UT Southwestern vs UTHSC - Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newsnsareapain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

first of all, forgive me if i'm violating unspoken forum etiquette by posting this thread here (ie a repeat, in the wrong place, etc). i don't use forums much. :p

basically, i'm having a hard time deciding which school to put as my #1 for match, and i was hoping someone is willing to share their thoughts.

details below -->
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5973119#post5973119

if you guys get bored over winter break, please feel free to share your 2 cents :]

thanks in advance, and good luck to everyone applying this year!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,

first of all, forgive me if i'm violating unspoken forum etiquette by posting this thread here (ie a repeat, in the wrong place, etc). i don't use forums much. :p

i'm kind of torn in regards to which school to put as my #1 choice for match, and i guess i wanted some other people's perspectives. i've received a pre-match offer from UTSW, but honestly i don't know much about it because i didn't make it out to the day-before event or stay after my interviews. and as far as Houston goes, i can't remember anything from that day except for this one ridiculous question that one of my interviewers gave me.

sooo if any of you don't mind sharing your personal opinion on the pros and cons of UTSW and/or UTHSC-H, i would greatly appreciate it :D i'm looking for anything that is of interest to anyone, including academics, social life, clubs, living/parking benefits, residency preferences, etc etc.

thanks in advance!

Go to southwestern, and I'll take your houston spot :D

Members don't see this ad :)
After looking at your link, and considering you have quite a bit of time to decide, I strongly suggest you set up second look visits at each. Then you would at least have a foundation from which to more accurately judge the advice given on here. My two cents.

Hmm... ignore the fact that UTSW is a top-ranked school because it plays no part in your actual education (what you'll be studying and what not).

I'd pick they school which you know you'll be happy at.

Or if you want my REAL opinion pick UTH because I want UTSW. :laugh:

Hmm... ignore the fact that UTSW is a top-ranked school because it plays no part in your actual education (what you'll be studying and what not).

I'd pick they school which you know you'll be happy at.

Or if you want my REAL opinion pick UTH because I want UTSW. :laugh:

Ranking has everything to do with your actual education. If you haven't already noticed what you'll be studying is the same at EVERY SCHOOL... so can't really distinguish based on that. Even the little "differences" that schools profess are kind of BS when you start first year. Pick Southwestern. It's a better school by far... even though I'm sure you liked UT Houston when you interviewed and felt at home, there would have to be a spouse in Houston or something of that nature to get someone to pick a school down the ranking totem pole.

Ranking has everything to do with your actual education. If you haven't already noticed what you'll be studying is the same at EVERY SCHOOL... so can't really distinguish based on that. Even the little "differences" that schools profess are kind of BS when you start first year. Pick Southwestern. It's a better school by far... even though I'm sure you liked UT Houston when you interviewed and felt at home, there would have to be a spouse in Houston or something of that nature to get someone to pick a school down the ranking totem pole.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I doubt the kids at UTH feel they're getting shortchanged...and they sure seem happy for people getting an inferior education. I myself put UTSW 3rd...and I really don't ever think I'll regret it.

I did research at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital(Right across from UT-H) and MD Anderson. The Texas medical center is a great place to learn(some 7 flagship hospitals). You have sleh for heart disease, texas childrens, Methodist, Hermann Hospital, Ben Taub, etc etc. Cons:horrible parking and traffic.

I would go for UTSW. At UTH you are likely to be overshadowed by the Baylor COM students for who a lot of the great hospitals are actually designated

I would go for UTSW. At UTH you are likely to be overshadowed by the Baylor COM students for who a lot of the great hospitals are actually designated
UTH and Baylor both have multiple awesome hospitals within and outside the med center. There's plenty of room for all of us. At UTH, we have Hermann, MD Anderson, Methodist (Baylor kids might be doing rotations there too, not sure), St. Joe's, LBJ (one of the county hospitals), etc etc. So...no one has to worry about being "overshadowed."

myKuduSlewaZulu said:
I'd have to respectfully disagree. I doubt the kids at UTH feel they're getting shortchanged...and they sure seem happy for people getting an inferior education.
Ok, maybe I'm bad at detecting sarcasm, but just in case you were being serious...I think you're confusing "overall prestige of a medical school" with "quality of education." It's a common misconception, because this can be somewhat true with high school and possibly undergraduate education. Basically, you learn the same medicine wherever you go. It's not like at school ranked #100 you don't learn how beta-blockers work, or at school #1 they teach you some secret cure for pityriasis rosea. You learn the same things, use the same textbooks, do the same variety of rotations. Every school has different professors-- I can't speak for other schools, but alot of our profs were incredible and really put in extra effort to write kick-ass syllabi, give engaging lectures, and be there to answer questions (I once called a phys professor the evening before a test with a question, and he actually called back and talked for like 20 minutes).

In short, choose whichever school suits you best. Cost, location, and general atmosphere are important. Prestige can be a factor in residency selection...but I hear that 3rd year grades, step 1 scores, AOA status, and research are higher up on what program directors are looking for. As a med student, you have ultimate control over all of those things.

UTH and Baylor both have multiple awesome hospitals within and outside the med center. There's plenty of room for all of us. At UTH, we have Hermann, MD Anderson, Methodist (Baylor kids might be doing rotations there too, not sure), St. Joe's, LBJ (one of the county hospitals), etc etc. So...no one has to worry about being "overshadowed."

Ok, maybe I'm bad at detecting sarcasm, but just in case you were being serious...I think you're confusing "overall prestige of a medical school" with "quality of education." It's a common misconception, because this can be somewhat true with high school and possibly undergraduate education. Basically, you learn the same medicine wherever you go. It's not like at school ranked #100 you don't learn how beta-blockers work, or at school #1 they teach you some secret cure for pityriasis rosea. You learn the same things, use the same textbooks, do the same variety of rotations. Every school has different professors-- I can't speak for other schools, but alot of our profs were incredible and really put in extra effort to write kick-ass syllabi, give engaging lectures, and be there to answer questions (I once called a phys professor the evening before a test with a question, and he actually called back and talked for like 20 minutes).

In short, choose whichever school suits you best. Cost, location, and general atmosphere are important. Prestige can be a factor in residency selection...but I hear that 3rd year grades, step 1 scores, AOA status, and research are higher up on what program directors are looking for. As a med student, you have ultimate control over all of those things.

Lol...I was being sarcastic. Sorry if I wasn't clear:). I was trying to point out that you guys DON'T get an inferior education, and that atmosphere IS important...:).

Lol...I was being sarcastic. Sorry if I wasn't clear:). I was trying to point out that you guys DON'T get an inferior education, and that atmosphere IS important...:).
Ah. My apologies. Best of luck!

Part of your post... I'm not so sure I agree with since you're tooting your own school above all others (not bad, but maybe not best for this guy/girl?)

As for UTH vs. UTSW, if you have to ask something like that, then it's not a simple "X is better than Y and that's it". UTH has TMC. UTSW is more well-known. However, if you pick a school that doesn't click with you, then your performance will suffer and no one here is going to say that a "better" school might make up for a bad Step 1, simple as that.

Whatever you choose, make sure you have no regrets about it!