Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Utah AZCOM'ers for 2006

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Hawk, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't want to exclude any of those accepted to AZCOM for the class of 2006, but I just wanted to find out who or how many of those accepted happen to live close by in Utah. Congrats to all those accepted, I will be there this fall. Put a shout out in even if you aren't from Utah, I would like to start getting to know whomever is going to be there this fall.

2. Emil Erickson

Emil Erickson Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats Hawk,
    I'm assuming that Utah will have good representation at AZCOM. A couple of other SDN 'regulars' are from UTAH and I think they are
    likewise heading to the valley of the sun. When did you find out that you were accepted??
    Where you from? I'm from O-town.
    Look forward to meeting you and the rest of my future classmates at AZCOM!!!
    ;)

3. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Emil for the congrats. I found out middle of December, I just put my deposit in. I am living in Highland right now. I found out in one of my classes the other day that 3 others were going to AZCOM, so I think there will be a good showing, I just wanted to see how many. Have you looked into a place to live yet? Let me know. :p

4. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

I am off for the desert this summer as well. I am really looking forward to the next few years working with AZCOM and all those who will be enjoying the ride as well. Utah is my place of residence, but I am looking forward to the change. I got my acceptance in November, and am just waiting now.

MAXIMUS

HAWK...you are a strange one, my friend.

5. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

this is a great post!!! i have been so excited about azcom- it's good to see so many from around here going as well. I live in downtown salt lake- corner of west/north temple-- during the olympics i need a special pass to go home!!. When i interviewed 8 of the 12 were from Utah! Maximus was one of them :) I think my wife and i are going to live in the on-campus apartments. We still don't know if it is out of convenience or cost- they just felt right. How about anyone else?? The idea has been thrown around before but what do you think of trying to get together sometime before we move down??

6. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I will start at AZCOM in the fall......I can't wait! I hope I can maintain this excitement for the next eight months! Incidentally, I am from Texas.

7. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

tcom- the more the merrier! i'm more worried about keeping the exitement 3 weeks into our first semester :) !! right now being excited seems pretty easy! What are you doing from now till then??

8. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

AZCOM is going to ROCK! Does everyone have an idea of what they want to practice, or are you anxiously awaiting your rotations?? Personally, I am waiting for the rotations, and trying to keep an open mind. I have spent mosre time with family practice and ortho thusfar, but am excited to see more.

Hawk, you are the coolest.

9. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

just giving a shout out to the Utah crew. It seems like there is a good size group. Looking forward to next fall and meeting you all.

Later

10. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

Sweet, I am happy to see all the repsonses. It doesn't really matter if you are from Utah, just give a shout out from where you are. I want to get an idea of all my future compatriots. Jhug, sounds like a great idea, getting together, we'll have to mull that around. Anyone finding places to live, I am also checking out the air force hpsp. Is anyone else looking at that? Just looking for pros and cons. I think in the end it all balances out. I don't know, I guess I will just have to experience. Well, we are up to 6 different people that are in this thread. Keep 'em coming. I hope I am as excited about this when I am in the middle of the first semester. Later.

11. dctrben

dctrben Member
    7+ Year Member

Hawk,

I am in AZ (not going to AZCOM though) and am applying for the Air Force Scholarship. From what I understand, AZCOM is VERY friendly to military scholarship recipients. Just thought you might be interested in that.

Ben

12. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

13. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

I am looking into the apartments surrounding the campus, although I was quite impressed by the on campus housing.

I was very impressed with the attitude of the students and faculty during my visit there. The area is nice, and the facilities are awesome. Truly we are going to have a good time while we LEARN A TON!!!

It is going be good to get to know everyone. We have to keep up the reputation. Jhug, we all should get together.

Anyone else doing the AZCOM thing? holler on our little forum, it doesn't matter if you are from Utah or not.

14. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

my wife and i are leaning toward the on-campus thing- i liked the intranet with the school and being so close to everything. I, along with maximus, loved the attitude and confidence of the students-- 100% pass rates is, well, perfect! :) I really have an interest in surgery- and love having the mayo clinic just down the street!! But like all of you am open and excited for our rotations to see how i like/dread different things. TCOM06, i know a DO oncolgist down in AZ-- he wrote my letter of rec.- we should get together with him and make some contacts :D As far as getting together- where do you all live? i'm right downtown in SL but also have a house in Spanish Fork- we could meet at one of them??!!

15. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'll more than likely be attending AZCOM, but I'm still waiting to hear about a few other schools (I hate how slow the process can be!). I'm from Tucson and will be living off campus in Glendale because I will be bringing my dog with me (my stepdad has decided not to keep her while I am gone :( ) I'm not totally sure what I want to specialize in, but I'm leaning toward orthopaedic surgery... or neurology... or ob/gyn... or... just about everything I come into contact with.

You guys seem really nice ;) The people I interviewed with (October 10) were all also really nice people and I would have been glad to go to school with any of them. I can't wait for school to start!

16. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

kaydra-- didn't a big hospital just close in tuscon?? What other schools are you looking at/waiting to hear from?

17. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

18. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

19. Smileyfree

Smileyfree Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Hawk,
    I am not attending AZCOM, I will be attending NYCOM this August, but I wanted to write you a quick note because I noticed you were from Highland, Utah. My family lives there... have for over 20 years. I spent every summer there when I was young. Just wondering where abouts in Highland your from and if maybe we know some of the same people. I know it's a long shot, but I thought it'd be fun. Let me know.

And CONGRATS!!!!!! to all of you!!!!!!

20. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

hawk- while we're asking...do you know any Nally's? :) I did the mish thing with a sis. Nally from Highland who was amazing!! We have a cabin up AF canyon and i love that area!!! I also meant to ask if "hawk" comes from a love of falconry or just a fancy name?? One more thing...how many of you are married? My wife is looking to make quite a bunch of friends out of spouses!

21. Kadyra

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

22. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,
    Hey Smileyfree, I have only lived in highland for 3 years, but wife has lived here all her life so she would most likely know your family, what is the last name. Let me know and we can compare notes.

Hey Jhug, sorry, don't know any nally's, but lucky you about the cabin up AF canyon, nice...About the nickname, well...did you ever watch Air Wolf when you were young, it was a rockin' TV show, and my sisters all thought I looked like the main character(Jan Michael Vincent) whose name was Hawk on the show, and it kind of stuck. About whose is married... of the 4 I know going all are married, I think I am the only one with a kid, I have a little boy who is 5 months old. A lot are married so your wife shouldn't have a hard time making any friends, I know my wife is excited to do so. She already knows Maximus's wife. And to tell you the truth I think Maximus's screen name should probably be minimus :D .

Lets keep this thread going. I have seen others saying they are going to AZCOM, where are they. I would like to know as many as possible and all the different scenarios that people will be coming from .

AZCOM rocks! :cool:

23. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

Make jokes all you want, funny boy!!! I will crush you. Hawk...you look more like Earnest.

Anyone got any good info from the school yet. Since I gve them money, I haven't heard a thing. Just wondering.

24. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Max-- i got a nice little christmas card with an apple on it-- other than that i haven't received much. Have any of you started on the financial aid thing?? :(

25. Kadyra

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

26. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you have to put your partents info even if you are married/not dependant?? I have heard that you do & that you don't, but it seemed on the fasfa site it mentioned something about not having to if you are independant. EEEK!! I am super impressed that you are done!!! Have you heard of nowloans.com??? i guess it is out of kirksville- but they pay all fees and you actually get what you are quoted- they also have all these perks if you are good about paying. So many new stresses!!!! I think this aspect is the most intimidating of all :(

27. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

I've never used my parents' info (I'm an AZCOM MS2) and it hasn't hampered my ability to get loans.

There may be some cheaper loans (lower interest, less fees, etc.) if you give your parents stuff and they don't make a lot of money, but to me it was easier to just do everything myself. I get the max in Stafford loans, and qualified for the max in the private loan the school pushes.

Good luck.

28. Kadyra

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've only heard of NowLoans.com from what I have seen in threads on SDN. I'd hate to have to pay a bunch of student loan fees, so I will definitely be checking them out.

And the reason FAFSA wants parental info is so they can tell if you qualify for need-based aid. The need-based aid generally comes directly for the school, since as professional students we don't qualify for Pell grants and stuff. I odn't know if you still need parental info for that if you're married. I'm not, so it's not something I know about. It's still an annoying process though. It didn't take too long though since I had already done my taxes.

29. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

boomer-- this is an odd question but...i would like to talk with some azcom students using nowloans--see how they feel about it and how nowloans is completing with their claims. Is there any way to find out/talk with those using it?? i don't want to ask anyone anything they don't want to share :D

30. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Jhug, once you are married you don't have to include your parents info. I have been filling this things out for years, once you are married or at a certain age you become independent and do not have to put your parents info in. I was checking out the nowloans thing too, sounds cool. Does anyone now if there are any fees or anything attached to a Subsidized stafford loan? Just wondering.

31. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

Here is a question....

How are all you married folk out there financing your medical educations? Is everyone doing the loan thing, or what? Looks like it is going to get a little pricey??!! Sure hope the pay after residency is good, cause at $120,000+ in loans it may be a bit of a bumpy ride.

32. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Maximus-- we are trying to save up as much as possible. We have the goal of having one full year of rent saved up before we go down. We have some inherited stuff from my grandparents but other than that it's the stafford way!! I agree with you- this is the most intimidating aspect of the whole thing. Anyone else found something that works??

33. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

Yea, That is definately the part I am not looking forward to. My wife and I are doing pretty much the same, trying to save up as much as possible. Gonna be crazy.

34. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I like that you guys are saving up. It'll definitely help out in the long run. Many of my married classmates have spouses that work. That really helps out to cover costs. For those of us who have kids and spouses who don't work we either try a variety of scholarships or low interest loans.

Apply to a variety of different scholarships. It takes a month of summer work to make $1000. It takes on application for for a scholarship to usually make two to three time that amount.

If at all possible, try to maximize loans that do not accrue interest while you are in school. I think with government Stanford(?)loans you can get 10,000 here at AZCOM.

Last but not least, a # of medical students with families here qualify for government assistance. There's medicaid, WICHE, and also if you need it food stamps.

So far, I'm loving everyday of my education here at AZCOM. The money is well worth the cost. True, AZCOM is a bit more expensive than other schools, but in the end we'll all be broke. No worries.

35. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

aloha kid- could you put a finger on any aspects of azcom that you like the most?? The overall feeling i had while there is the main reason i am going-- i just felt great, during my interview i had all the confidence in the world--everything about the day seemed right. Do you have any suggestions on low-interest loans?? Also, are you in on-campus housing--what do you hear about it??

36. DaddyD

DaddyD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey y'all, I've decided on AZCOM. My wife and I were down there this week looking at housing opportunities. It was 80 degrees, the AC was blaring in the jeep, and our two-month-old son Kenyon was baring his skin under the sun for the first time in his life. I kept asking Hilary, "What month is it again? There's no way it's January." We love the weather down there. It sure beats all the white stuff we're trudging through up here in Utah. It'll be cool studying in the valley of the sun with all of you. I'm up for the idea of getting together in Salt Lake with some of you who live nearby and have a bite to eat. Somebody throw out a time and place and we'll be there.

After searching all of Glendale, Hilary and I are down to two living options: student housing and the new Arrowhead Highlands right across the street. On-campus housing is great because it's so close, it has internet and some utilities paid for, it's fairly spacious inside compared to the others we looked at, there's nice big lawns outside with basketball and volleyball, and there's probably alot of you guys right there to hang out and study with. Arrowhead is favored by my wife, who thinks they're really stylin' inside compared to the boxy designs and blue staircases of student housing. Also, we can keep the stepcat over there. However it is about $150 more/month. I myself don't value style at this point in my life with the ensuing debt hovering over my family, but she seems to think she's becoming a widow for the next four years and would like a nice place to spend her lonely years. Where are you all planning on living, and why?

It'll be great to get to know you all. Let's get together one weekend soon.

Derek

37. Kadyra

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

38. Smileyfree

Smileyfree Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Hawk,
    Ask your wife if she knows the Dally or Lojik family. And I have one more for you, but for some reason I can't seem to rummage though all the crap in my brain to get to it. So, I'll get back to you with that one. Let me know.

39. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

daddyd-- congrats on the acceptance!! my wife and i laughed pretty hard at your comments, she seems to feel the same as you wife about becoming a widow for the next few years :) We are thinking about living in the on-campus housing- mostly for financial reasons, but also to be close to new friends/school. The luxury ones seemed really nice and i think those are the only ones we'd go with. Has anyone heard back from on-campus living??? We sent our card thing in a long time ago but haven't heard. Would you all like to get together before of after the olympics??

40. DaddyD

DaddyD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

jhug- (what does that mean anyway? Jerry Has Unprecedented Gas? Jivin' High Using Grass? Or is it your initials: Jefferson Harwood Utley Greenwood?) Last week while we were down in AZ, Jose the student housing man said the new contracts will be available the end of February, and they will send out info at that time. He said many of the rates are going down this year to compete with surrounding complexes. That's good news.
    Derek

41. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey everyone, have a good weekend.

Smileyfree, I checked with my wife and those names didn't sound familiar at all to her, sorry, I even had her read your post.

DaddyD, my wife was super excited about your post, we have been watching to see if anyone was in the same boat as us. We have a 5 month old boy, Teagen, and you are the first that I have heard mentioning having a child. I looked at 4 different apartment complexes that were close to campus, and on-campus housing, and my wife agrees about becoming a widow and that she deserves a nice little place to bide her time. I found one about a mile away that had lower prices then the rest and was just as nice, though those arrowhead ones are nice, I also found out all the deals that they offer when you sign a lease, make sure you ask about that it can save you a ton of money.
    My wife really wanted to reply to you as she was just excited there might be another spouse their that had a young child. When you were there did you find anything else that interested you, housing??, are you looking for a house? I just want to be close to campus the first year at least, after that we might know the area better and can do something different.

Well, it seems this post is going well, any utahans just throw out your ideas when a good time to get together would be. Maybe we can find a good time for us all. It seems right now that we have a good list.

Hawk(Kiley Mortensen)
    Maximus(Jeremy Huff)
    Jhug(?)
    Emil Erickson
    DaddyD(?)

Anyone else that is going to Azcom and wants to get together, just add your name to the list, sorry if I didn't mention you, just add your name and we will try to find a time and place that works good.
    Later.

42. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hawk & Daddy-- i hope you live in the on-campus housing! We are having a baby around the first week of Sept. and don't want to be the only ones with little kids!! i'm a bit worried about starting school with such a new little baby-- also, if it's up crying all night i could say it was one of yours :) it'll be fun to all be going through similar new trials. Hawk, what's the name of the apartments a mile away?? By the way, my name is jason hughes- but i did like Jefferson Harwood Utley Greenwood!!!

43. dctrben

dctrben Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all,

I am not going to AZCOM next year, but I do have some Utah connections, I was born in Payson (just south of Provo). I was just looking through a lot of your concerns about finances and thought I would share what my wife and I are doing. I agree that saving now is extremely important and that a working spouse, especially with little children doesn't sound like a great idea. What my wife and I are doing is running a business from home. She puts in as much time as she can in a week, sometimes ten hours, some times more and sometimes less.

I know that a lot of you are thinking that it is Amway. It is not. It is a company that sells nutritional supplements that are designed to fulfill the body's nutritional needs on the cellular level. It is a publicly traded company and they are even the sponsors of the United States and Canadian Speed Skating teams. It is a great company and a great opportunity to get started on helping people live a healthier and ultimately happier life. If you would like to know more, either email me or respond in here. Good luck next year at school I am sure you will enjoy it, I am looking forward to starting med school myself.

Maximus-- would you by any chance have a relative named Charles Huff that lives in Vegas??

Ben

44. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey sorry for being so late to respond to some of your guys questions. We just got done with our Anatomy exam which started 6:30 am. First, regarding on campus housing. Presently, I can count about seven families with children who live on campus. There are also single parent families with kids as well. I live on campus with my family and enjoy it tremendously. It takes me 5 minutes to wake up and run to school. It takes the same amount of time to run home for lunch, a break, or whatever. I have my personal office space, (The school Library) right next door. Best yet, when I feel like visiting my spouse or kids, it just takes 5 minutes. The housing environment is nice, new, and comfortable.

Off campus housing is just as good. A lot of people live in the sagestone apartments and the extremely lavish condominiums next door.

Believe it or not, you will see your spouses and children while in medical school. There is a lot of studying, but, it's studying that can be done at home if you have a room you can lock yourself in.

45. Hawk

Hawk Member
    7+ Year Member

46. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Hawk- i'd love to get that info from you when we get together! Aloha- how did the anatomy test go??

47. DaddyD

DaddyD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, it looks like our wives and kids will have a great social network. We just took Kenyon in for his 2 month immunizations and he yelled like a freight train. But overall he took it like a man, just a couple of post-prick whimpers and he was back to his playful self. I love kids & I love being a dad. Having a family will be the greatest support for me during school. Hilary and Kenyon are my biggest fans, and they will provide such a huge support and diversion when I get too bogged down in studying. My wife is such an awesome girl, and playing with Kenyon is the most relaxing thing I can do. Those of us with families are truly fortunate.
    Now, that being said, Jason is IN FOR IT!!!!!! You're having a baby in September!?!?!?! Right when school starts!?!?!?!? Good luck, bro. The first month is insane! Well, it was for me. I had to practically ignore my classes for the first week of his life. Then, for the first month, the most he would sleep at night was two hours down, then two hours up, then one hour down, etc. until I became a walking zombie. I was taking him on car rides every night at 3 a.m. to calm him down. That was the only way to get him to sleep. Oh, I could go on, my brother, but it's too frightening to put down on print. Let me say however, they are so worth it. There is nothing in the world like looking down at your own bundle of joy and realizing that you MADE him. It is incredible.
    Kiley - we are not looking at buying a house. We've already been through short-term property ownership and it wasn't worth it to us. Also, since rotations can take you to various locations, we want to keep our living arrangements very flexible.
    Since no one else is proposing a date to get together, let's try Friday January 25 at 6:00 pm for the great AZCOM feast at Rodizio Grill in Trolley Square. But I don't want any of you jokesters pointing out anatomy landmarks on the barbecue going around. Kiley can bring all of his housing info. Let me know if this is a good time and place for you all.
    Later
    -Derek Johnson :eek: :eek:

48. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

dctrben...Nope, I don't know any Huff's in Vegas.

My wife and I are looking pretty intently at the Arrowhead Highlands. It is definately about two things 1)Ammenities and 2)Proximity...ok the real reason is because my wife likes them a ton. We will see as things get closer though. Gonna be a fun time!!

Financing your education is a tricky one. In then end just remember, we will all be in debt together. That is truly priceless!

49. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

derek-- rodizio sounds great- true to my penny-pinching ways though- if we go a just a bit before lunch ends we don't have to pay as much but you still get the dinner stuff by the time we eat :) I know... i'm a bum! But the 25th sounds good to me!! What is your wife's maiden name?? Did you both grow up in Sandy?

50. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Guys...

Hawk and I are game for meeting, but 6pm on a Friday is hard to do. We both work till 5/530. How about Saturday the 26th for lunch (rodizio would be great) say 12pm??