UTSD-Houston vs. TTUHSC-El Paso (both IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Say Cheeze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The University of Texas School of Dentistry at Houston
- in-state
Pros:
  • Have family/friends in Houston
  • Established school
  • Worked with/know many alumns who loved it there
  • Great student atmosphere
Cons:
  • Have heard clinical experience is not as strong compared to other Texas schools
  • Houston traffic - potentially will be commuting from home (45 mins)
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso
- in-state
Pros:
  • During my interview, faculty stated we will be seeing patients as soon as first semester as D1s
  • Living in an underserved area can really broaden what students can see/treat
  • Part of an inaugural class (can be a con as well?)
  • Facilities are really nice and brand new
  • Class size ~ 40 people
Cons:
  • Location (~11 hr drive from houston)
  • No family/friends/support system in El Paso
  • Brand new school; may have some hiccups along the way
Cost of attendance is almost identical with both schools. Definitely leaning towards UTSD-Houston, but the only thing making me reconsider is the potential for more clinical exposure at TTUHSC-El Paso.

Would love any thoughts/feedback, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

go to the more established school that is closer to home
won't it be cheaper too if you live a t home?

Reactions: 1 user
go to the more established school that is closer to home
won't it be cheaper too if you live a t home?
Thank you for the response!
Yes it will definitely be cheaper if I stay at home. If most of my first year is online, then I would for sure.
If not, I would consider living closer to school, fighting that Houston traffic can be brutal lol

Houston, El Paso hasn’t even begun its 1st class yet. A degree from Houston would be more respected IMO just because El Paso so new

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Houston, El Paso hasn’t even begun its 1st class yet. A degree from Houston would be more respected IMO just because El Paso so new
No one cares where you go to school my guy.

OP it sounds like you’ve got roots in Htown and don’t want to upend everything to chance it in West Texas. Personally I’d have picked El Paso because I like that area and New Mexico more than Houston but I don’t have family in either.

Thanks for the response! As exciting as it sounds to be a part of an inaugural class, I feel like it can definitely come with its downs.

No one cares where you go to school my guy.

OP it sounds like you’ve got roots in Htown and don’t want to upend everything to chance it in West Texas. Personally I’d have picked El Paso because I like that area and New Mexico more than Houston but I don’t have family in either.
Thanks for the input! When I visited El Paso, I loved how close it was to New Mexico and the mountains! I can definitely see the appeal!

I personally wouldn't recommend anyone to go to a new school, especially when you will be in the inaugural class since you will be the guinea pig. No matter how well the curriculum is set, it won't be solid for a couple of years. The only exception is if that's the only school you get into.

Being in El Paso will definitely provide you with a chance to meet a different set of patients. But Houston itself is pretty diverse so...

Reactions: 2 users