1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

UT Southwestern

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by sluox, Jul 25, 2002.

1. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm wondering if anybody can tell me anything about their program? I didn't apply at all to their program because they are on the atrocious texas application system. do you think it'd be worth it??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

if u think its atrocious, y would u apply?

what's so bad about the texas system?

4. jot

jot

i didn't apply cause of the tmdas - laziness to the max. its an excellent school though - very strong in cell and developmental bio. some excellent faculty

5. Doctor&Geek

Doctor&Geek 25 > 5 / 15 < 8
    Physician PhD Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    My roommate just matriculated in their program. If you have any questions, I can pass any to him. He's doing C. elegans related research [real big there].

Jason

6. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have had at least 3 individuals (all PIs) in the past month advise me to apply there. They have a very strong program. I know very little about the whole TMSDAS (?) application, if anyone has any insight that would be great. I know the Texas system works off a match for regular MD admissions, what about MSTP? I can't imagine it would be done as a match...

I think it would be worth it to apply, although I second jots laziness standpoint! I do not want to fill out any more applications.

7. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Membership Revoked
    Removed

I applied through the Texas match for regular MD but not for MD/PhD. I didnt apply there because they dont have biomedical engineering and didnt match my research interests. But they have 3 or 4 Nobel laureates I think, and the research they do have seems to be pretty strong.

You have to fill out the TMDSAS common primary application, and then fill out MD/PhD applications along with medical school secondaries at each program.

If you apply MD/PhD, you dont go thru the match process. I think all the Texas MD/PhD programs use rolling admissions. If you are not accepted into any MD/PhD programs, then you enter the regular Texas match as an MD-only applicant.

Their financial package is pretty good, I think its even better than WashU stipend, but not sure what the cost of living adjustment would be between St Louis and Dallas.