UTSW IM- what's the deal? Updated opinions? (2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nobadboykeepsclean

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UTSW's reputation as a malignant program has been clouded by rumors that the new PD has changed things. I find it hard for one person to change the culture of an entire program. Especially in the span of two or three years. Thoughts?

And then I've heard that it's ICU heavy compared to other programs, that specialty months are instead ICU months-how true is this?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your interests? If you want to do cards, GI or pulm CC, it is a great place (ie the things that are more acute). I went to a place that had a ton of ICU rotations and it is not a bad thing. You can only do so many months of wards.

UTSW wasn't malignant when I interviewed there years ago. It seemed like a very strong clinical program.

UTSW wasn't malignant when I interviewed there years ago. It seemed like a very strong clinical program.
Says the guy who went to Hopkins - a quite hard program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW's reputation as a malignant program has been clouded by rumors that the new PD has changed things. I find it hard for one person to change the culture of an entire program. Especially in the span of two or three years. Thoughts?

And then I've heard that it's ICU heavy compared to other programs, that specialty months are instead ICU months-how true is this?

can i ask what does malignant mean to you?

i'm a resident (PGY2) @ UTSW right now. I can tell you that

1) the PD is amazing and is changing the culture at UTSW. Change never is quick, but things have been moving fairly rapidly (4+1 system; the addition of more consult months, etc..)

2) this program is ICU heavy + very resident driven. Can expect ~9 MICU months and ~9 CCU months over your three years here. You can get good at making decisions, managing sick patients, and handling high patient loads.

If you have any more questions, feel free to msg me. Great program all around; fantastic matches, and once in a lifetime experience.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm a resident (PGY2) @ UTSW right now. I can tell you that

1) the PD is amazing and is changing the culture at UTSW. Change never is quick, but things have been moving fairly rapidly (4+1 system; the addition of more consult months, etc..)

2) this program is ICU heavy + very resident driven. Can expect ~9 MICU months and ~9 CCU months over your three years here. You can get good at making decisions, managing sick patients, and handling high patient loads.

If you have any more questions, feel free to msg me. Great program all around; fantastic matches, and once in a lifetime experience.
Given that greater than 6 critical care months (total, counting both CCU and MICU) is expressly forbidden by the ACGME RRC for IM, I somehow doubt what you're saying. Or your program is flatly breaking the rules.

See:
IV.A.2.c).(1).(a)
required critical care rotations (e.g., medical or
respiratory intensive care units, cardiac care units)
(Core) which cannot be fewer than three months and
more than six months over the 36 months of
training; (Detail)
Source: https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/2013-PR-FAQ-PIF/140_internal_medicine_07012013.pdf

so what the higher levels would feed us is that because some of the rotations would also include taking care of floor patients, like cardiology where you covered both the CCU and floor, then it doesn't necessarily fall under a strict ICU rotation. but yeah, we did quite a few ICU/cards months. as to the OP, i was there before all of the new changes were brought into place by the new regime which only makes the program more appealing. but i never thought the program was malignant, you just had to work hard.

so what the higher levels would feed us is that because some of the rotations would also include taking care of floor patients, like cardiology where you covered both the CCU and floor, then it doesn't necessarily fall under a strict ICU rotation. but yeah, we did quite a few ICU/cards months. as to the OP, i was there before all of the new changes were brought into place by the new regime which only makes the program more appealing. but i never thought the program was malignant, you just had to work hard.
Why was a new "regime" brought in?

I can only speculate that it was to bring about a fresh face and someone who might help bring some change to the program especially with upcoming ACGME rules at that time (or simply she was tired of being PD) . I have nothing but the utmost respect for our prior PD and have nothing bad to say about her but as anyone from Parkland can tell you, she was very intimidating and not someone whose sh*tlist you wanted to be on

I can only speculate that it was to bring about a fresh face and someone who might help bring some change to the program especially with upcoming ACGME rules at that time (or simply she was tired of being PD) . I have nothing but the utmost respect for our prior PD and have nothing bad to say about her but as anyone from Parkland can tell you, she was very intimidating and not someone whose sh*tlist you wanted to be on
So not exactly resident friendly.

Can someone give updates on the program since this discussion? I loved the interview day there and residents seemed very energetic and "happy" during the dinner. I want to know more about the changes that the PD has brought around. Is it still ICU/CCU heavy?

Can someone give updates on the program since this discussion? I loved the interview day there and residents seemed very energetic and "happy" during the dinner. I want to know more about the changes that the PD has brought around. Is it still ICU/CCU heavy?
I forgot how ICU/CCU heavy they are, but I really loved the interview day as well, and while the residents aren't "west coast friendly," the program doesn't seem to be malignant anymore. Not sure what exact changes have been implemented though.

I finished training just as the new PD came in so I got to experience some of the new changes. For instance, the introduction of the firm system which IMO has its plus/minuses. Also the schedule now became 4+1 which is definitely a upgrade from the prior (I remember as an intern being lame duck on Parkland MICU and then having to drive to the VA the next day to start VA inpatient). I think its a great training program so if you "loved" your interview day, then go with your gut and rank it high.