SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

UT Southwestern

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by sluox, Jul 25, 2002.

1. sluox

sluox Physician 10+ Year Member

Jan 4, 2002
    I'm wondering if anybody can tell me anything about their program? I didn't apply at all to their program because they are on the atrocious texas application system. do you think it'd be worth it??

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2002
    cali
    if u think its atrocious, y would u apply?

what's so bad about the texas system?

4. jot

jot

i didn't apply cause of the tmdas - laziness to the max. its an excellent school though - very strong in cell and developmental bio. some excellent faculty

5. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8 Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Mar 25, 2002
    My roommate just matriculated in their program. If you have any questions, I can pass any to him. He's doing C. elegans related research [real big there].

Jason

6. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I have had at least 3 individuals (all PIs) in the past month advise me to apply there. They have a very strong program. I know very little about the whole TMSDAS (?) application, if anyone has any insight that would be great. I know the Texas system works off a match for regular MD admissions, what about MSTP? I can't imagine it would be done as a match...

I think it would be worth it to apply, although I second jots laziness standpoint! I do not want to fill out any more applications.

7. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Banned Banned

Jul 12, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I applied through the Texas match for regular MD but not for MD/PhD. I didnt apply there because they dont have biomedical engineering and didnt match my research interests. But they have 3 or 4 Nobel laureates I think, and the research they do have seems to be pretty strong.

You have to fill out the TMDSAS common primary application, and then fill out MD/PhD applications along with medical school secondaries at each program.

If you apply MD/PhD, you dont go thru the match process. I think all the Texas MD/PhD programs use rolling admissions. If you are not accepted into any MD/PhD programs, then you enter the regular Texas match as an MD-only applicant.

Their financial package is pretty good, I think its even better than WashU stipend, but not sure what the cost of living adjustment would be between St Louis and Dallas.