UTMB Galveston official thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Disenchanted 1 said:
Hey vr4nut,
vr4nut, how do you like galveston? And why did you have to go there so early...I am assuming perhaps you had to go to pre-matriculation :idea: :confused: I am moving there about 2 days before quest...!! Have you not been able to meet any current medical student....cuz I would have thought that you would have found someone!?? I guess the town is not as small as we think! Well I just hope you can find comfort in the fact that I am sure once we start we can all find that special friend/buddy that we can form bond with plus I just think people who go to UTMB are all very friendly! Hang in there and if you feel too lonely send me PM anytime.

Thanks for the support, Disenchanted 1. So far I like Galveston. I haven't experienced any crime or shady people yet, so don't be afraid about that. It does feel a bit warm here, which is what I was expecting. One nice thing is that the weather is exactly the same every single day. Since I've been here, its been upper eighties for the high, lower eighties for the low. The primary difference from the mainland is that it doesn't cool off at night; there is usually only a ten-degree separation between the daily high and low. So night will feel hot at first. But this same effect will keep us warm in the winter, so its worth it :D The reason I came so early is that I wanted to move into my house right after the previous owner moved out, so that I could have time to do any necessary repairs and also learn my way around town so that it wouldn't all hit me at the same time school started. I haven't met any med students yet- all of my neighbors are nearing the end of their residencies and I've been to campus a few times to use the computers, but I haven't talked to anyone yet. The town seems much bigger than I expected. Most of the stores that I am used to shopping at are around 61st street, which can be a 15-20 minute drive from my place. The thing is you have to stop at like every third light on Broadway, and on weekends traffic might only go 20mph. I should really try Seawall. So for everyone on the west end, the types of stores and restaurants you find and the layout of the stores' property will probably be more what you're used to. I think that's all geared more to tourism. On the weekends traffic is worse everywhere. And you have to shop for gas, because there's a shell station that will charge 1.87 when another station three blocks away is only 1.72. But once you get used to it, there's no problem because so far that difference has been consistent. That's all I have for now. Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys...
i just moved into an apt on the west end (in an apt complex off of heards lane), i chose the place basically for the same reasons you did. but i also liked the proximity to "distractions."
so far the only downside to living out there is that there is a drive to UTMB every day. oh well.

is everyone ready for the AMWA weekend?

cherry10101, PharmDMD, and everyone else on the west end: I don't know how well you know Galveston, but I was driving around today, trying to find a shortcut to 61st street, and discovered that 77th street hits Harborside. That means you can drive 5 blocks from your place to 77th and cruise down Harborside at 45mph right to campus. I think its two lanes all the way, and there is barely any traffic, and only some stoplights when you get nearer to campus. Seawall may be faster during the winter (no tourists), but I don't know. BTW, I didn't figure out how to get off on 61st, hence why I got all the way to 77th before I knew I was lost. But on the bright side, I got to see Texas A&M's branch on my way to find home :D That may have even been on a different island; I do remember going over a drawbridge before getting there :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
i am staying at the Seasons apts on 81st and seawall. there are a handful of MS1's on the island. if anyone wants to hang out before quest or orientation, PM me ... i know of a couple of parties and get togethers before quest.
nikki

vr4nut said:
cherry10101, PharmDMD, and everyone else on the west end: I don't know how well you know Galveston, but I was driving around today, trying to find a shortcut to 61st street, and discovered that 77th street hits Harborside. That means you can drive 5 blocks from your place to 77th and cruise down Harborside at 45mph right to campus. I think its two lanes all the way, and there is barely any traffic, and only some stoplights when you get nearer to campus. Seawall may be faster during the winter (no tourists), but I don't know. BTW, I didn't figure out how to get off on 61st, hence why I got all the way to 77th before I knew I was lost. But on the bright side, I got to see Texas A&M's branch on my way to find home :D That may have even been on a different island; I do remember going over a drawbridge before getting there :confused:

also... if you live on the west end. you can take the one way street,O street (after crossing over broadway), instead of harborside and this will take you to 53rd st. and then take S street Stewart) which for me takes me straight to my apt. at the Season's. vr4nut, did you go to prematriculation too. what is your real name. PM me.
nikki

The Galveston fraternity system seems really odd. I don't think I really understand the system, though. What are the thoughts of people who have been to Galveston (inside the fraternity system and out)?

i finally received the last packet, and i was suprised when i read that professional dress was preferred for orientation and while on campus. Could that mean med students don't dress down to class?

That's what it sounded like to me. I guess I need to go buy some professional attire...

lol...no guys, a recent grad told me that we just have to be in prof attire (incl coat) for days we have "clinic", not every day...but yeah, I don't think that we have to be in semi-formal attire EVERY day. Here's a good question--what scares you the most about med school?

I'm most afraid of not having a life outside of school.

what scares me most about med school? that the first time i'm responsible for anothers life, i make the wrong choice in treating them.

here's another question... what are you most excited about?

Members don't see this ad :)
cherry10101 said:
what scares me most about med school? that the first time i'm responsible for anothers life, i make the wrong choice in treating them.

hehe. Well, I think you can relax for now; it should be a looong time before they put any of us in charge of someone's life.

Just so everyone knows, I have heard that UTMB doesn't have a pharmacology class, so we need to get our own books for that and study them along with every other topic we do in school. This is according to my neighbor, who is an MD/Ph.D. resident who went to med school here. He said pharmacology was a huge part of the USMLE. I DEFINATELY want to be in PharmDMD's study group :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I received all the stuff for orientation and quest. I am really excited about this whole thing. And yes as mentioned by vr4nut, UTMB does not have an *official* pharmacology course which sux and has got me concerned!! I would love to be in pharmDMD's position. And to answer the questions

1. What am I most scared of?
Well I guess lots of things but of most concern to me is failing med school or getting an utterly low score on USMLE
2. What am I most excited about?
I am most excited about meeting new people, making new friends, and in general just experiencing life in galveston!

Ok guys, I have a question. Several people here talked about AMWA. I am really clueless about this. I have not received anything in regards to the AMWA weekend and I was wondering if someone can share with me what it is?

:oops: Thanks guys, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I've got the same performance anxiety as all of you. Getting my pharmacy doctorate and practicing pharmacy was and is still important to me, but inside, the passion of becoming a physician was overwhelming (one that not even my pharmacy peers could deny). Thus, to answer my own question regarding fear is realizing the possibility that we may not be good enough for this job we've so long aspired towards. Obviously, the only way to go is confidence, right? :D Think about it guys, there are literally tens of thousands of QUALIFIED applicants around the nation rejected/turned down for the opportunity we'll be embarking on in a few weeks. The mystique of medicine has been the source of books, movies, and an all-too-well known primetime NBC series that has spanned countless seasons. Speaking of "medically-themed" books and movies, are there some that you guys really liked (obviously Patch Adams tops my list not to mention The Doctor in the movie genre) and in books (Doctors by Erich Segahl and White Coat by Ellen Rothman) was pretty awesome. What strikes me funny is that medical school and medical training is what is always protrayed as this insanely trying time for the aspiring physician. Yes, UTMB, may not be as cut-throat as Harvard Medical School, but the end product, the physician produced from its training must compete for desirable residencies and positions alongside those graduating from our ivy-league counterparts. Our patients will expect no less that an exemplary physician from each of us, having acquired a full mastery of diagnostic skills and therapeutic rationale. Not to mention be equipped with the compassion and humanistic touch that some physicians are notorious for lacking. We've got a pretty big "white coat" to fill, and I sincerely hope that each and every one of us, with the desire to be this compassionate and competent clinician will be able to donn and wear it well. Regarding Pharmacology classes, it is one of the unfortunate tenants of the medical system today that such a vital component of training is no longer organized in one class per say. It's isn't as if they will leave out teaching us the drugs, but getting a good grasp of it and medical therapy takes time. I'm not going to boast being the Obi-wan (I dunno if I spelled that right) about drug therapy and pharmacology, but I'm certainly more than willing to help out my fellow colleagues and friends in mastering the material. I'm actually hoping that I'm not the only Pharm.D. in our class, but I won't hold my breath :oops: ..I've rambled, yet again, umm...another thing I'm not too excited about doing is obviously the blood labs (not that I can't tolerate nor deal professionally with the more gruesome side of medicine, but seeing that I don't let anyone less than a phlebotomist or highly trained nurse draw or stick my veins, I'm not too eager on having someone use my arm as a pin cushion :p ...nor am I excited about doing the same to theirs...Certainly the late nights that I recall all too well from Rx school ad nauseum isn't exactly appealing, but once again that light at the end of the proverbial tunnel must serve as the inspiration for all of us...Excitement, for me, is to meet (hopefully) a great group of friends that will make the medical journey tolerable and not to mention plausible. I don't know how much I leaned on my friends in Rx school for moral and emotional support during the more dreary periods of exams and finals. I'm sure we've each got our own "cheerleading team" in our respective home towns who'se got every iota of faith in us that we'll be succesful in this undertaking. As I'm sure many would empathize, I wish that I could clone them and bring them down with me to Galveston.. ;) ..
Obviously excitement lies in honing my clinical skills more, expanding my patient-clinician relationships, and reaching that point of graduation where your green trimmed hood is placed on your shoulders and your professors are suddenly transformed to your peers and colleagues. Yes, I know residency won't be a walk in the park either, but one day at a time. :oops: How is everyone spending their final weeks before O-day (Orientation)?

well, in my last couple weeks before orientation, i have (and will be) working at a well known home decorating store. i'll be working light hours there throughout the year (just to have a life outside of med school). but next week? i'm going to explore Houston, and also check out the parking situation around UTMB.
did you all sign up for the scribe service?

yup yup, but not to be one of the officers (dunno what that'll entail)

i'm moving down to galveston this saturday!!!! it's actually going to be quite a relief to finally move out after anticipating the event the entire summer. i'm living at 1st St in the Casa Caribe along with my two other roommates who are gonna be MS1s too. i guess that i'll be joining others in riding my bike to school too!

after hearing about how cape hatteras lucked out this past week on Hurricane Alex, i have to wonder when the next hurricane or tropical storm is going to hit galveston. i mean, the barrier island in NC got battered by the storm with oh...flooding and high winds. i've heard that the east side of the island is higher than the west side and is protected by the seawall from ocean swells, so the west side floods first during storms.

i hope to see ya'll sometime soon!

barca, you arent going to the amwa weekend? i hear its one hell of a party, and for as long as i have known you, you have NEVER missed out on a party...
lol

Hey guys,

It seems that most of you guys are heading out in the next week or so. I will be leaving around august 18th....2 days before quest. For those of you guys already there...can you give us an update on galveston!?? I am really excited but the move is getting me kinda frustrating. Anyway, just wanted to bump this thread!

Whatsup future classmates?

Galveston is gonna be so cool! All the alums I talk to along with current students absolutely love the school and grow accustomed to the town. Their piece of advice before everybody starts moving in: catch up on your sleep while you still can.

Look forward to meeting everyone during Quest/Orientation.

It'll be my first year at UTMB, and I was wondering about books. Do we need to buy most of the books or does the scribe service cover most of the material?

Hey guys , I havent posted in a while, but I am getting ready to leave for Galveston next friday, I am getting excited and nervous too! For those already there how is it going so far? and for the those going soon, cant wait to meet my future classmates!

galveston is really nice and comfortable (weather-wise) right now. not too many mosquitos yet. who's gonna be here for AMWA weekend? i'm hoping that it'll be fun since there's gonna be a shots party and other sort. i'm really excited about meeting all of ya'll that have posted on here. we'll have such a good four years...

The mosquitos aren't bad at all. When I first moved here on 7/4 I was completely swarmed by them- there would seriously be 12 of them on me at once. But I haven't been bitten since then. The city actually sprays for them- either by truck or sometimes they bomb from airplanes too. I'd say they're doing a pretty good job of keeping them away right now. One less thing to worry about for those of you anxious about moving here ;) I only wish they would spray for roaches too. Maybe I should go to a town meeting...

does anyone want to go to ikea with me sometime during orientation week

HEy melt,

I might be interested. I'll check my schedule to confirm, but yeah hopefully you can count me in.

Harold

Anyone on the threads wanna have our own little get-together during O-week since we'll probably not recognize each other on actual orientation days?

PharmDMD said:
HEy melt,

I might be interested. I'll check my schedule to confirm, but yeah hopefully you can count me in.

Harold

Anyone on the threads wanna have our own little get-together during O-week since we'll probably not recognize each other on actual orientation days?

im down. we just have to figure out a place to meet i guess.

IM down to meet and do whatever too during o-week, just let me know, im moving today, about to leave actually so i will seeyou guys soon!

jared

Is anyone getting the scribes for $125? I'm thinking about it, but I'm running out of time and I was wondering what everyone else is doing.

im moving for good one week from today (friday) and wanna make a couple friends during orientation and have some good times because i just got dumped today! good, i guess!

also, yes i got the scribes. i think its a pretty good idea.

also, go to http://www.ikea.com and you will have 4,700 orgasms.

hey guys...
ikea is like heaven on earth. i outfitted my apartment with necessities for like $400. another place to check out for random apartment stuff is lowes. i got a rug, shelves, and a couple of lamps for less than 200.

One of the second years I spoke to really pushed for buying the scribe notes. I figure $125 for the whole years notes is not a bad idea considering taking all those notes yourself would probably cost close to the same amount in ink and paper :cool:

He did recommend sending in the money asap so you can get the notes during orientation.

So, I thought I already knew the answer to this question, and I suppose I will find out for myself soon enough, but what will our actual daily schedule look like? I guess we start at about 8am every day, and then go till 12, then what, take an hour off & come back till 2pm or 5pm? I was looking at this calendar that had something down for us every day from 8-5 except for Fridays, which were 8-2. I'm just wondering where the "significant blocks of time... for independent study" during the day fit in.

I'm having mixed feelings of excitement & nervousness now. My neighbor gave me tons of old books to use and in one of them he showed me an example of how we would be expected to dissect cadavers for exams or whatever. This will be a challenge completely different from anything I've ever learned, being able to identify all kinds of tiny anatomical structures on a dissected cadaver, when everything is the same color. I just can't fathom cutting someone up and trying to find some obscure nerve, and to distinguish it from other nerves in the viscinity, especially since all specimens will vary. That just reminds me of how much I don't know, and how much I need to learn within the next 4 years here.

Yes.

Buy the old and new scribes. Just do it and save yourself a lot of heartache. We don't have a "syllabus" like other schools do, so your old scribes will serve as your syllabus. Here's ONE way you can study:

Scribes
1) Read the old scribes 1-2 days before lecture. Study them hard actually.
2) Go to lecture and take pertinent notes onto your old scribes
3) When the new scribes come out (days to weeks later), study the new scribes for your exam. In this way, you'll have covered the same material 3 times before you even begin to review for your block exam.
4) Studying/memorizing the scribe notes are more important than doing the "required" reading.

Review Books
5) Buy First Aid for Step 1 to use for your 1st 2 years. This will be your guide as to what is important. If it's in First Aid, you better know it cold. It also has the factoids and mneumonics that you need to memorize. You need this book from Day 1. Then when it's 2nd semester 2nd year, buy the most recent edition of First Aid (again). It'll have material that appeared on the latest Step 1.

6) BRS Series: Physiology and Pathology are the most important ones. You can start buying them during Pathobio.
7) Step Up: GOOD organ system review book which is what our curriculum is. It's a good idea to flip through this book before each organ system block to give you an overview, then come back towards the exams to review again.
8) Lippincott: People like Biochem and Pharm. Get Biochem for MCT. You won't read the whole thing, because you will revisit Biochem at a later date, but you may as well read as much as you can, because they will assume you know biochem in subsequent blocks.
9) Micro Made Ridiculously Simple: Get it during Pathobio
10) Pharm Cards: Either get Lippincott Pharm or Pharm Cards. I got both and took notes onto my Cards as I went through med school. Before each block, pull out the drugs that will be discussed in that block. You can look on your old scribes to see what they are. As you read (books, Lippincott, First Aid, whatever), put your notes on the cards and you'll have them ready for whenever you take your Step 1's.

vr4nut said:
So, I thought I already knew the answer to this question, and I suppose I will find out for myself soon enough, but what will our actual daily schedule look like? I guess we start at about 8am every day, and then go till 12, then what, take an hour off & come back till 2pm or 5pm? I was looking at this calendar that had something down for us every day from 8-5 except for Fridays, which were 8-2. I'm just wondering where the "significant blocks of time... for independent study" during the day fit in.

I'm having mixed feelings of excitement & nervousness now. My neighbor gave me tons of old books to use and in one of them he showed me an example of how we would be expected to dissect cadavers for exams or whatever. This will be a challenge completely different from anything I've ever learned, being able to identify all kinds of tiny anatomical structures on a dissected cadaver, when everything is the same color. I just can't fathom cutting someone up and trying to find some obscure nerve, and to distinguish it from other nerves in the viscinity, especially since all specimens will vary. That just reminds me of how much I don't know, and how much I need to learn within the next 4 years here.

I hear you Vrnut. Definitly nervous and excited at the same time. But, I'm hoping that we'll find a great bunch friends here at UTMB who will be nervous and excited along with us every day for the next four years. It definitly helped me the last four years knowing that no matter how difficult the exam is, there were 109 other furrowed eyebrows and readily depleting cups of coffees on dimly lit desks, littered with notes and texts. I guess the most important thing to relish these next 4 years is this experience, the group we surround ourselves with, and the confidence in ourselves that just as we all recieved our letters of acceptance, so too shall we be bestowed that diploma on graduation day. Yes, we will have those long hour days in lab, but it won't seem as long if you've got a group who'se sharing anecdotes about their lives while you all try to memorize the arterial supply of each visceral organ. If anyone wants to just talk it out (which i've found to help a bit as I've shared my anxieties with close friends) I'm still in H-town preparing for the trip down there this weekend. Email me and we can all swap phone numbers or something. My email : [email protected]. Good luck guys and see you soon!! :oops:

Hey guys,

I interviewed at UTMB this weekend and kind of fell in love with the school. I felt like I had great interviews and got some great feedback from my interviewers. My question for you MS1's is if you all ranked UTMB as your first choice, and what your impressions of the school were after your interviews. UTMB was my first interview, but I really think I may be ranking #1 come January. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

to be honest, i ranked UTMB as #4 because I really didn't get a good feel for the school while I was there. I didn't get that much of a chance to see the school and talk to the students since I was sorta rushed to get my flight back home. I'm here now as an MS1 (well, school hasn't started yet), but I really think that it should've been my number one choice. I probably would've had a good time at the other schools too, but after moving down here and meeting MS2 who are entirely down-to-earth and fun, UTMB should've been at the top of my list. The beach is definitely an added bonus since it gets most Texas residents away from the mundane flatness and city-life that most are accustomed to. I've heard generally great reviews of the faculty here, and they seem genuine in their desire to help the future doctors make it through med school. The living is really cheap here, and the city has its own distinctive character owing to its historical heritage. I suppose that the island provides the relaxed atmosphere that will help mitigate the tresses of med school. The people here know how to study hard and play hard as needed.

after interviewing at UTMB, i was torn between it and southwestern. i ranked UTMB as #1 because of the school's stress-reduced environment. now galveston didnt impress me much at first (sure all the growth is nice, but its still a small town with big city problems), but the 1st years i interacted with were very friendly and laid back.
i think it also helped that UTMB was my last interview. i knew by then what i needed in a school, and what i was willing to comprimise on. my advice DualSuperLead, make a list of what you want from a med school, and then another of your impressions of each school you interview at. pick the one that comes the closest...

Thanks Barca and Cherry.

All the way through school I had thought of Southwestern as my dream school, I guess just because of the prestige factor. UTMB kind of turned my world upside down, as I felt like I would really feel at home there. Granted UTMB is the only school I have interviewed at yet. However, I will have Houston and Tech over with by next week. I am glad to hear that you all are happy with UTMB and did not just end up there. I have a good feeling I may in the class behind you all next fall. Good luck with your first year!

does anyone know where we are supposed to park during orientation? I know that it says on the sheet that they sent us that a UTMB ID is required to get a pass, so does anyone have any ideas as to if we are supposed to take the shuttle etc? thanks!

if anyone is interested in getting together sometime just let me know my email is [email protected] and i am living on the west end as well off 69th street, its weird being here alone and not knowing anyone, at least i have a dog to keep me some company ha. anyways im looking forward to getting this gig on the road!

Jherr said:
if anyone is interested in getting together sometime just let me know my email is [email protected] and i am living on the west end as well off 69th street, its weird being here alone and not knowing anyone, at least i have a dog to keep me some company ha. anyways im looking forward to getting this gig on the road!

i know this is very last minute but... a bunch of MS1's are getting together for happy hour at Salsa's (seawall blvd.) starting at 5pm today. tonight is $2 you call it at molly's pub on postoffice and 21st. PM me if you are interested. see everyone at quest and orientation.
nikki

nykka3 said:
i know this is very last minute but... a bunch of MS1's are getting together for happy hour at Salsa's (seawall blvd.) starting at 5pm today. tonight is $2 you call it at molly's pub on postoffice and 21st. PM me if you are interested. see everyone at quest and orientation.
nikki

Thanks Nyyka for the invite, I didnt read your post till just now so I missed it but thanks anyways. I have to go to Austin this weekend so I wont be able to make it to quest, but I will see you all at orienation bright and early on monday, thanks again

jared

I threw away the sheet with the Quest schedule on it; could someone please tell me when and where it starts on Friday? I assume that once I get there, they will have extra schedules. Thanks in advance.

vr4nut said:
I threw away the sheet with the Quest schedule on it; could someone please tell me when and where it starts on Friday? I assume that once I get there, they will have extra schedules. Thanks in advance.

quest starts at 2pm in Levin Hall. :)

Howdy, I'm here in Galveston....and Quest starts tomorrow...... :D I was just wondering if any of you guys are here with your computers up and running......

*shrugs* just in case someone is around... my aim screen name is Deadkow2
Laters!

Kayce