UTD vs UNT / Biochemistry or Molecular Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does Biochemistry or Molecular Biology better prepare you for Medical School?

• Biochemistry

• Molecular Biology

Results are only viewable after voting.

viper999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here majored in biochemistry at UTD or UNT, or molecular biology at UTD? I'm switching colleges and have narrowed down the two based on proximity. I've been reading through threads on this forum about UTD vs. UTA and from as much as I could gather, people here seem to think UTD is better. I am 20 and would like to continue having somewhat of a college experience my main concern being students that are about my age. UTD has about half the number of students as UTA & UNT and both UTA and UTD seem to have reputations as commuter colleges. I'm thinking UNT would have more students my age and would be more of a "typical" 4-year university. It also happens that UNT is the closest to me making it the most convenient option.
My main concern is academics... I've heard the differences between biochemistry and (cell &) molecular biology are small and a lot of the subjects intertwine. From what I can gather, biochemistry focuses mostly on the biological molecules and how they interact using chemistry. Molecular biology seems a little fuzzier and I'm having a hard time distinguishing any appreciable differences between the two.

So... Three questions

1. Which do you think provides the most relevant to medicine understanding of body processes? Would love to hear any personal experiences if you majored in one of these.
2. Which of the two has the most career options by itself? I'm interested in medical research so which would be more suited for that?
2.Can you guys help me figure out the major differences between biochemistry and molecular biology?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly the differences aren't huge besides if you prefer chemistry or biology? As a Molecular bio major, you will take many other types of biology classes and as a biochem major you will take a lot of other chemistry classes like physical chemistry and analytical chemistry that have nothing to do with medicine.

Between UNT and UTD, go where you feel most comfortable. UNT is much more of a typical college feel, but maybe you want a more academic straightforward experience and UTD is great as well.

1) Choose biochem if you don't mind taking Physical Chemistry with the major. The only difference btw the two will be a few upper-level classes.
2) Career options would be available for both.
3) Do you like to learn about the chemical nature of biology or just strictly biology?

If you are interested in research, UTD is the place to go. Their collaboration with UT Southwestern will provide you with many more opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I
Honestly the differences aren't huge besides if you prefer chemistry or biology? As a Molecular bio major, you will take many other types of biology classes and as a biochem major you will take a lot of other chemistry classes like physical chemistry and analytical chemistry that have nothing to do with medicine.

Between UNT and UTD, go where you feel most comfortable. UNT is much more of a typical college feel, but maybe you want a more academic straightforward experience and UTD is great as well.
I would enjoy more chemistry and the chemical nature of biology than biology. I was thinking UNT would also have good research opportunities because of the UNT health science center.