UT Southwestern SOM vs UNC SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grizzley98

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping that I could get some advice on choosing which medical school to attend. I have been accepted to two medical schools: UT Southwestern and UNC, and I need help figuring out which I will attend.

Some background information: Current Texas resident, I attended East Carolina University (ECU) for my undergrad and was a student athlete on full scholarship. I have no current scholarships for either school, however I am receiving financial aid for both. UTSW is significantly cheaper tuition wise and I have family all in Texas. I have connections in NC due to attending ECU. Plus, I can apply for NC residency after my 1st year of medical school at UNC and then go on to pay instate tuition. I want to be a surgeon and I am interested in Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and Cardiology. I am a very hard working student and believe I could excel in either's curriculum.

Is UNC more prestigious than UTSW?

Does it really matter where I attend medical school, in terms of finding a good residency program?

Should I choose my medical school based on the area I want to settle in?

Should I attend the school that is known more for surgery or the field that I am interested in?

I understand medical school is very difficult, should I attend the medical school that i am closer to my support system and family?

Should I be more focused on attending the medical school with less debt because both schools or around the same rankings, in Research & Surgery?

Does the prestige of a school matter more now because Step 1 is pass/fail?

I just want to make sure that I am choosing the best school for me and making the best decision for my future. Any kind of advice or answer to my questions would be extremely appreciated! I am having a really hard time deciding on where to go.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go to UTSW in your situation. Both are great schools but since you are from Texas I think it makes for a fairly easy decision. Cheaper, family ties. I think UTSW is probably the best or one of the best of the UT's.

I agree with above, both schools are very good but UTSW is much cheaper. I don't think you'll go wrong giving yourself less debt (and thus being more open to additional options in your career down the road).

If you're interested in general surgery, you should go to UTSW. It has an amazing, top tier surgery program.

Even if not, UTSW is the move here. Both are highly regarded schools, but UTSW is cheaper for you.