Utility of Away Rotation in Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm re-posting this in a more appropriate forum:

I'd really like to get people's input on doing "away" rotations in Peds. I've heard kinda mixed opinions about them. On the one side, it gives you a different perspective of how other hospitals work, plus you can "test drive" a program you may be interested in. On the other hand, you have to be on your best behavior for the whole time, and one screw-up can blow your chances. Still, a lot of students do them.

I would like to hear about any experiences, positive or negative, and also what's the best rationale for choosing them. When applying for residency, are there certain programs (let's say in Peds) that would question how come you did NOT do an away rotation at their hospital?

Thanks for your input :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of opinions on this matter, so I won't specifically say too much about the positives of doing an away rotation because I can argue both sides.

However, I don't think that a program would give you a hard time about NOT doing an away rotation there. There are so many programs that people apply to, and it's impossible to do away rotations at ALL of them. Plus your school probably has a limited amount of away rotations they allow, etc. You could also just say that you didn't have the $$ or avenues to do so anyways.

My $0.02

I did an away rotation and am now an intern at a program where I did not do the away rotation. IMHO, they don't really matter at all - only for personal growth.

There are a lot of people who have done away rotations in less competitive fields, such as IM, family, peds, psych, etc. who have found out their #1 choice totally blows. They would not have known this if they hadnt rotated. Therefore, I think they are very important, and easier for you to do well since you know you are in the driver's seat from the beginning. You dont have to be anxious about doing well. Remember most pediatricians are nice people. They are not going to be that hard for you.

Also, keep in mind the competitive peds programs are not easy to get into, nor are those in highly desireable areas. Just because the specialty is overall not that competitive (tons of programs with several spots at each program), the top programs are just as competitive as the average program of a competitive specialty. An away rotation can help you get in at these programs.

Lastly, I have heard of programs asking people in interviews why they had not done any rotations anywhere let alone at that program.