UTHSC (Tennessee) vs. Quinnipiac (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

take10

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! So just to provide a quick background, I am from Jacksonville, FL and attended Quinnipiac for undergrad. I just graduated in May and had been accepted outright into UTHSC in December (which was my PTE). Recently, I have been brought off the waitlist from QU and am having some trouble narrowing down my decision. In terms of school ranking, Netter and UTHSC are pretty equal so that's not too much of a factor.

UTHSC
Pros
  • Father's alma mater
  • Memphis is a fun city and will be a new experience
  • Large well-known school that has a great match list
  • Extremely low cost-of-living

Cons
  • Far from girlfriend who will be attending PA school in Boston
  • Moving to a completely new city with no connections

Quinnipiac
Pros
  • My own alma mater
  • Many connections and am already familiar with New Haven area
  • Close to girlfriend in Boston
  • MeSH program is extremely unique and a great plus to the curriculum
  • Hoping to complete residency in a big Northern city (i.e. NYC, Philly, Boston, D.C.)

Cons
  • Match list is limited as it is a fairly new school (first class graduated in 2017)
  • High cost-of-living
  • Lesser known school anywhere outside of the Northeast

Summary: I honestly am stuck in the middle between both schools and am not sure which to pick. In my eyes, they seem to be pretty equal after accounting for everything. Any advice on my situation or insight on the schools would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Any differences in COA for each? If you're looking to stay in the Northeast, seems like Netter would be the best option and gives you a chance keep up your relationship a bit easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any differences in COA for each? If you're looking to stay in the Northeast, seems like Netter would be the best option and gives you a chance keep up your relationship a bit easier.
There is no tuition difference since I would be paying OOS for Tennessee. The only real difference is in cost-of-living. Rent in Memphis is about 800/month where rent in New Haven is about 1200/month.