UTHSCSA

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AISMD, Aug 5, 2000.

1. AISMD

AISMD Junior Member

Does anybody out there know or have talked to David Jones at UTHSCSA? I believe he is involved in admissions. I have an appointment to meet with him on Aug. 8. I currently have an application in to the school of medicine, and I believe that my application is strong with the exception of my MCAT score (20,N). My question is: does anybody have any advice on how to approach the meeting? I would like to convince him to grant me an interview, at the very least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorK

DoctorK Member

Yes, I have met and talked with Dr. Jones on a few occasions. I think he's a nice, approachable guy. Did you request this meeting? I know a girl who got in there with a 19 MCAT, so I know your stats won't automatically eliminate you. If the rest of your stats are okay and you have some strong extracurriculars and/or are underrepresented (ie, minority, disadvantaged status, etc), you will have a strong chance. Don't be nervous or anything, just tell him that you're interested in the HSC and would like to review your application/information. I'm not sure exactly how forthcoming he can be if you've already submitted your application (conflict of interest with other applicants), but he's always great help to people before/after they've applied to let them know what their strengths and liabilities are before applying/reapplying. I lived in San Antonio for a number of years, and found that he's a good source of info. Good luck!

------------------
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

4. Carp

Carp Member

Are you taking the August MCAT? You should. If you think you're smart enough to be successful medical school then you should beleive that you can do better on the MCAT. I think that might come up. I'm sure it'll occur to him.

5. AISMD

AISMD Junior Member

The meeting came about while I was shadowing an anesthesiologist friend of mine and he introduced me to the chair of the dept. of anesthesiology. I told him that I had an application to the medical school. He then gave me his card and said that I should schedule a meeting with him and Dr. Jones. As far as other stats:
    Overall GPA: 3.39
    Science GPA: 3.50
    Graduate GPA: 4.0 (Biology)
    This is according to TMDSAS. I do have leadership experience serving two semesters as science club president, teaching and church activities. I also have lots of volunteer work (mentoring underprivleged elementary school kids, church hospital ministry, and medical missionary work). I have about three years of biochemistry and molecular biology research experience, where I have presented research data at national conferences (SACNAS, MARC/MBRS). Additionally, I have participated in a summer molecular biology research program at UT Austin, as well as scholarship programs that are traditionally reserved for minority/disadvantaged students. I also have clinical exposure as I have spent time shadowing that friend (anesthesiologist) of mine. I have recieved academic honors such as Who's Who and Golden Key. I am not a minority, however, I believe that I have a case for being disadvantaged: I come from divorced parents and an abusive father. I am the first person in my family to attend college. I cannot take the August MCAT because I am getting married on that day! So, like I said, with the exception of the MCAT, I feel I have strong credentials. Additional feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6. reed99

reed99 Member

I have had occasion to meet with Dr. Jones three times to discuss my application and ways to improve my odds. I believe he places a high premium on integrity and character. I also know that he feels strongly about minority/disadvantaged students and that UTHSCSA is actively trying to recruit folks that fit those categories. I believe that being a first generation college student will be of particular interest to him. He has a good BS detector so I would be genuine in speaking to him. Finally, I was granted an interview at UTHSCSA last year by him personally. I was in his office and he inquired "whether I had plans on Monday". I am certain I would not have been interviewed at all had I not been corresponding with him all semester...He is a good guy. Good luck to you!