UT Southwestern Watilist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisa123

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many students are placed on the alternate list at UTSW and how many are usually pulled off? Especially for out of staters? Anyone else in this position? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Lisa123--
I'm on that list with ya. I'm in at ut-houston though, so I am in very good shape. my wife and I are going to set some date that WE won't wait beyond since we need to find her a job and us a house (hopefully). I'm also waitlisted at A&M, but I think I might be inclined to remain with Houston over A&M despite my earlier rankings.

Anyway, not to ignore your question...I have no clue how many make it off of their list. I would guess that of any Texas state school, SW would have the most movement assuming that folks that get in Baylor would also be great candidates for SW. I've heard that this SW-Baylor situation is what sets in motion the biggest movement of students off lists at other schools, via a trickle-down effect. Best of luck to you.

Early next week I'll be withdrawing an acceptance from UTSW. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also Wait-listed at UTSW (Matched to UT-Houston). I did some research and found a few numbers. Last year at UTSW
Applied: 2,704
Interviewed: 678
Accepted: 377
Matriculated: 200 (US News)

Assuming this years data will be similar and also knowing that they matched 315 students on February first, one can arrive at the following conclusions. 377-315 = 62 people pulled from the wait list which is 31% of the class.
Another interesting piece of information is that this year 398 applicants ranked UTSW as there first Texas choice and 102 people chose as there second choice (I found this info on another SDN thread). If one assumes that about 1/2 of the people who ranked UTSW 2nd matched there (I think that is a very conservative estimate) there are 398+52=450 students gunning for a spot. So if UTSW gives 377 acceptances we have a 377/450*100 = 83.7% chance of receiving an acceptance. Those are pretty good odds I would say. But maybe I am overly optimistic.

DAVE2002

I would check those numbers again. The only way to apply to utsw is through TMDSAS (centralized application of Texas) and that Interview number you quoted is more than the numbers of TMDSAS applicants. I think they interview a little less than 1k per cycle.

Hobartpaver--

Sent you email. Did you get it?

Wanted to bump this up. I'm also on the out-of-state waitlist at Southwestern. Has anyone heard anything yet?

Thanks

hey,

anyone got any news on UT - Southwestern wait list movement??

anyone know when they usually start letting people in?

any info'd be helpful.

thanx,

AA

i just got a letter from sw saying that im in the 1st quarter of the alternate list. do i have good chances and does anyone know exactly how many people are on the waitlist?

Originally posted by Sina
i just got a letter from sw saying that im in the 1st quarter of the alternate list. do i have good chances and does anyone know exactly how many people are on the waitlist?

I thought you were going to UT-Galveston since you didn't like UT-Southwestern at all?

I had a friend who is a MS1, and saw her when I went to MS0 day at UTSW, and she said she knows a couple of people who got in off the waitlists, so good luck.

Originally posted by Gleevec
I thought you were going to UT-Galveston since you didn't like UT-Southwestern at all?

i never said i didnt like utsw. i just said i thought utmb would be a better fit for me. however, if i get in im going to have a hard time picking. i actually kinda hope i dont get in so there wont be a choice. :confused:

Originally posted by Sina
sina,
when did you get your letter?

Originally posted by nykka3
sina,
when did you get your letter?

i was in colorado till this last saturday, but i think my mom said i got it last week. u can check if u were on the waitlist online, but i think the letter only said what quarter you were in