UTSA versus other Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

midn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I finally got an invite to interview from UTSA, and I'm trying to decide if I really want to go for the interview or just decline it and let some other person take my place.

To tell you the truth, I consider UTSA a safety school, but I don't think I know enough about the school to fully commit it to such a designation. Their pamphlet isn't working right now, and I can't find their USMLE score averages. I was wondering if anybody could provide some opinions about UTSA if they have already interviewed there or attend there.

I hope I do not offend anyone by prioritizing it so lowly. It's just that their interview is on a Monday which is one of the most inconvenient times for an interview ever, and I'm just not completely sold on going there if I do get an acceptance.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think its hard to find those stats on SA...people have told me their USMLE scores are somewhat lower than the other UT schools, but I don't know that for sure. Lots of people seem to really like it though, and of course the USMLE is really up to you. If you're only interested in Tx schools, and two of your three interview invites are from Baylor/UTSW....I'd consider going. I suspect both schools reject people with your stats with enough frequency to make you stay up at night, and Baylor is a smallish class. Ask yourself this....would you prefer to be at SA or not in med school at all?

Lol... I'd work under the assumption that you interview until you have an acceptance. If you know you'd never go there, you really shouldn't have spent the extra $10 to apply.

I just don't like leaving things up to chance. If you were to take out all of the psychos who should never go to med school in the first place and those who don't know what they are getting into, I'm pretty sure UTSW and Baylor could fill all their seats with incredibly high stat people.... but they don't. And because they don't, I wouldn't loose a year over a silly thing like my pride.

Last thing is to never base your decisions on USMLE scores. It's a good reason why few med schools, if any, post them on their websites for pre-meds to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can become a doctor after going to UTHSCSA. I'd go to the interview.

Alright, so I finally got an invite to interview from UTSA, and I'm trying to decide if I really want to go for the interview or just decline it and let some other person take my place.

To tell you the truth, I consider UTSA a safety school, but I don't think I know enough about the school to fully commit it to such a designation. Their pamphlet isn't working right now, and I can't find their USMLE score averages. I was wondering if anybody could provide some opinions about UTSA if they have already interviewed there or attend there.

I hope I do not offend anyone by prioritizing it so lowly. It's just that their interview is on a Monday which is one of the most inconvenient times for an interview ever, and I'm just not completely sold on going there if I do get an acceptance.

Thanks.

It's not much of a safety school if you don't use it as one. It would suck to not get in anywhere and then look back at the missed opportunity...

GO to the interview. It's a decent school even though it's not top-ranked.

If you don't go to the interview, i'd think that you don't know much about this process. It doesn't matter if you have the greatest numbers in the world, this process is too unpredictable. You should go to all until you get an acceptance for sure, and then at that time, you can let go of your spot if you get accepted at SA. Besides, what better way to find out about a school you don't know than actually going and finding out personally?

And I'm not just saying this because I go there =) . You'd be missing out a lot by not going and meeting the great faculty and students. Gluck.

I guess you guys are right. Although I thought I did well enough at my UTMB interview to get an acceptance, but it could have been exactly the opposite of what I perceived. If I take off UTHSCSA off my list, that would only leave UTMB as my only mid-tier school.

Oh well, time to suck it up and get further behind in classes.

I guess you guys are right. Although I thought I did well enough at my UTMB interview to get an acceptance, but it could have been exactly the opposite of what I perceived. If I take off UTHSCSA off my list, that would only leave UTMB as my only mid-tier school.

Oh well, time to suck it up and get further behind in classes.

Umm, please don't take this in a rude way, but as great as you think you are statistically or performed in your interview, I don't really think you are qualified to claim you did well enough to get acceptance. That's just what I think. I kind of understand where you are coming from with not wanting to go to this interview, because there are schools I applied to and interviewed at that I really would not want to go to, but I realize that worst case scenario those might be the only schools who accept me, and they can still grant me an M.D. Remember there are more qualified applicants than there are seats. Hope that helps >:p

Although I thought I did well enough at my UTMB interview to get an acceptance...

Take it from someone who went thru this whole process, perceived interview performance has almost nothing to do with your admission decision. I and everyone I know tanked some interviews yet got into schools, and we blew away interviews and then got rejected. This is both because you have no real idea what to base interview performance on, and because the interview is a relatively small part of the decision as long as you don't come across as a psycho.

Although I thought I did well enough at my UTMB interview to get an acceptance

PLEASE try your hardest to not be in that mindset. Last cycle, I *thought* that all 4 of my UT interviews went very well...and here I am having to re-apply. You NEVER know.

I think you people took what I said the wrong way.

I don't mean that my interview so unbelievably great that I must get an acceptance, I meant that I don't think I said something so offensive that I should be rejected.

I know there are plenty of other factors.

Please don't listen to these people. You should be fine with the interviews you've had. DO NOT INTERVIEW at San Antonio...it would be a waste of your time.

:D

Please don't listen to these people. You should be fine with the interviews you've had. DO NOT INTERVIEW at San Antonio...it would be a waste of your time.

:D

Yes, please don't go so those who actually want to go there have a better shot

Lol... I'd work under the assumption that you interview until you have an acceptance. If you know you'd never go there, you really shouldn't have spent the extra $10 to apply.

I just don't like leaving things up to chance. If you were to take out all of the psychos who should never go to med school in the first place and those who don't know what they are getting into, I'm pretty sure UTSW and Baylor could fill all their seats with incredibly high stat people.... but they don't. And because they don't, I wouldn't loose a year over a silly thing like my pride.

Last thing is to never base your decisions on USMLE scores. It's a good reason why few med schools, if any, post them on their websites for pre-meds to see.

This is the best assumption to have.