UTMB (Galveston) VS. UT DELL (Austin)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntempestaNox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with my TMDSAS rankings for these two schools. I pre-matched to UTMB in Galveston, which has a solid history and track record. I also really loved Dell on interview day but did not receive a pre-match offer there. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on comparing the two schools.

I'm from Houston, so the ability to drive home and see my friends, family, or go to shows more often is enticing, but Austin would be a more exciting city to live in.

Curriculum-wise UTMB's 2 year pre-clinical curriculum seems a little slow for my taste, but Dell accelerates it into a 1 year which sounds intimidating.

I felt I could be more of myself at Dell's interview day than at UTMB, and I may enjoy the smaller class size.

I'm at a loss as to where I will receive the best clinical training and set myself up for success. UTMB has a proven track record and good STEP scores while Dell is an exciting risk.

Help me slap some sense into myself and figure this out. Please : D

Members don't see this ad.

This!!!

Dell is worth the risk.

I agree, Dell is new- the unknown can be intimidating, but it's also their mission to change what hasn't been working in healthcare. As an incoming student who has heard horror stories about medical school with the traditional model of 2 years in the classroom follow by 2 clinical years, I believe change to this model is needed. Dell is doing just that!

I agree, Dell is new- the unknown can be intimidating, but it's also their mission to change what hasn't been working in healthcare. As an incoming student who has heard horror stories about medical school with the traditional model of 2 years in the classroom follow by 2 clinical years, I believe change to this model is needed. Dell is doing just that!
If I had the choice I would go with Dell. A wise man once told me to follow the money trail and boy oh boy is a TON of money being pumped into Dell!

Reactions: 1 user