UTMB Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at UTMB soon and just wondering if there are any UTMB med students here.

Just wanted to get some feedback from you on the school.

Tell me everything you like, but also tell me AT LEAST one thing you dont like about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MSIII there. I've just taken my Step I and finished with basic sciences. Now I'm on to my clinical rotations. Academically, it's a sound school. I don't feel like I'm missing out by not going to Baylor. I actually feel very well prepared for just about anything. You've got all the opportunities of any major academic institution. Socially, on the other hand, is where I think it could be better. No matter how you try to embellish an ugly, boring city, it remains boring and ugly. I just don't like the town. There's nothing I can do about that except do plenty of away rotations and go to Houston on the weekends (which is totally feasible). If you'd like to know anything specific just reply back and I'd be happy to oblige. Good luck with the school search.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if rob's an MSIII, I guess that makes me an MSI. I haven't started there yet, but I ranked the school first on my application (interviewed everywhere in tx) and am totally happy w/ my decision. maybe you should re-ask this question in a month or so - my fellow MSI's and I will have had a chance to get into the school a little and could offer some info. (I suggest this only b/c I havent' run into too many UTMB upperclassmen on this board. I've looked as you are now.) I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have that I can answer. My email address is [email protected], if you'd like to get in touch w/ me privately. If we end up corresponding, I'll let you know my UTMB address when I learn it myself. Congrats on your interview, and good luck

bstarr

Hey Baylor21 :)

I will be an MS1 with Ringo starting this fall - I also went through the 6 week prematriculation program that they had. I can tell you what I liked and disliked about THAT, but I dont know how well it correlates to the experience during the 'real' year. Feel free to email me - my address is [email protected] - and since I do live down here, when you come for your interview, maybe I could find you for lunch or something. When is your interview? Our orientation starts the 20th, though we have QUEST the 17-19, and classes start the 27th. Let me know, ok? And congrats on getting an interview!

Star

I second Star's offer of hospitality. If you want to talk to someone while you're there (talking to students is the best way to get a feel for a school, in my experience) let me know. If you need somewhere to stay for your interview, I can set you up with a place at my fraternity house, no problem. Sorry I can't be of more assistance in terms of actually telling you things about the school.

starflyr and ringo,

Thanks so much for your kindness, I was reading the interview feeback site and there were lots of comments on there about the friendliness of students at UTMB. Obviously both of you fit well into that mold. :D

I sent both of you emails.