount of food, I had a good time in Dallas. I have to say that I am very impressed with my fellow applicants to the school; so kudos to everyone who came. We should hear shortly regarding the final cut, but it seems that everyone who really wants to come to Dallas should be able to do so. Good luck to everyone!

neoserenity333

foxy fox mccloud
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks, you too! it was good to finally meet you :) let's keep in touch about where everyone ends up.

MrMunkily

Rogue One
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was a very fun weekend - I hope they realized how much I liked the place :)

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, be on notice... it seems that phone calls for UT Southwestern are going out! I hope you guys get a call; I just did.

finley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all the calls went out today? if they don't accept you how are they letting you know?

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
finley said:
Does anyone know if all the calls went out today? if they don't accept you how are they letting you know?

No, we do not know if all the calls did not go out today. I would not worry too much if you have not received a call yet. It takes a while to call 35+ people. What I would do with the information is make sure that your phone can be called. I would also be on the outlook for an email asking you to call him back.

For right now, do NOT panic. Remain calm. It will be fine.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The actual letters of acceptance. While I received the phone call from Dennis, I have not received the physical letter. Has anyone received the actual letter yet? I was told by email that mine was sent on Monday Feb. 20th, 2006 as opposed to when I was called last week. Is anyone else experiencing this?

ChyLn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nope, I haven't either. Don't worry about it man, just chill out :p

srcsh2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received the actual letter of acceptance yesterday, so they're definitely on the move.

hawkeey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
srcsh2 said:
I received the actual letter of acceptance yesterday, so they're definitely on the move.

Me too. This is probably the one I am going to accept, but now what do I do with the others. They still want to wine and dine me more, but I've got class to attend. Sigh.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.