UTHSC vs Quinnipiac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dogsinspace92

Reaction score
Hey guys, hoping you all can help me with a dilemma. I’m really struggling to decide between schools, and a lot of that is based on my indecision over what path I want to take specialty wise. Some things to consider: I am married so my pros and cons mostly reflect that. I prefer Quinnipiac in most ways, but with Step 1 going P/F I am a tad worried about not having home residency programs. Price for tuition is not an issue since I received a scholarship at Quinnipiac.

University of Tennessee Health Science Center

Pros

• Cheaper cost of living (potentially ~30k over the course of 4 years in housing if we rent a house)
  • Stay in-state, so state income tax benefits
  • Easier for Wife to transfer into a new job
  • Good hospitals
  • Good networking throughout Tennessee
  • Can drive home (~6hours)
  • Lots of home residency programs
Cons

• Potentially limiting future opportunities of working in other areas of the country by staying in home state
  • Memphis is not a desirable place to live (to me)
  • Less direct mentorship at the medical school (which is really important to me)
  • Feel like a number among a large class size

Quinnipiac

Pros

• Opportunity to grow by being far from comfort zone
  • Great mentorship within the school
  • Begin practicing medical skills in first year
  • Possibility to study in Maine
  • Smaller class size feels more intimate and close
  • Great connections with high-quality hospitals like Yale
  • Great match list into programs like Yale
  • Scholarly concentration capstone project allows me to learn research and focus my education
  • Smaller class size
Cons
  • Cost of living is higher (potentially 30k or more over the course of 4 years)
  • Farther from family (11-12 hour drive)
  • Likely have to live in a smaller place (like an apartment or annex and we have two large dogs)
  • Wife’s job prospects are currently unknown
  • No home residency programs, so if I become interested in competitive specialty that seems like a big drawback

Members don't see this ad.