UTK c/o 2015 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was looking at the UTK cvm website and it appears that my interview is the last interview on the last day, does that mean anything?

I saw that it takes them 2 or more weeks to mail out acceptance letters after interviews are done. If tenn uses a point system and I assume the interviewers give you a score right after your interview, shuldnt it be pretty easy to add up all your points and pick the class? Why the 2 week delay? Are there other factors at work other then the point system?

Thank you!

I have been clicking around the website and couldn't really find anything about times...? I was also wondering about which building/room to meet in and where to park. Does anyone know where this information is? A link to any UTK page would be very helpful! :D
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been clicking around the website and couldn't really find anything about times...? I was also wondering about which building/room to meet in and where to park. Does anyone know where this information is? A link to any UTK page would be very helpful! :D
Thanks!

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=35.945626,-83.940075&spn=0.006688,0.009645&z=17

If you look at the map, there's a parking lot labelled C4 behind the vet school building. You'll park there, and they'll give you a parking pass to go put in your car. Don't park in S66....it's the staff lot and they get very very antsy when people park there. The entrance to the building is on the side that says "Pendergrass Library". There will be a big sign pointing to the right door. The info meeting starts at 8:00 am. Your interview time should be listed on your letter, but they will confirm it with you, and give you a room number when you check in before hand. If you lost your letter and don't want to show up for the info meeting, just call the admin office and they can look it up for you.

They really should put this on a page on the website, but :shrug: alas it isn't there.

for those that took the online biochem course.... do you remember how much it cost for just that course? I am having the hardest time trying to find it on U of Minnesota's website, and I am meant to make my decision about all that today (ie. will I be attending my interview). I just can't figure out what to do. Wouldn't be such a tough decision if I had not already spent money on this class already...

Members don't see this ad :)
scratch that last post... after a bit of thought and research, I decided I would be unable to hack another biochemistry this summer.

Hopefully withdrawing from the race means someone else gets a shot... good luck to everyone with interviews, wish I could have joined in on the fun.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=35.945626,-83.940075&spn=0.006688,0.009645&z=17

If you look at the map, there's a parking lot labelled C4 behind the vet school building. You'll park there, and they'll give you a parking pass to go put in your car. Don't park in S66....it's the staff lot and they get very very antsy when people park there. The entrance to the building is on the side that says "Pendergrass Library". There will be a big sign pointing to the right door. The info meeting starts at 8:00 am. Your interview time should be listed on your letter, but they will confirm it with you, and give you a room number when you check in before hand. If you lost your letter and don't want to show up for the info meeting, just call the admin office and they can look it up for you.

They really should put this on a page on the website, but :shrug: alas it isn't there.

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

One week everyone!! Just one more week until interviews! ...Then another 2 weeks of waiting...

I was accepted at OSU but UTK would be my top choice if I am accepted!

Can't wait til the whole thing is over :):xf::luck:

Still waiting on my letter...it's definitely made my midterm week more stressful. I just want to KNOW either way and I'm confused as to why they sent out rejection letters to other OOS people but not to me? :confused: Are they just too busy?

I feel like at this point I most likely won't be getting an interview but it would be nice to know for sure.

ps. Yes, I called the admissions office. They said my application was "still in review."

Still waiting on my letter...it's definitely made my midterm week more stressful. I just want to KNOW either way and I'm confused as to why they sent out rejection letters to other OOS people but not to me? :confused: Are they just too busy?

I feel like at this point I most likely won't be getting an interview but it would be nice to know for sure.

ps. Yes, I called the admissions office. They said my application was "still in review."

Maybe that's their way of having an "interview waitlist" like some of the other schools do. Just some positive thinking!! I actually have no idea but since I declined my interview I hope that maybe means you'll get it!

Here's to hoping that my decline for an interview gives you a spot! Good luck to those interviewing!

Maybe that's their way of having an "interview waitlist" like some of the other schools do. Just some positive thinking!! I actually have no idea but since I declined my interview I hope that maybe means you'll get it!

Here's to hoping that my decline for an interview gives you a spot!

Thanks for the support! I am hoping it is because of something like an interview waitlist but I don't want to get my hopes up too much... :rolleyes:

I got a phone call two days ago since I hadn't responded to my letter yet ... which I never got in the mail. Haha, snail mail is so unreliable sometimes! The talk on here about accreditation made me decline my interview and stick with the school I already got accepted into. Good luck to all the interviewees!

I got a phone call two days ago since I hadn't responded to my letter yet ... which I never got in the mail. Haha, snail mail is so unreliable sometimes! The talk on here about accreditation made me decline my interview and stick with the school I already got accepted into. Good luck to all the interviewees!

That's too bad that you didn't interview because of this info on here. Congrats on getting into another school though!

I just want to encourage others not to be put off by the accreditation info. We were all unsure what it all meant when it was brought up to us, but it really really isn't something to worry about (if you get in, you are going to graduate from an accredited school, and our school's reputation is still the same as it's always been). If anyone else at all is wondering what that's all about and wants more information, the administration at UT would be more than happy to explain exactly what it means and alleviate any concern that you may have.

Just wanted everyone to know not to worry and to definitely try not to base your decisions on what you read here, or you may end up passing up a school you could really love! (not saying you made the wrong decision CMArizona, just wanted to get that out there for other who might have had the same concerns as you did and haven't picked a school yet).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted everyone to know not to worry and to definitely try not to base your decisions on what you read here, or you may end up passing up a school you could really love! (not saying you made the wrong decision CMArizona, just wanted to get that out there for other who might have had the same concerns as you did and haven't picked a school yet).

:thumbup:

I'm sure the "limited accreditation" status might scare some people off, but UT really is a great school. If you're concerned about it, just ask someone. And they are in the process of updating a lot of things, like the large animal hospital and a necropsy digester (combine that smell with the bacon from the munch box across the hall, and our 1st year classroom smells....very unique sometimes. :laugh:)

:thumbup:

I'm sure the "limited accreditation" status might scare some people off, but UT really is a great school. If you're concerned about it, just ask someone. And they are in the process of updating a lot of things, like the large animal hospital and a necropsy digester (combine that smell with the bacon from the munch box across the hall, and our 1st year classroom smells....very unique sometimes. :laugh:)

Awe, you don't like the smell of necrosing bacon in the morning, Skittles? It's my fav part of the day! J/K....

I seriously second the opinion though. UT is a great school, and the accreditation status has everything to do with the facilities(which are being updated), and nothing to do with the quality of the education you get.

Good Luck to everyone interviewing this week! My interview is Friday, so hopefully I will meet some of you at the information session/tour.

For those of you interviewing earlier, let us know how it goes and what to expect!

My interview is on Friday too! I love meeting SDNers in real life. And I second the good luck to all those interviewing.

Tennessee just called aaaaand...I HAVE AN INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

I can't believe it!!!!!! I am just so thankful.

I will be around all week at around 12-1 pm. if anyone wants to talk or whatever, send me a PM with your name so I can find you.

I see you're on Path right now- I was lurking around on the necropsy viewing balcony today after helping out with interviews....looks like yall had some cool stuff today!

To the interviewees- I'll be around tomorrow helping out too if anyone is interviewing tomorrow and wants to chat!

I see you're on Path right now- I was lurking around on the necropsy viewing balcony today after helping out with interviews....looks like yall had some cool stuff today!

To the interviewees- I'll be around tomorrow helping out too if anyone is interviewing tomorrow and wants to chat!

We certainly had enough cases today. I may be around more than just 12-1. But I can give any tours or talk to people at that time. I just don't want to presume I'll be free when I won't be (hence just 12-1). But I may meander over to the Sequoyah room to talk to people.

My interview is tomorrow and I would love to get to know any of you SDNers who will be there!
If you're interested, PM me.

I know it is late, but my laptop died and I just got my new one up and running!

My interview is tomorrow and I would love to get to know any of you SDNers who will be there!
If you're interested, PM me.

I know it is late, but my laptop died and I just got my new one up and running!

Good luck today, Jam! Unfortunately I'm stuck working the entire week (not sure how I got roped into 70 hours of work :eek:), so I won't be around for meeting and greeting.

I had my interview yesterday afternoon. I think everything went great. :D

The interview was much more conversational than I expected. I wasn't asked any questions about ethics or zoonotic diseases or horse slaughter or about situations involving clients with no money. They asked me about my personal statement and my circuitous path to vet school - what schools I went to, about my previous career as a biomedical researcher and graduate student, why did I decide to return to veterinary medicine, and so on. I was asked what I would do if I didn't get in, and I (of course!) said I would keep trying!

One of my interviewers knew my mentor because they went to UTCVM together! For luck, I had put a huge photo of my dogs (who figured prominently in my personal statement) on the front of the binder containing my application info, and they asked to see the photo. :)

I also went on the tour, which was well worth it. You will be on your feet quite a bit. I wore a business-casual outfit with Dansko clogs for the tour, and went home to change into my suit for my afternoon interview. I brought an umbrella, but none of the tour takes place outside.

Dean Brace was gracious and very nice to talk to. There were quite a few students hanging around to speak to before your interview.

Overall, a welcoming and relaxed interview process. Everyone was nice, including the fellow applicants.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I had my interview yesterday afternoon. I think everything went great. :D

The interview was much more conversational than I expected. I wasn't asked any questions about ethics or zoonotic diseases or horse slaughter or about situations involving clients with no money. They asked me about my personal statement and my circuitous path to vet school - what schools I went to, about my previous career as a biomedical researcher and graduate student, why did I decide to return to veterinary medicine, and so on. I was asked what I would do if I didn't get in, and I (of course!) said I would keep trying!

One of my interviewers knew my mentor because they went to UTCVM together! For luck, I had put a huge photo of my dogs (who figured prominently in my personal statement) on the front of the binder containing my application info, and they asked to see the photo. :)

I also went on the tour, which was well worth it. You will be on your feet quite a bit. I wore a business-casual outfit with Dansko clogs for the tour, and went home to change into my suit for my afternoon interview. I brought an umbrella, but none of the tour takes place outside.

Dean Brace was gracious and very nice to talk to. There were quite a few students hanging around to speak to before your interview.

Overall, a welcoming and relaxed interview process. Everyone was nice, including the fellow applicants.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Thanks for all the info sawbone!
Puts my nerves to ease a little bit :)

Two questions - what time did the tour start? Just wondering what time I need to be there in the morning because I have heard two different times.
Also, how long did you interview last?

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the info sawbone!
Puts my nerves to ease a little bit :)

You're welcome!

Two questions - what time did the tour start? Just wondering what time I need to be there in the morning because I have heard two different times.

At 8:45, there will be a short presentation by Dean Brace followed by the tour. Give yourself a little extra time to arrive, collect your parking pass and return to your car so you won't get ticketed. The talk is about 20 minutes long, and the tour took about an hour.

Also, how long did you interview last?

My interview was only 21 minutes long! I don't know if that is good or bad, but I arrived 5 minutes early and didn't see the previous applicant exit the interview room. Perhaps they take that time in between to discuss applicants.

Very best of luck!

Hey guys -
I saw that the US News and World Report rankings came out today (or recently...) and that UTK isn't even on the list. Does anyone know why? What are the criteria by which the schools are ranked and why isn't UTK on there?

Thanks!

Only fully accredited schools are ranked, so UTK's limited accreditation is probably why it wasn't listed.

This is from a post on the other thread:
"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a 5-point scale: outstanding (5), strong (4), good (3), adequate (2), or marginal (1). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear. "

Don't let that scare you away!! UT is a really good school!

I went to the interviews today and the dean said that the school had limited accrediation because the large animal hospital did not meet the standards. They said that floors in the hospital needed to be redone. The dean also said that they are fixing the issue as they are renovating the hospital starting next month. He went on to say that the limited accrediation did not affect getting a degree, license, employment etc.

Hey guys -
I saw that the US News and World Report rankings came out today (or recently...) and that UTK isn't even on the list. Does anyone know why? What are the criteria by which the schools are ranked and why isn't UTK on there?

Thanks!

From dvm360.com:

"Nine veterinary schools did not participate and therefore were not ranked in the survey. Those schools are the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign College of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, and the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine."

And as an aside, I recently spent nearly a month externship at one of the schools listed in the "top 5," and while it was a lovely school, TRULY, I came back to Tennessee convinced we have the superior program. So I am not at all sure what leads to "rank," but it seems kind of meaningless. I really feel good about Tennessee having seen one of the "top" schools in action.

And as an aside, I recently spent nearly a month externship at one of the schools listed in the "top 5," and while it was a lovely school, TRULY, I came back to Tennessee convinced we have the superior program. So I am not at all sure what leads to "rank," but it seems kind of meaningless. I really feel good about Tennessee having seen one of the "top" schools in action.

Thanks for the info critter. I'm anxious to hear from UTK. I liked the school a lot and loved the area. I really hope it works out for me.:xf::luck:

Another question- I think there were only about 40 people interviewing the day that I was there. Were less people there this year? I noticed that a lot of the name tags were still there even after my interview.

The number Dr. Brace told me was somewhere around the normal number. It's usually about 3 times the interviewees to the number that are accepted.

Ok so my brain might be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember that Dean Brace said that he might be able to get the letters out this Friday. Am I remembering wrong?

Ok so my brain might be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember that Dean Brace said that he might be able to get the letters out this Friday. Am I remembering wrong?

He might have said that (I don't remember it from my interview day) but I seriously doubt it. Typically they are out towards the end of the time frame he gives. I'm banking on getting mine around April 2.

He might have said that (I don't remember it from my interview day) but I seriously doubt it. Typically they are out towards the end of the time frame he gives. I'm banking on getting mine around April 2.

I know deep down that you're right...but I'm still going to be stalking the mailman come Monday.;)

Anyone know about where they stand in points for phase 1? Also, do any of the current students know what the minimum cut-off for points is or how many points you had in previous years?

Anyone know about where they stand in points for phase 1? Also, do any of the current students know what the minimum cut-off for points is or how many points you had in previous years?

When I did my post mortem the second time around(2009), Dean Brace told me that the interview invite score was usually cut off somewhere around 90, and full acceptance was usually somewhere around 150. I don't know what the cut off is for wait-list vs. rejection.

If you wanna know my stats feel free to PM me, but I have no real desire to post them out in the open. :)

When I did my post mortem the second time around(2009), Dean Brace told me that the interview invite score was usually cut off somewhere around 90, and full acceptance was usually somewhere around 150. I don't know what the cut off is for wait-list vs. rejection.

If you wanna know my stats feel free to PM me, but I have no real desire to post them out in the open. :)

I think it's pretty consistently around 150--that's what my adviser told me when I applied. You can calculate a pretty good estimate of your points from grades and such with the info on their website (under "Phase 1 Evaluation").
http://www.vet.utk.edu/admissions/procedure.php

I think the interview cutoff was higher this year - I was on the "interview waitlist" and my score is well over 90.

Also, worth noting is that even if any of you are initially rejected, they go through a good portion of the waitlist. Some classmates even received a call asking if they wanted to attend as late as mid-late June, I believe.

Anyone else starting to stalk the mailman?? (Even though I know I probably won't get anything until next Saturday........) :scared::luck:

Anyone else starting to stalk the mailman?? (Even though I know I probably won't get anything until next Saturday........) :scared::luck:

Yep! Although I'm trying to contain myself until at least Monday... :rolleyes:

I do believe letters have already started going out. A classmate of mine's roomate found out today that she got in. Good luck to everyone!

I do believe letters have already started going out. A classmate of mine's roomate found out today that she got in. Good luck to everyone!

oh noooo no mail tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

oh noooo no mail tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared:

:laugh::laugh: Chill out, drink a beer(but only if you're old enough), and enjoy the ride. It will get there when it gets there and fretting won't do any good. (I love hind site being 20/20. :p)

Good luck everyone!