UTHSCSA vs. UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thoughts? which one should I pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
any reasoning behind these picks?? ...anything would be helpful at this point

Last edited:
I prematched at both but ranked uthscsa higher cuz:
1 UTMB is still recovering from Ike, 2 UTMB clinicals are all over Texas 3 I liked letter grading of SA better than curve grades at UTMB 4 It is rumored that PBL can be a waste of time in some cases depending on peers & mentors

I looked at match lists and specialty departments for each schools to see which had better connections in my specialty of interest. SA won out even though it's preclinical curriculum is way too traditional Mainly cuz it gave me a gut feeling that I would fit better there.

Clinicals in Austin / Houston vs. SA; hard choice.. ;)

The students at San Antonio seemed really happy and loved the school a lot. And they all seemed really awesome too! That's why I'm going there! I didn't click with UTMB as much

Both seemed like great schools to me, I'm sure you'd be happy at both. I just like the beach and want to do my rotations in Austin.

Both seemed like great schools to me, I'm sure you'd be happy at both. I just like the beach and want to do my rotations in Austin.

Is UTMB still doing rotations in Austin? I've heard a lot of rumors about UTMB losing a lot of these spots to UTSW since UTSW is starting to take over the residency program in Austin as well.

Not trying to be inflammatory I'm genuinely curious...

thoughts? which one should I pick?

Be sure to consider the location of the schools. Galveston is an island - it is humid, susceptible to hurricanes, and the beach is, well, not one of the best. SA is urban and possibly more diverse in terms of its population/patient base.

Is UTMB still doing rotations in Austin? I've heard a lot of rumors about UTMB losing a lot of these spots to UTSW since UTSW is starting to take over the residency program in Austin as well.

Not trying to be inflammatory I'm genuinely curious...

While UTSW did purchase (or whatever you want to call it) the residency program in Austin, I really doubt UTSW will be sending any students down to Austin anytime soon except for maybe FM rotation since UTSW already has great facilities and teaching hospitals in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.