UTMB vs LongSOM 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolidDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I am conflicted on ranking UTMB & Long in terms of priority for the TMDSAS match. I have been fortunate to have pre-matched to UTMB. I know it comes down to our personal choice & where we see ourselves, but the problem is that I see myself at both of them haha.

I really like both of them & they are great schools!! I was wondering if I could get y'alls opinion on the pros vs cons for these two schools? Maybe which ones you would choose or want to choose over the other? Anything helps! Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Have not looked too deeply into either schools, but I would probably pick UTMB over Long. I prefer Galveston over San Antonio because I like the island vibe and its proximity to Houston. However, UTMB students often have to travel for clinicals while Long has more centralized sites. It's already been mentioned, but UTMB has true p/f which is important. They're great schools and pretty evenly matched, so it's a win-win either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Also thinking about this, since it can impact whether or not I withdraw from UTMB interview :unsure:

I'm leaning more toward Long because being in a big city is important to me, and they did emphasize that the graded pre-clinical is competency-based, so everyone can get As theoretically.

Does anyone know how they might compare in terms residency and matching?

Thank y’all so much for your input!! :) This has helped a ton!! I also went to the Preview Day for accepted students today & it also for sure helped actually seeing it all in person. Loved meeting the staff and students and touring campus!! Hopefully Long will soon do one as well so it’ll make my decision easier haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
This isn't a very strong argument, it's like saying premed is competency-based - all you need is a 92 for an A. No matter how you cut it up, graded preclinicals suck for the students. Luckily Long SOM has many other great aspects going for it, plus with Step 1 being P/F it softens the blow.

UTMB publishes their match list yearly and it is pretty good. Long is pretty cryptic about their matches.

UTMB Match List: Match List 2020 - post what you got
Long: Match Day 2019 - Magazines of the Schools at UT Health San Antonio

From what I gather - they both seem to do pretty well and keep all residency doors open. Long seems to bring in a little stronger of an incoming class (based purely on MSAR stats)

Why is it not a good argument. Long does pass/fail with an additional pass honors. Getting As during preclinical allows you to distinguish yourself. And because the grades aren’t curved to only have 10% of the class with pass honors, everyone can theoretically have pass honors. Kellyanne explained it really well during the interview.

Why is it not a good argument. Long does pass/fail with an additional pass honors. Getting As during preclinical allows you to distinguish yourself. And because the grades aren’t curved to only have 10% of the class with pass honors, everyone can theoretically have pass honors. Kellyanne explained it really well during the interview.
Because having all honors during preclinical doesn't distinguish you very much in the eyes of program directors and it places stress on the class. Making the honors cut-off will be challenging, and even if everyone can theoretically achieve honors: there will be increased angst and toxicity because of it.

It sounds great when the admin explains the grading. MS1 on interview socials may not have perspective on it. But ask many of the MS3's, MS4's and they'll give you a better scope on what the lived experience of having graded preclinicals is.

Sources: Program Director Survey, conversations with my home program directors, and my M3/4 friends at Long SOM

Reactions: 1 users
This isn't a very strong argument, it's like saying premed is competency-based - all you need is a 92 for an A. No matter how you cut it up, graded preclinicals suck for the students. Luckily Long SOM has many other great aspects going for it, plus with Step 1 being P/F it softens the blow.

UTMB publishes their match list yearly and it is pretty good. Long is pretty cryptic about their matches.

UTMB Match List: Match List 2020 - post what you got
Long: Match Day 2019 - Magazines of the Schools at UT Health San Antonio

From what I gather - they both seem to do pretty well and keep all residency doors open. Long seems to bring in a little stronger of an incoming class (based purely on MSAR stats)
Hi, just adding some data regarding the matches for Long for more information.

Attachments

• long match.pdf
    131.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users