Dunce

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
how can you have a UTI with normal urinalysis results?

OP
D

Dunce

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status
Medical Student
anybody have a good idea of the general sensitivity of a typical UA for UTI?

Ezekiel20

Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
Sydney, NSW Australia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you talking about dipstick urinalysis? If so then they are only considered a side-room screening test. If you're talking about a urine microscopy & culture, then it would be close to impossible to have normal results while having UTI (ie. normal white cells, no blood, no increased protein, no abnormal culture).

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Perhaps the infection was at the distal urethra but the patient only collected midstream urine which "washed out" the bacteria.

KidDr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
someplace warm
Status
Attending Physician
Dunce said:
how can you have a UTI with normal urinalysis results?
We see this in peds sometimes (in babies specifically)--babies' relative urine output is much higher than adults. The urine just doesn't sit in the bladder for that long, so the LE and nitrite can be negative because it takes time for these to turn positive in the setting of bacteruria. Hence we always send a UA and a UCx, cause you can't necessarily rely on the UA results. I'd think this would be pretty uncommon in adults, though.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
If a patient's symptoms are consistent with a UTI, but their dipstick is completely negative, I'd order a urine microscopy and a C&S. I'd hold off on antibiotics, however, until the results came back.

Sensitivity information is usually available from the manufacturer of the urinalysis kit.

UTI-like symptoms can be caused by a varity of other things, such as dietary irritants, concentrated urine, urethral irritation from BV or candidiasis, topical irritants (detergents, etc.), atrophic vaginitis (in postmenopausal women), urethritis, urethral strictures, bladder stones, bladder polyps, bladder carcinoma, overactive bladder, interstitial cystitis, etc.

If the urine culture is negative, you've gotta keep looking.

latinfridley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2001
Status
MadameLULU said:
Perhaps the infection was at the distal urethra but the patient only collected midstream urine which "washed out" the bacteria.
...perhaps so.... ;)

0T6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2004
Toronto/Ottawa
Status
If the bacteria are in the distal urethra, is it even a UTI? It's not 'cystitis' until its in the bladder.. I don't know, I've never heard of a 'distal UTI'

latinfridley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2001
Status
0T6 said:
If the bacteria are in the distal urethra, is it even a UTI? It's not 'cystitis' until its in the bladder.. I don't know, I've never heard of a 'distal UTI'
Its a UTI if its in the urinary tract...... :)