Utah vs Colorado vs Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodie83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My spouse (not in med school) and I are totally stuck with how to order the top 4 positions for my ROL. We've narrowed it down to three areas: Colorado, Utah, and Bay Area. We've scored all of the programs using the criteria we came up with, listed all the pros and cons, have had lots of conversations and really could just put them in any order.

There's no one tipping point for either of us that pushes us toward or away from one of those places. Obviously cost of living is significantly higher in the Bay Area but the likelihood is that my spouse's job would pay significantly more. While that's a factor, it's by no means the deciding factor for us.

Can anyone offer any insight? Obviously what I want is great training, in a great environment. I am interested in critical care (of course that may change) and want to be competitive for a fellowship. We don't feel that we will need to stay to do a fellowship where I do my residency, though we would consider that. It's my understanding that Colorado and Utah plan to apply for critical care fellowships in the next year or two, so all four of these programs would have this to offer. I really enjoyed my interviews in all of these places and liked the people I met.

We've thought of buying a dart board and using that to help us decide, but that just doesn't seem quite right...

Members don't see this ad.

Each has its advantages. At Utah you get a lot of TEE. You can learn it well in residency and can use it without having fellowship training. It would come in handy in the ICU. Wish I had even gotten an interview there. Colorado is a similar size and similar feel. Great training at both places. Bay area is somewhat of a mystery to me. Is it really that beacon in the fog or has it gone down from its previous reputation? Only those close to the program could know.

I'll offer my opinion. My bias, I interviewed at Utah for residency and at UCSF for CCM fellowship. My other bias, I like to ski. Didn't train at either one, live in SoCal now.

As far as location, I prefer Salt Lake. The social scene may not be as upbeat as SF or even Denver, but if you want outdoors stuff it won't get any closer. Great skiing near by, easy to ski on post call days :) Fly fishing, hiking. All so close. Wish I had that now. And, if you want to get away, big airport with reasonable connections right there. The residency program was great. If I couldn't have gone where I went, Utah is where I would have wanted to go. Great TEE and regional experience for the residents.

UCSF is a great program, a lot of talent in a lot of different areas. For training I don't think you can go wrong. SF has a lot to offer if you want a hip urban environment. Skiing is a bit further away though, but drivable. As far as critical care, one of the two old guard anesthesia ccm programs on the west coast, Stanford is the other.

Colorado, I really don't have any first hand experience with it. I haven't heard anything negative, haven't heard anything outstanding either. As a city, Denver probably strikes a nice balance between SF and SLC.

Just my opinions.